Site Update (Mar 23 2019):
Additions and updates since Mar 16 2019
Rifle Components - Geissele (finally posted the Super 700 trigger info); H&P Manufacturing (has added great images and a video of their 3D-printed suppressors in action to their FB page - very cool)
Ammo & Ammo Components - I Q Metals (notwithstanding that their website looks to be down long term - they are buried in building actual product - they confirmed by phone that they have a significant supply of their T50 bullets in stock - reach them at mail at IQMetals.com); Lehigh Defense (has added a 257 gr. 338 and a 446 gr. 408 to their “ELR” bullet line and 768 and 800 gr. 50 cals to their “match solids” bullet line)
Gunsmiths - Go Ballistics (Saskatchewan, Canada - will export to the US)
Admin - I’m continuing my semi-annual link checks. So far I’ve gotten through the Reloading Equipment page. If you feel that I have removed a site “incorrectly”, please e-mail me at webmaster at elr-resources.com. Thanks.
Site Update (Mar 16 2019):
Additions and updates since Mar 2 2019
Admin - I’m continuing my semi-annual link checks. So far I’ve gotten through the Stocks section of the Rifle Components page (pending some return e-mails). If you feel that I have removed a site “incorrectly”, please e-mail me at webmaster at elr-resources.com. Thanks.
Site Update (Mar 9 2019):
No updates, system down for repair.
Site Update (Mar 2 2019):
Additions and updates since Feb 23 2019
Ammo & Ammo Components - Lehigh Defense (relentless reporter Simon Lowe/UK just let me know they have posted specs for their new .375 caliber 380 and 408 gr ELR copper solids, claimed G1 BCs of 1.118 and 1.149, respectively, very comparable to Warner - prices seem very reasonable)
Info Sites & Forums - “375 CheyTac, 300 Norma Magnum, 416 Barrett...” Facebook group (has changed its name to Extreme Long Range Shooters Association/ELRSA - it does NOT profess to be an association; this group is currently “closed” but might be accessible thru its “old” URL)
Admin - I’ve started on my semi-annual link checks. So far I’ve gotten through the Rifles page (pending some return e-mails). If you feel that I have removed a site “incorrectly”, please e-mail me at webmaster at elr-resources.com. Thanks.
Site Update (Feb 23 2019):
Additions and updates since Feb 16 2019
Rifles - CheyTac (added a model - Perses in 338 LM and 338 NM with MDT chassis; semi-renamed M300 as Praetorian/M300)
Rifle Components - H&P Mfg (finally added a sell page for their 3D-printed “ugly” 338 LM Ti suppressor)
Site Update (Feb 16 2019):
Additions and updates since Feb 9 2019
Rifle Components - Modular Driven Technologies/MDT (Canada, bipod)
Gunsmiths - North Ridge Rifles (MT)
Ranges - Rayner’s Range (OH - max .338 LM)
Info/Info - removed multiple forums/info sites that appear dormant
Site Update (Feb 9 2019):
Additions and updates since Feb 2 2019
Rifles - Blue Mountain Precision; Dolores River Rifles
Rifle Components - American Rifle Company (updates to the Mausingfield action, per Ted’s FB page, “Lastly, our beloved Mausingfield has undergone a major upgrade. Enhancements include an extractor-side locking-lug guide rail that cooperates beautifully with its Mauser extractor to effectively resist bolt binding, a redesigned bolt stop that matches those of the Nucleus and the Archimedes for durability, and a redesigned bayonet style bolt shroud enabling you to easily remove the striker assembly without the use of tools. But perhaps best of all is the reduction of bolt rotation from 90 to 83 degrees that increases the clearance between the scope and your thumb when cycling the bolt. Lastly, the ejection port has been enlarged for better top-loading access through a mag well that can now accommodate AI CS mags as well as BDL style bottom metal, and yes, it can handle long Wyatt mag boxes.”); Lane Silencers (suppressors); Valdada (added to bipods; introduced a 0-200 MOA adjustable scope base, adjustable in 50 MOA increments)
Gunsmiths - Sawtooth Rifles (WA)
Site Update (Feb 2 2019):
Additions and updates since SHOT Show, Day 4 report (Jan 26 2019)
Rifles - Alamo Precision Rifles (custom builds)
Rifle Components - American Rifle Company (follow-up from SHOT on the extraction mechanism for the new Archimedes action - see here); Swaroviski (announced that they will be offering an MRAD version of their X5i 5-25x56 scope starting in early April); Timney (added the “Elite Hunter Remington 700” trigger - yes, should have been reported prior to SHOT)
2019 SHOT Show: Day 4 (Friday, Jan 25, 2019)
NNs/nothing new exhibitors (recall that if a company recently announced, prior to the start of SHOT, those announcements are NOT included here) – Alexander Arms, Annealing Made Perfect/AMP, Best Dxx Gun, Big Horn, Dillon Precision, Eberlestock, Fierce, Harris (bipods), Howell Munitions, Innovative Arms, IR&D, JP Enterprises, Kowa, MagnetoSpeed, Precision Hardcore, PPU, Target Vision, Snowy Mountain Rifles, and Western Powders.
Accuracy Solutions – was showing their F.A.S.T chassis (the “F” stands for Eduardo Abril de Fontcuberta, who the chassis was designed “with” – he’s the “head” of the Ko2M); decoded, it’s a McRee Precision chassis with an integrated, very robust version, of their BipodeXt (Archimedes lever) extended bipod; initially available in both Rem 700 LA and Savage LA inlets, CT and 50 BMG action inlet versions will be available by Summer; initial models available in early April for under $1000, $1200ish for the CT/BMG models. Pic (the grip is standard AR fitment but is not the one to be shipped with this chassis). They were also showing a shrouded, front-exhaust muzzle brake, which they will be importing from Sogaard & Nicholson/S&N of Denmark – available in 338 LM- and CT-capable models at approx $200, available in Mar. See https://www.sogaard-nicholson.com/modular-brake?fbclid=IwAR0SaFU3p2ltS6NOpO6lu0fH36mZ5qlbGRUXR1xL8NIEcauPuoq19CQ6j28
Accu-Tac – advised that they have made a bipod line update (actually a replacement – all but the 50 cal model), adding several feature improvements; the new models are identified with a “G2” in the model name, see http://www.accu-tac.com/bipods); they also advised that an ARCA mount is coming in March [Buyers – if you like the new specs, watch for the “G2” ID in the seller’s description and on the part.]
AG Composites – advised about their new “Gunner” model (not on display), compared to their Apline Hunter, there are angular/linear features on the buttstock and forearm and the forearm is about 1” longer; sorry, missed availability, please call
Athlon Optics – advised that they have added a new reticle for their Cronus BTR 4.5-29×56 scope, see https://athlonoptics.com/product/cronus-btr-4-5-29x56-aprs1-ffp-ir-mil/
Blackwater Ammunition/BWA – (on Thursday) I was very privileged to speak with Mr. Nicola Bandini, Founder Partner and CEO of Blackwater Ammunition. We spoke regarding a cartridge shown in one of the new Blackwater Ammunition "catalogs", the "10x100 BWA". Suffice to say, after speaking with him, it appeared he would probably have preferred that it not have been pictured or captioned in anything available for public consumption. This cartridge is part of a firearms "ecosystem" (my word, not his) that might well be a game-changer for ELR and other extreme distance "application" shooting. Beyond my pinioning, Mr. Bandini was kind enough to allow me to post that he expects to field the entire ecosystem (in-house-developed, commercially-available, rifle thru ammunition offerings) by or at SHOT Show 2020. That's all I was told it is OK to say...for now. Stay tuned as I hope to post "updates" as development progresses.
Dave Manson Reamers – advised that they have reamers, in stock, for the Tubb 33XC and 37XC.
Explorer Cases – was showing their new long rifle case, #13513 (53 1/8 interior length), available now, see https://kodiakdefence.com/Tactical-Sniper-Rifle.php
Kodiak Defense – a new (to me) rifle builder out of Canada, offers a 338 LM build, the “Talon Sniper .338 Lapua Magnum Weapon System”, see https://kodiakdefence.com/Tactical-Sniper-Rifle.php
MOA Rifles – advised that they have added the 338 LM Ackley Improved (AI) chambering option for their Extreme series rifles.
NECO/QuickLOAD – a 12/31/18 data update is available to QL owners, it adds a 12/18 CEB bullet data update and powder-description additions (“C”, for copper fowling reducing and/or “T”, for temp sensitivity reduction capabilities of that powder). There are also some added powders for shooters in Europe (powders not typically available in the US). NOTE: David Tubb, when pulsed on NECO’s recommendation not to use “Tubb Dust” with “C”-identified powders, David replied (by e-mail), “I would use it with ALL.”
Noreen Firearms – I spoke at length with Phillip Noreen, President of Noreen, regarding their new “ELR” rifle. [YES, that rifle was already on my News page back on 1/12, and posted about on forums. However, given some “responses” posted on SH, I felt more coverage was appropriate.] This rifle is based on a DLC-coated, McMillan TAC 50-clone action with Noreen-sourced and chambered barrel, in a Cadex or XLR chassis. Rifles will be available chambered in .50 BMG, .50 DTC, .416 Barrett, .375 or .408 CT, and 338 LM. They will be offering both rifles and stand-alone actions. Of note, the bolt is one-piece in 9310 (not identified on their product page). The rifles will run approx $6500 with the Cadex chassis and $5500 with the XLR chassis. Target pricing for the action is under $2000. They will also be offering billet 6061 aluminum magazines, clones of the McMillan, for approx $250, available in April. I asked Phillip whether they might offer customers the option to go sans-barrel (giving customers to opportunity to source barrel and chambering elsewhere), and he said they probably would. Pic and info at https://onlylongrange.com/elr-bolt-action-rifle/
Northrop/Grumman (Lake City) – St. Marks Powder/SMP and Northrop/Grumman both had booths at SHOT, looking for major-players in the ammo world. In speaking with the Lake City rep I was told that they already have a “Match” line of .50 BMG ammo (M33 variant) in production (for a non-commercial customer). They said it shoots “2-3” mean radius groups at 600 yards” and that, in that rep’s opinion, the associated brass is as good as Lapua or RWS. I asked whether a new customer (2+ million rounds/year and up) could option for 100K of their order in “match”…said they probably could. The idea being to showcase the customer and provide that customer a second-front sell opportunity. I also passed along the suggestion that they check with the editor of FCSA’s Very High Power/VHP magazine on doing an article on that ammo…and their “claims”. He took down the booth number and sounded interested in pursuing. We’ll see.
Trigger Tech – advised there will be a two-stage version of their R700 model by Summer.
Ultimatum Precision – advised that their 338 LM bolt face action is now looking like Summer (2019); it will be a line extension of their approx .820” body diameter, 3-bolt-lug action design – a very nice design with tight tolerances and no lug raceways (uses the bolt release internal protrusion, and a corresponding slot in the bolt body, for alignment). See pics of the pre-338 LM version at https://www.ultimatumprecision.ca/products/ultimatum-deadline-action
Velocity Triggers - advised that their R700 trigger is now (best guess) May.
2019 SHOT Show: Day 3 (Thursday, Jan 24, 2019)
1. NNs/nothing new exhibitors (recall that if a company recently announced, prior to the start of SHOT, those announcements are NOT included here) - ATN, Bell & Carlson, Black Hills, Blaser, Christensen Arms, Corbon, Double Tap, Gemtech, Hornady, H-S Precision, IWI, KFS/Versa-Pod, LaRue Tactical, Leupold, Lilja, Lothar Walters, Lyman, Magtech, Mauser, Minox, Montana Rifle Company, MTM, Norma, Plano, PMC, RAUG, Redding Reloading, Victrix, Weatherby, WOLF Performance Ammunition, and Zeiss.
2. Bergara - notwithstanding that they dropped their 338 LM rifle a year or so ago, I was advised that their Custom Shop will build rifles in that chambering
3. Cerakote - announced a "heat transfer coating" product, see their brief YouTube video at https://youtu.be/K9CreQvj8_Y The only color is a dull gray; shipping in the Spring in both oven-cure and air-cure versions.
4. David Tubb - spoke with him in the KFS/Versa-Pod booth where he had one of his Adaptive Target Rifles on display; he was showing his adjustable bag rider buttstock attachment for that rifle - which will be shipping in 30-45 days with a price of $50. He advised that die sets are now available for his 33XC and 37XC cartridges and that his "Tubb Nose Ring" tool will be shipping in 2-3 months at a price of $250, additional caliber bullet holders and cutter sets will be about $110, instructions and suggested settings will be included - pic. Note that bullets need to be pointed prior to cutting the nose ring, tool not included. Finally, something that is both amazing and may be revolutionary, "Tubb Dust". Pic. Literally this is a golden-color "powder" that gets mixed with your RIFLE POWDER (10-12 grs/pound of powder) via tumbling in a regular (very clean) tumbler for 5-10 minutes. The result - ELIMINATION of copper fowling in your barrel!. Available now at $35 for 350 grs - $1/pound of powder "coated" at 10 grs/pound.
5. Dead Air Suppressors - (an associated party) advised that they will be adding a 338 LM-capable model this year.
6. DYX International - a new SHOT exhibitor, was showing their 3.5-20x50 Laser Quantum Riflescope with integrated 3000m LRF; they were also showing a range of 2000m and 3000m range LRF products; see http://www.dyxint.com/ for info on all but the scope.
7. Gunwerks - they were showing their new "Verdict LE/MIL" rifle (which they sell commercially), including in 338 LM and NM chamberings, accepting orders now (pics #1, 2); also on display was their new "Verdict Component Stock", available now with a Rem 700 LA inlet to support 338 LM/NM-capable action (pics #1, 2, 3); they have also added a mil reticle to their Revic scope; and finally, they were showing "Premium Brass" casings including 338 LM, head stamped circle G.
8. iota - was showing their new "Klutch" Carbon fiber stock, shipping now, see https://iotaoutdoors.com/klutch
9. Jagemann - has added 338 LM and 338 NM brass to their formal offerings, available thru retail partners in about two months; this year, as a favor, one of their senior folks brought in a sample of the 338 LM version (otherwise booth staff had nothing to show - that senior person went and gathered it up for me to actually touch), looked fine, was real; hopefully much better execution this year (the 338 LM product was "announced" a year ago, at SHOT).
10. Kodiak Defense - this Canadian rifle builder was showing their Talon sniper rifle in 338 LM, info and pics at http://kodiakdefence.com/Tactical-Sniper-Rifle.php They will be importing to the US.
11. Leica - was showing their Rangemaster 2800.COM LRF, see http://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2018/Leica-Rangemaster-CRF-2800.COM
12. Nikon - added another LRF, the 2000-max-yard, Monarch 2000, see http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/rangefinders/monarch-2000-laser-rangefinder.html
13. Nosler - added the model 48 "Mountain Carbon" rifle (including in 338 Nosler), see https://www.nosler.com/m48-mountain-carbon-rifle); they also added three new .338 caliber bullets, the 300 gr AccuBond Long Range (#58518), the 300 gr RDF (#53445), and the 250 gr E-Tip (#59385) - see https://www.nosler.com/bullets/
14. Remington - I was advised that, effective immediately, their Custom Shop will be building "custom rifles" to customer spec, the only "required" component is a fully prepped Rem action (claimed as well trued as any available elsewhere).
2019 SHOT Show: Day 2 (Wednesday, Jan 23, 2019)
1. NNs/nothing new exhibitors (recall that if a company recently announced, prior to the start of SHOT, those announcements are NOT included here) - ADG, B&T/Atlas, Badger Ordnance, Drake Associates, Elite Iron, G.A. Precision, Oakwood Controls, Pelican, Seekins Precision, Sightron, SilencerCo, SKB, Steyr, Tangent Theta, and Thor Global.
2. AOA Tactical - new name (carry-on company) for the X-Caliber VIP line of vibration-dampening bipods was showing product in the NeXT area; the current design/production models have improved dampening materials and optional extended length. Info and pics at aoatactical.com
3. Archangel - was announcing their new Savage 110/111 "Precision Elite Stock"; shipping in Feb
4. Ashbury Precision Ordnance/APO - was showing a new buttstock, named SERiSS, much lighter than the current one with the same adjustability; available mid-Feb. Pics #1, 2.
5. Blackwater Ammunition - now with US operations (parent is in Malta), was showing a wide range of ammunition offerings including 338 LM, 375 CT, and .50 BMG (also showed 12.7x108 Russian and their proprietary "10x100 BWA"); the .50 BMG casings are of a proprietary aluminum design, lower caliber casings of conventional design in brass (appears by Peterson). Also displaying and to be offering a range of copper solid bullets, including .338, .375, and .50 caliber. Their website is NOT current.
6 Burris - was showing its new "XTR III" model scope, 5.5-30x56, 34mm tube, FFP with new SCR 2 reticles in Mil and MOA; available in June; MAP: $1849
7. Condition Red Ordnance Manufacturing - was showing their CR7 rifle, available in 338 LM; available now, $5500 direct; pics on their FB page - https://www.facebook.com/ConditionRedOrdMfg/
8. Curtis Custom - was displaying their new HELIX action (it replaces their Axiom LA model); available with a 338 LN bolt face, includes an integrated recoil lug and a detachable 20 or 40 MOA Pic rail; slightly larger tenon at 1.1x16; DLC bolt; direct price is $1250, complete receiver and bolt DLC coating for an additional $200; expected to be shipping March 1st; interested parties can message them thru their FB page to get on the list for the first production batch (also a pic there) - https://www.facebook.com/ccustom/
9. CZ-USA - (new to me) they also offer suppressors; their .338 LM-capable "TI Reflex" was on display; info and pic at https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-ti-reflex/ Pic.
10. Duplessis Rifles - new player, unique, switch-barrel rifle with a wide variety of chassis options; info and pics at https://www.duplessisrifles.com/
11. Fix It Sticks - was introducing their "Precision Rifle Kit" various current tools plus their new multi-segment, metal, cleaning rod/bore clearing tool (small kits itself); the added tool will be available stand-alone for approximately $100; available in March.
12. Henderson Precision - was showing their powered case trimmers; two models - one a power-drill-driven unit and one with integrated power; available in Feb; pics and info at https://www.hendersonprecision.com (drill down thru the Shop page).
13. Horus Vision - is now in the LRF business; they were showing their 2000 yard-capable "HOVR 1.0 2000 BT" model with Bluetooth; they were also showing a weather meter and info on a new ballistic app - the LRF and meter sync and provide a solution display in the LRF using their app; the LRF is priced at $429, the meter at $115, and the app is available for free download; all are expected to be shipping by April. Pics #1, 2.
14. International Barrels Inc/ibi - this Canadian, button-rifled, Sunnen-honed, barrel maker (builds barrels for the PGW Timberwolf rifle) was showing product in the NeXT exhibitor area; currently offering barrels up to .338 caliber, 1.450 OD, and up to 48" length based on available raw stock (call). Their capability will be up to .50 cal by early March (they are rebuilding a vintage Pratt & Whitney gun driller/reamer for the extra capability); interestingly (to me) Sunnen has told them they are the only company in Canada with one of their new, very-well-received, barrel honers.
15. Kalispel - (new to me), they also do custom aluminum rifle cases, sized to user requirements; also noted that they are working on a new .50 rifle case, hopefully available by the end of '19
16. Mad Minute Suppressors - new player, was showing their rather unique suppressor; possibly a .338 LM/NM-capable version by EOY; interesting - includes internal spinning elements which run on air bearings; overview info at https://madminute.com/ Pic.
17. McRee Precision - was showing its "KO2M" chassis with adjustable forearm tube extension (adjustable up to 9" - the tube attach pieces slides forward in a channel in the base chassis); this chassis supports actions up to 2.0" OD and the forearm tube supports barrels up to 1.800 OD; available now.
18. Nemesis Arms - advised that their .338-NM-capable ANSR (Advanced Nemesis Sniper rifle) take-down rifle will be shipping by May. Info and pic at https://nemesisarms.com/rifles.html
19. Newcom Optik - was showing one of its three new versions of their LRM3500M LRF; models included are the NC-35M with GPS, the NC-35C with Bluetooth, and the NC-35BT with both GPS and BT; max distance of 5.5 km; available now; info and pics at http://www.newcon-optik.com/products/laser-rangefinders/lrm3500m/
20. Thunder Beast - was showing their TBAC bipod (info, pics, and video here - https://thunderbeastarms.com/news/announcing-tbac-bipod/)
21. Vigilance - discussed a new "top secret", semi-auto, .50 cal (or .50 DTC) rifle, possibly coming in 2019, the "M19IR" (IR standing for inertia driven); has an aluminum receiver, bolt locks into a barrel extension; said there are three patents on the design; that was the limit of the share.
22. Yankee Hill Manufacturing - said they are in development of a replacement for the 338 LM-capable suppressor which they discontinued last year, probably not available this year.
2019 SHOT Show: Day 1 (Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019)
As in recent years, on Day 1 I went to specific booths throughout the entire show area, ones that I had particular interest in (heard that something was coming or just a company of usual ELR interest). I will do wall-to-walls on subsequent days. I only talk to folks about ELR and ELR-related products (and products that span the topic but are not ELR-specific per se - like reloading gear), so, typically, no info on other products. Photos are taken as I go but, because of the bandwidth available in hotels, I do not include them in my forum posts – I will add them to my News page when I get home (tentatively they will be added on Saturday, Jan 26, late PM).
"NN" denotes "nothing new" – for booths that I visited but where I found nothing new or nothing that had not already turned up in one of my site's weekly News updates - search my News page using your browser's on-page "find" feature, much better than my site's search feature (News is at https://www.elr-resources.com/page16.html). [If you think I missed something that you feel is ELR-related and new "at SHOT", please e-mail me to let me know what you think I missed. Please be VERY specific - my call on whether ELR-related and new "at SHOT". Please e-mail me at webmaster at elr-resources.com. BTW, I only consider 338 LM and higher-performing chamberings/products as ELR. Finally, seems the trend to pre-announce products was in full view this year with several majors putting out press releases weeks, even months, ahead of SHOT. Also a lot of "new (since last) SHOT" pronouncements rather than new in or around that actual show dates.]
So here goes, in alpha order (after NN).
1. NNs/nothing new exhibitors (recall that if a company recently announced, prior to the start of SHOT, those announcements are NOT included here) - Accu-Mag, Alliant, Barrett, Bullet Central, Cadex, Cutting Edge Bullets/CEB, Defiance Machine, Elfmann Tactical, H&P Manufacturing (their very impressive 338 LM-class, 3D-printed, suppressor is ready for mass production, direct end-user price: $1500), Desert Tech, Federal Premium, Fort Scott Munitions, Geissele, GRS Riflestocks, Hodgdon, Kahles, KRG, LabRadar, Magpul, Masterpiece Arms, McMillan Fiberglass Stocks (but I will provide pics of Paul Phillips 6000 yard rifle - was in their booth - pics #1, 2, 3, 4, missing was that the CEB bullets used were Lazers), Oehler Research (the model 89 should be shipping in the next 90 days), Pacific Tool and Gauge/PTG, Patroit Valley Arms/PVA, RCBS, Ruger, Safety Harbor, Savage, Sierra Bullets, SIG Sauer (confirmed that the BDX3000 BLRF's laser wave length is 905 nm), Sniper Extreme (the designated booth was MIA), Steel Core, Steiner, Stiller, Strategic Armory Corps (Armalite, Surgeon), Swarovski, Warner Tool Company/WTC, XLR.
2. Accuracy International - was showing their AXSR multi-caliber rifle, to be available in Q3 in .338 LM and 338 NM. There will be a limited run of the associated kits mid-year. Features include AR-style pistol grip, ambi 2-stage safety, T-slots in place of the sample's M-Lok, unique mags to accommodate the various cartridge lengths (rather than inserts and standard mags), and throw levers rather than knobs for the buttstock adjustments. Pics #1, 2, 3, 4. The timing of the new multi-caliber AX50 is still TBD.
3. American Rifle Company/ARC - was showing their new Archimedes action (a scaled-up ELR version is coming in early 2020 with 338 LM and CT bolt face options). Has a very unique primary case extraction mechanism - the normal rotation of the bolt, on raising the bolt handle, only clears the bolt lugs from the recesses in the front of the action, the case extraction is done using a front-to-rear PIVOTING of the bolt handle - visually almost like working a toggle switch. The result is that the case rim is now the actioned party in removing the case from the chamber. They were showing the Archimedes action in their Xylo (pron. c-low) chassis. Rifles are on the horizon - in ELR chamberings is TBD. Pics #1, 2.
4. Applied Ballistics Weapons Division/ABWD - I asked them about the 338 and 375 EnABELR casings they have been working on with Peterson Brass. As suspected these are more than casings, there are cartridges and there will be ammo. Rather than me possibly messing up the info translation, see https://appliedballisticsweaponsdivision.com/enabelr-cartridges/ Bryan said the reamer drawing will to released into the public domain very soon. Manson will be doing the reamers; brass availability TBD as to whether they will come from Peterson or ABWD. I also asked Bryan about the ELR Expo shown on the ELRC website for many months. He advised that they had been unable to put together a stand-alone expo (insufficient "industry" interest/support) but that they may piggy-back onto a PRS event (this year) that has ELR segments.
5. Bushnell - was showing a new spotting scope, the LMSS 2, an 8-40x60 model with an MSRP of $1499 - available "later this year". They were also showing a new Forge scope model, the 3-24x56 with 34mm tube. No specs or pics of either.
6. Kestrel - two new items, press release and details here, https://kestrelinstruments.com/kest...ineup-serve-needs-long-range-hunters-shooters
7. Manners Composite Stocks - Tom Manners advised they are working on their ELR 2.0 stock, currently in fixturing. It will have a 5" longer forearm but will still be the same weight as their current ELR stock - thanks to removal of the side bulges in the forearm and removal and simplification of parts of the adjustable buttstock (to have fixed LoP - order the length you need), more of an F-class appearance. Expected to be available starting in April (not on display).
8. March - was showing a compact version of the Genesis scope, 4-40x52 with 300 MOA elevation (250 up, 50 down) with FMA-MT ELR reticle. They were also showing the March-FX, wide-angle (large eye box), High Master FFP scope, the 5-42x56 HM with 140 MOA elevation. The new Genesis also has the wide-angle feature. No pics - data sheets too dark to reproduce.
9. Peterson Brass - as previously reported, they are adding a loaded ammo line. 338 LM and 338 MN offerings expected within a couple months. "Wild Tubes" (straight-wall, "basic" brass casings) in .338 LM and CT rim dimensions expected within 3-4 months.
10. RCC Brass - I questioned them about their CNC-produced casings. They are available in ODs up to 13 (thirteen) inches, to customer spec - with the same 6-8 week lead time as their very wide range of the casings that they currently produce. They claim consistent case capacity down to .001 cm3 (they do not measure using H2O) and neck wall thickness held to 2 tenths (.0002). Their engineer made it clear that the customer needs to be VERY specific as to what tolerances they require and they will produce casings accordingly. As you might expect, not cheap.
11. Proof Research - was showing a new version of their TAC line rifle, the "TAC III". To be available in up to 338 LM using Defiance actions and their own chassis. "Months off" on the chassis, thus the rifles.
12. Schmidt & Bender - no new scopes, just more features, including a Multi-Turn III elevation turret and the GR2ID reticle. Unclear to me that that reticle is actually new since the brochure has (I believe) been on their website for a while - see https://www.schmidtundbender.de/phocadownload/absehen/Flyer_GRID_DIN_A5_4-Seiter_WEB.pdf
13. Serbu - I was told that a quick-change barrel option is coming to the RL-50; also that the RL-50 has a new, cleaned-up, aluminum lower coming - to consolidate bits and pieces in the current design into one machined unit.
14. U.S. Arms - a new player in the muzzle brake world. They were displaying a .50 cal version that they claim provides more recoil reduction than the (IMO) industry-leading AR-50 brake. Shipping now as custom orders, pics to follow. [I was shown a cell phone pic of their proprietary interior design - "turbine-looking" (their words), sort of.] Pics #1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
15. US Optics - was showing their new model SK scope, 5-30x56, 34mm tube, Horus and their JDRC plus standard mil/mil reticles; moved the parallax adjustment into the windage knob. Pics #1, 2.
Site Update (Jan 19 2019):
Additions and updates since Jan 12 2019
Rifles - Desert Tech (announced that improvements in manufacturing have resulted in a $1600 reduction in the MSRP of their HTI models)
Rifle Components - Elfmann Tactical (ELF 700 trigger); Magpul (Rem 700 LA stock released - hunter, folding, and fixed versions); Sightron (released its 2019 catalog - added Zero Stop to 13 scope models); Thunder Beast (announced their 338 Ultra SR/second rendition QD suppressor); XLR (new for 2019 - Mercury tube recoil kit and thumb rest - their new chassis model is only available for SA receivers); Yankee Hill Machine/YHM (enters the rifle chassis business w/ the MARC series of minimalist chassis, including those for Rem and Savage LA builds)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Cutting Edge Bullets/CEB (notwithstanding their list of several new bullets in their SHOT Digital Press Release, there are only 6 actually new, all Lazers - 575, 600, and 650 gr .458 caliber and 750, 800, and 850 gr .510 - text comment, no pics); Outer Edge Projectiles (Australia, hunting and target turned, copper solids in .338, .375, .460, and .50 calibers - the black coating shown in pics is NOT moly; they do not currently export to the US); Warner Tool/WTC (PVA’s FB page is showing “new Flatlines”, a 285 gr .338, a 480 gr .408, and a 505 gr .416)
Reloading Equipment - Lyman (2019 catalog released - added reloading press stand, Brass Smith Case Trim Xpress trimmer/powered, balance beam scale, trickler, and stainless steel pin magnet)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - SIG Sauer (released its 2019 catalog - includes the KILO3000BDX 10x42 BLRF, range to 5000 yards with support for pairing with the Kestrel Elite Series w/ AB); Vortex (announced the Fury® HD 5000 10x42 BLRF, 5000 max range, MSRP:$1600 - WOW!)
Site Update (Jan 12 2019):
Additions and updates since Jan 5 2019
Rifles - Desert Tech (announced the replacement of the SRS-A1 with the SRS-A2 - weight reduction, new barrel clamping system, new trigger, added stability); Nemesis Arms (finally added their ANSR rifle to their site, its available in 338 NM); Noreen (added the “ELR Bolt Action Rifle” repeater, available in 50 BMG, 50 DTC, 416 Barrett, 408 CheyTac, 375 CheyTac, 338 Lapua w/ Cadex or XLR folder stock, “action based on McMillan receiver inlet”); Saltzman Gun Works (custom builds)
Rifle Components - Saltzman Gun Works (R2 chassis, ELR version coming)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Peterson (has added 338 NM brass to their line - Grafs link, nothing yet on the Peterson site; interesting development info at that link); Peterson (SHOT digital press release noting 338 and 375 EnABELR brass, “the EnABELRs are a case that we worked really close with Bryan Litz on. He will be making an announcement at SHOT Show about them.” - The AB as in Applied Ballistics)
Reloading Equipment - K&M (added multi-spindle case prep machines)
Misc/Other Misc - Oehler (has released a detailed flyer on their “BC ChronoTM System: System 89 Ballistic Coefficient Chronograph”)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Leupold (announced the RBX-3000 TBR/W Rangefinding Binocular, max range of 3000 yards)
Info/Info Sites & Forums - added 4 FB Group listings (NOTE: some are closed/private groups, meaning you will need to request to be added to the group to view the content)
Site Update (Jan 5 2019):
Additions and updates since Dec 29 2018
Ammo & Ammo Components - Berger (in an ad in Shooting Industry Magazine, “the ELR Match Solid Bullets are available in .375 caliber with 379 and 407 gr offerings.” - nothing yet on their website); Federal (coming in 2019, “TROPHY COPPER: ...and 338 Lapua Magnum (ammo) offerings. Copper-alloy construction provides up to 99 percent weight retention, and the polymer tip and boat-tail increase the ballistic coefficient.” - no further info available)
Reloading Equipment - Frankford Arsenal (is adding a single-stage, 338 LM-capable, reloading press - Midway link, nothing yet on their website - the design is very similar to the Forster Co-Ax press but with no priming capability; an advantage is that there is no front overhang, mounts flat on the top of the bench)
Site Update (Dec 29 2018):
Additions and updates since Dec 22 2018
Rifles - VOERE (added the X4, a switch barrel in 338 LM, 375 CT, and 408 CT; added the X5 in .50 BMG, not on their site yet, info and pics on TFB)
Site Update (Dec 22 2018):
Additions and updates since Dec 15 2018
Rifles - Cadex (new for 2019 - upgraded their CDX-D7 Shepherd rifle to include their new DX2 Evo trigger - selectable between single and double stage)
Rifle Components - Cadex (new for 2019 - DX2 Evo trigger; added bottom metal for their CDX-R7 LA, CDX-33, and CDX-50 actions; added the MX2 Tactical Muzzle Brake w/ external threads for a compact suppressor - up to .338 caliber, will be standard with the 2019 CDX-R7 Shepherd rifle; added a longer-leg version of their Falcon bipod, adds 2”, will also offer an extension kit); Leupold (has “announced” an MOA reticle version of its Mark 5 HD model, 120 MOA elevation - NRA Rifleman Jan ‘19 ad); Nightforce (“announced” additional ATACR models for 2019, including a 7-35x56 SFP with Mil-C or MOAR-T reticle, a 7-35x56 F1 with new Mil-XT reticle, and a 5-25x56 F1 with Mil-XT reticle, availability in Jan or April - not on their website yet, EuroOptic links)
Site Update (Dec 15 2018):
Additions and updates since Dec 8 2018
Nothing new this week.
Site Update (Dec 8 2018):
Additions and updates since Dec 1 2018
Ammo & Ammo Components - Peterson Cartridge Company (announced the launch of “Peterson Select”, match brass - “If you weighed and measured all of the casings in the box, the highest weight and the lowest weight, and the longest casing and the shortest casing would be no more than 1 grain and .001” apart from each other. Derek J. Peterson, President”; includes 338 LM, 375 CT, and 408 CT in 50 pieces boxes)
Gunsmiths - Robinson Precision Rifles (UT); Twisted Precision Rifles (TX)
Ranges - Broadwater Rod & Gun Club/TX (has upgraded their range with steel out to 2086 yards)
Site Update (Dec 1 2018):
Additions and updates since Nov 24 2018
Misc/Target Impact Viewing Systems - ShotMarker (works at “over 2 miles”)
Site Update (Nov 24 2018):
Additions and updates since Nov 18 2018
Ammo & Ammo Components - Sako (TRG Precision ammo in 338 LM)
Site Update (Nov 18 2018):
Additions and updates since Nov 11 2018
Gunsmiths - ES Tactical (UT - a Desert Tech barreling specialist)
Retailer/E-tailer - CORE Shooting Solutions
Training - Arena Training Facility (GA - out to 2200m, .50 BMG OK)
Site Update (Nov 11 2018):
Additions and updates since Nov 4 2018
Rifles - Remington (added Custom Shop even thought it is unclear which models they will produce in 338 LM)
Site Update (Nov 4 2018):
Additions and updates since Oct 28 2018
Rifle Components - Wedgetail Industries (Australia, suppressors)
Site Update (Oct 28 2018):
Additions and updates since Oct 21 2018
Rifles - Spider Firearms (removed, basically out of business, also repeated unacceptable sales practices)
Rifle Components - NEMO Arms (suppressors)
Site Update (Oct 21 2018):
Additions and updates since Oct 14 2018
Rifles - The Rifle Specialist (“PRS-700” in 338 LM)
Rifle Components - BLK LBL (bipods integrated into the handguard, including one for the Sako TRG-42A1)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Hornady (announced 33 Nosler brass for 2019)
Reloading Equipment - Hornady (announced 33 Nosler “Custom Grade” dies for 2019)
Misc/Spotting Scopes - Leupold (announced the “SX-5 Santiam HD 27-55x80mm”)
Site Update (Oct 14 2018):
Additions and updates since Oct 7 2018
Rifles - Ruger (has added 338 LM to their Ruger Precision Rifle/RPR line)
Reloading Equipment/Aids - Shooting SHED (UK, bullet/cartridge comparator tools - they ship to the US and will do custom comparators for extreme VLD bullets and large bore/wildcat cartridges)
Misc/Rifle Cases - Mashak Engineering Solutions (custom case foam - using the customer’s actual rifle, they do very precise inlets, examples on their FB page)
Site Update (Oct 7 2018):
Additions and updates since Sep 30 2018
Rifle Components - Crimson Trace (scopes), Farley Manufacturing (triggers); XLR (has added a handguard bench rest plate with M-LOK attach)
Reloading Equipment/Aids - Dead Center Sports (length-to-lands/LTL gauge incl 338 LM)
Gunsmiths - Dead Center Sports (PA)
Site Update (Sep 30 2018):
Additions and updates since Sep 23 2018
Rifles - Ensio Firearms (Finland); Ritter & Stark (removed, gone)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Cutting Edge Bullets/CEB (has added 902 and 1002 gr, .50 cal MTACs)
Ranges - Shooters Gauntlet (PA - 1500 yards); Triple C Ranch (TX - 2000 yards); West Texas Long Range Shooting (TX - 3500 yards)
Site Update (Sep 23 2018):
Additions and updates since Sep 16 2018
Rifles - Ashbury Precision Ordnance/APO (has finally posted specs for their current rifle offerings - albeit with the notation that all those specs are being updated, call); North Ridge Rifles (custom builds); Piercision Rifles (custom builds)
Rifle Components - 406 Bullets (“Ckye-Pod” bipod); JARD (has added DBMs including for 338LM); Curtis Custom (has added a .338 LM bolt face option for its Axiom action - not in the spec but in the feature selection drop down); March (Genesis final spec done, available to order in the UK - 9/17 post - taking pre-orders for Christmas delivery)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Thunder Ammo (has added its first .460 Steyr ammo offering - 560 gr TA solids, Bertram/TA custom brass, RWS primers, Alliant powder, 3200 MV from the (discontinued) Steyr HS 460)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - SilencerCo (removed “Radius” LRF - discontinued and there are no plans to replace it)
Admin - added many Facebook links throughout the site
Site Update (Sep 16 2018):
Additions and updates since Sep 9 2018
Rifles - AccuGun (South Africa); Ritter & Stark (Austria - TFB has reported that they have “filed for insolvency”; unable to confirm so their links remain; website has been 404 for months; latest FB post is from July 17)
Rifle Components - AccuGun (South Africa - .338 LM thru .50 BMG; insufficient info to add to receiver matrix); Flavio Fare (Italy - there triggers are expected to be available thru Bruno by late Oct/early Nov); iota (scope mounts); Pierce Engineering (finalizing their CT-capable action, single shot model 10X, repeater model 10XR - preliminary pics and info here, see August 17 post); I also cleaned up the actions listing to correctly reflect the action capability based on bolt face rather than specific cartridge - can’t believe no one has ever called me on this in seven years.
Gunsmiths - added Mile High Shooting (CO) and Warner Tool Company/WTC (NH)
Cartridges - David Tubb (33XC and 37XC, 338 LM rim size, longer bodies - preliminary pic and info here, see August 7 post)
Admin - my semi-annual link check has been completed. If your link is gone, please let me know the new web URL and/or FB link. Anyone finding bad links, please e-mail me at email@example.com. Thanks.
Site Update (Sep 9 2018):
Additions and updates since Sep 2 2018
Rifle Components - RPA (introduced a new bipod, info on their FB page, Sep 7)
Reloading Equipment/Misc - Frankford Armory (added hinged ammo boxes, including for 338 LM)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Desert Tech (TACSOL updated to 2.0 for iOS, Android user support to follow)
Admin - continued with my semi-annual link check, completed the Ammo & Ammo Components, Reloading Equipment, Miscellaneous (Products), Gunsmiths, Ranges, and Retailers/E-tailers pages. If your link is gone, please let me know the new web URL and/or FB link. Anyone finding bad links, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.
Site Update (Sep 2 2018):
Additions and updates since Aug 26 2018
Gunsmiths - Northern Precision Rifles (IN)
Admin - continued with my semi-annual link check, completed the Rifle Components page. If your link is gone, please let me know the new web URL and/or FB link. Anyone finding bad links, please e-mail me at email@example.com. Thanks.
Site Update (Aug 26 2018):
Additions and updates since Aug 19 2018
Rifles - ARMES Christian SALVA (Italy, added the “Carabine Extreme Long Range” in 338 LM/LMAI/SnipeTac, 375 and 408 CT; single shot, 36” barrel)
Rifle Components - Rifle-Precision-System AS/RPS (Norway, muzzle brake for 338 LM plus bipods)
Admin - I’ve started on my semi-annual link check [Rifles page completed - dropped some companies that no longer have a web presence, or have otherwise gone away, and some that have received bad reps or seem to have lost any ELR focus; added some FB links. If your link is gone, please let me know the new web URL or FB link. Anyone finding bad links, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.]
Site Update (Aug 19 2018):
Additions and updates since Aug 12 2018
Rifles - Snipex (Ukraine - those identified “semi-automatic” are actually single shot with automatic case ejection)
Rifle Components - Snipex (Ukraine, 100 mil, incline-adjustable, scope base); Terminator (added second US reseller); XLR (their rear “tactical bag rider” is now shipping)
Misc/Spotting Scopes & Tripods - Swarovski (added two new tripods)
Site Update (Aug 12 2018):
Additions and updates since Aug 5 2018
Rifle Components - McMillan Fiberglass (introduced the “Adjustable A6” stock)
Ammo & Ammo Components - RCC Brass (updated their listing to include 18 additional cartridge cases which are on the Cartridge page but not listed on this page; all are CNC machined from rod, not drawn, and built to order, not to stock; they also do one-off designs, including very high pressure versions; low minimum quantity and reasonable setup fees for one-offs; expensive)
Site Update (Aug 5 2018):
Additions and updates since Jul 29 2018
Rifle Components - Ivey Shooting (their site is back up - new layout with updated specs and online ordering); Magpul (enters bipod market)
Reloading Equipment - Annealing Made Perfect/AMP (has added the “Mark II” induction annealer - includes the AZTEC software upgrade and other new features; also announced the “AMP MATE” autofeeder - max of 338 LM and you need a Dillon or Hornady large rifle case feeder to front-end the AMP MATE)
Site Update (Jul 29 2018):
Additions and updates since Jul 22 2018
Misc/Other Misc - Erik Cortina Tuners (barrel tuners, which they will produce for ELR-class rifles)
Admin - Seems our “friends” at Google have decided, “Your site MUST be secure or we will tell the world it is not (and - between the lines - if it is not, possibly our search engine will block access...in the future)”. Since this site is neither e-commerce nor does it capture any user info, this announcement hardly seemed worthy of concern. That said, when my hosting company offered a free http-to-https “transition”, I decided to accept. Now this is an https site - note the URL and the lock symbol in the URL display area. The only downside (minor), is that we lost the “hit counter” (lower right of the home page). Actually, it CAN still be seem, IF you go crazy for that info and hit the “show all content” button, which appears for a few second at the bottom of the home page on first entry (at least under Internet Explorer). Too much time spent on this topic...
Site Update (Jul 22 2018):
Additions and updates since Jul 15 2018
Rifle Components - Accuracy International (announced the availability of a competition trigger for the AXMC and other rifles, also optional trigger shoes; made in the US exclusively for the US market); Bix ‘n Andy (now offering the previously-announced trigger for Barnard actions); East Ridge Gun Co/State Arms (muzzle brakes); Hausken (Norway, suppressors)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Peterson Cartridge Company (is now incorporating an anti-tarnish coating for its brass that also adds lubricity and mar-resistance; implementation in .338 and larger cases starting with lot W1TL0100)
Misc/Chamber Reamers - Dave Manson (announced immediate availability of reamers for (1) .416 Barrett Match finisher for Barrett/Raug brass, (2) .416 Barrett finisher throated for CEB bullets, and (3) .416 Barrett Improved full length sizer die reamer)
Misc/Other Misc - Pacific Tool and Gauge (firing pin protrusion gauge)
Gunsmiths - Applied Ballistics Weapons Division (chambering of barrels up to 2.5” OD and 46” long)
Site Update (Jul 15 2018):
Additions and updates since Jul 8 2018
Rifle Components - Bix ‘n Andy (has released trigger shoes for their TacSport trigger; added TacSport Pro model in single and two-stage)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Lapua (their previously-announced .338 NM brass is now listed on their website and SKU’d up at Bruno’s, price TBD)
Misc/Other Misc - LabRadar (has released its mobile app for Android and Apple)
Misc/Ranging & Target Solution Aids - Federal Premium (added a FREE, mobile, ballistic calculator app for Android and Apple)
Site Update (Jul 8 2018):
Additions and updates since Jul 1 2018
Rifle Components - Keystone Sporting Arms (stocks); Phoenix Precision (bipods); Warner Tool Company (muzzle brake added)
Misc/Rifle Cases - Pelican (announced an addition series, VAULT, which includes long rifle cases)
Gunsmiths - Hatcher Gun Company (NE)
Cartridges - .375 Liebert
Site Update (Jul 1 2018):
Additions and updates since Jun 24 2018
Rifle Components - XLR (slick, new, rear bag rider coming soon for the Envy chassis/Tactical Lite buttstock - see pic)
Reloading Equipment/Aids - Giraud (case and bullet comparator gauge for 338 LM and .50 BMG)
Ranges - Central Coast Long Range Shooters (California, open to the public, low-cost membership, steel to 1400 yards, no .50 BMG, otherwise AOK)
Training - Steyr Arms Training Academy (AL)
Site Update (Jun 24 2018):
Additions and updates since Jun 17 2018
Rifle Components - Brux Barrels (nice new website, very reasonable prices)
Site Update (Jun 17 2018):
Additions and updates since Jun 10 2018
Ranges - Rebel Ridge Outfitter (KS, has advised they now have steel out to 3600 yards)
Misc/Ranging & Target Solution Aids - Barrett (BORS has been discontinued/removed)
Site Update (Jun 10 2018):
Additions and updates since Jun 3 2018
Rifles - PGM Precision (France, has added an online product page for the “Mini Hecate 2”)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Bertram (Australia, has added an additional US reseller, “Bertram Brass”; NOT their company, just a reseller; offerings, so far, include 338 Edge, 338 LM, 338 NM, 338 SnipeTac, 375 CT, and 408 CT)
Site Update (Jun 3 2018):
Additions and updates since May 27 2018
Rifles - Anzio Ironworks (noting that the Anzio 20/50 cartridge is no longer listed as a cartridge option on their website, I called and spoke with Mike Remo, the company honcho - he confirmed that, since they remain a custom firearms shop, it is still available, just, as always, expensive)
Rifle Components - Geissele (while not yet shown on their website, both single and 2-stage models of the “Super 700” trigger for Rem 700-type rifles are SKU’d up on Midway)
Site Update (May 27 2018):
Additions and updates since May 20 2018
Rifle Components - Murphy Precision (added new Pic scope bases, including for BAT actions - provides a Ti option that BAT does not); Pendleton Composite Stocks
Admin - replaced xls file viewer links (Microsoft has discontinued its viewer products)
Site Update (May 20 2018):
Additions and updates since May 13 2018
Reloading/Aids - AutoTrickler and AutoThrow (Canada; automated initial charge plus automated trickler)
Site Update (May 13 2018):
Additions and updates since May 6 2018
Rifles - JJ Rock (JJR-375, image and specs posted)
Rifle Components - BAT (new, smaller EX action coming, the EXS - shorter and lighter than the current EX action, CT and .50 BMG boltface options, similar prices to the EX - more info here, where they are taking pre-orders); Helix 6 Precision (CF-wrapped barrels, max .338); Hells Canyon Armory (CF-wrapped barrels, max .338)
Reloading - Accuracy One (added a “precision primer (seating) gauge”, including support for .338 LM rim-size cartridges); Wilson (has added a full length, bushing-type, sizing die in .338 LM)
Misc/Shooting Rests - Lenzi
Ranges - Stengel State Habitat Area Range/Colorado West Gun Club (CO, max 1760 yards, no cartridge restrictions)
Site Update (May 6 2018):
Additions and updates since Apr 29 2018
Rifle Components - Blake Barrel and Rifle (cut rifle barrels incl .375); Trijicon (introduced 3 new scopes, including the 100 MOA or 29.1 MRAD Accu-Power 5-50x56 SFP)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - SIG Electro-Optics (added the BDX (Ballistic Data Xchange) line of LRFs, available as a combo with select SIG scopes - max 800 yd solutions, and announced a BLRF); Steiner (added its first BLRF product, the 8x30 “LRF 1700” with max range of 1859 yards)
Retailers/E-tailers - EBACO
Training - Shooters Gauntlet/Rockwell Tactical Group (PA, up to 1500 yards)
Site Update (Apr 29 2018):
Additions and updates since Apr 22 2018
Ammo & Ammo Components - Peterson Brass (seems to have moved beyond Grafs - now also stocked at Brownells, Eurooptic, and Shoot Long, the latter two are cheaper than Grafs and Brownells, at least for 375 CT)
Site Update (Apr 22 2018):
Additions and updates since Apr 15 2018
Rifle Components - Loan Peak Arms (RAZOR 338 and RAZOR-Ti 338 actions - 338 LM bolt face, single shot and repeater; soon adding FUZION 338 and FUZION-Ti 338 models with integrated Pic rail and recoil lug)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Kestrel (Kestrel LiNK Ballistics - FREE Android app for specific Kestrel products); Strelok (Strelok (FREE), Strelok + ($5.40), and Strelok Pro ($12.40) - ballistic calculators for Android, Pro version also on Apple OS)
Gunsmiths - Gruning Precision (CA)
Site Update (Apr 15 2018):
Additions and updates since Apr 8 2018
Gunsmiths - Sinister Arms (removed - no longer taking orders; had a very bad experience with them)
Ranges - Jackson County Sports Park Shooting Complex (OR); North Cascades Sportsman’s Club (WA); removed the following ranges as uncommunicative in regards getting info on cartridge restrictions and longest target distance (Emert Ranch/TX, Superior Game Ranch/MI; Volusia/FL)
Cartridges - Hill Country Rifles/.375 Spinella (a .375/50 BMG variant - intro video)
Site Update (Apr 8 2018):
Additions and updates since Apr 1 2018
Rifle Components - Timney (added another Rem 700 bench rest trigger, the #502B)
Reloading Equipment - Ramshot (has added load data for its new Long Range Tactical/LRT powder, including loads for .338 LM)
Site Update (Apr 1 2018):
Additions and updates since Mar 25 2018
Rifle Components - Defensive Edge (Terminator action - works with all their cartridges but they are currently allocating all actions to their rifle builds); Kahles (announced the K5-25x56i scope, due to ship in August)
Cartridges - .338 Terminator and .375 Terminator (Defensive Edge’s largest cartridges)
Training - Desert Tech/Deliberate Dynamics (max of 3000+ yards, .50 BMG OK)
Admin - completed semi-annual link check; some Range and Training listing are TBD, waiting on replies (will be updated as received); dropped several listings that had either gone away or their current “profile” seems a poor match - if one of your favorites is no longer shown, please e-mail me and I’ll try harder to see if there is a fit; if anyone finds a bad link, please contact me at email@example.com, thanks.
Site Update (Mar 25 2018):
Additions and updates since Mar 18 2018
Rifles - Wilska & Landen/W&L Firearms Oy (Finland, “C Series Large Magnum” in .338 LM)
Rifle Components - Wilska & Landen/W&L Firearms Oy (Finland, repeaters actions - “CM-LM” with .338 LM bolt face and “CXL” with CT or .50 BMG bolt face; include an adjustable trigger and integrated STANAG rail and recoil lug; also barreled actions with up to a 36” long barrel - no known US distribution)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Hasler Bullets (Italy, copper alloy solids in .338, .375, .408, and .416)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Kahles (has entered the BLRF market with the “Helia RF” in 8x42 and 10x42, both with a max range of 1500m)
Site Update (Mar 18 2018):
Additions and updates since Mar 11 2018
Rifles - VOERE (I found a UK reseller, that happens to be focused on ELR, that will export VOERE rifles to the US, Hammer-Pair)
Rifle Components - Defiance (has discontinued their Mutant series actions, all other series remain in place); Steiner Defense (Germany, announced the M7Xi4-28x56 scope w/o Intelligent Firing System/IFS and with IFS, the latter shipping to the US in the Fall)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Blackwater (was advised that the cases used in their aluminum-alloy-cased .50 BMG ammo is reloadable up to 3 times and that they will be offering those cases standalone later in ‘18); Murom (Russia, primers, including oversize .CT and .50 BMG)
Reloading Equipment - Lenzi (Italy, reloading presses - carried by PMA, including the .50 BMG-capable “Big Cartridge” model)
Cartridges - added CIP spec links for the .375 CT, .416 Barrett, and .416 TYR
Admin - continuing with my semi-annual link check (stalled at Ranges, waiting for range operator feedback)
Site Update (Mar 11 2018):
Additions and updates since Mar 4 2018
Rifles - Steyr (adding a new model, “SSG M1” in .338 LM)
Rifle Components - GRS (announced the GRS Bifrost stock in glass fiber composite with rubber grip surfaces, highly adjustable, inlet for Rem 700 LA); March (at IWA they introduced the Genesis 6-60x56 scope with 400 MOA of elevation, 300 up; non-round body; integrated, non-adjustable Pic mount; $5000 in the US, 4 months until first shipment; great video on the tech here)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Blackwater Ammunition (Malta, .50 BMG ammo in “super alloy/die case aluminum”cases, 600 and 770 gr solids, video); Jagemann (showing .338 LM brass on their site but I have yet to find a reseller, appears Natchez is their full line reseller, so watching them)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Applied Ballistics (announced the availability of the “Bushnell Ballistics App powered by Applied Ballistics® Ultralite™”, available for both Android and iPhone...for Bushnell scopes)
Admin - continuing with my semi-annual link check (completed Reloading Equipment, Misc, Gunsmiths, and most of Ranges - dropped some smiths that are no longer accepting work; trying to get current on cartridge restrictions for Ranges, dropped a few ranges along the way that do not support at least a .338 LM)
Site Update (Mar 4 2018):
Additions and updates since Feb 25 2018
Rifle Components - Kahles (announced the K525i scope, 5-25x56, available in August)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Cutting Edge Bullets/CEB (has added 425, 450, and 475 gr .408 caliber Lazers; 450, 475, 500, 525, and 550 gr .416 caliber Lazers; and 475, 500, 525, and 550 gr .416 caliber MTACs to is line)
Admin - continuing with my semi-annual link check (completed Ammo & Ammo Components and started into Reloading Equipment)
Site Update (Feb 25 2018):
Additions and updates since Feb 18 2018
Rifles - Easr Ridge/State Arms (advised they will also chamber in .416 Barrett and .50/.510 DTC); Steyr (has added the multi-model, “Carbon” line with a carbon fiber stock, including the option to chamber in 338 LM); ZMT (nice set of pics of their TOR .50 BMG rifle here)
Rifle Components - Berger’s Equipment (advised that they are now taking orders for their very spacy “stock system”); Curtis Custom (advised that both their Axiom and Vector actions will be available with .338 LM bolt face...and that a new model action is expected to be available by the end of the year in CT bolt face); major update to the Receivers matrix (added 3 Cadex, 2 Curtis Custom, East Ridge, and JJ Rock)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Barrett (is now showing that they have adopted RWS primers for their new, very-top-of-the-line, and pricy ($8.90 each), .416 Barrett ammo - great move!)
Admin - continuing with my semi-annual link check [finished Rifle Components and part way thru Ammo, dropped some companies that no longer have a “qualifying” product or web presence or have otherwise gone away, added some FB links. If your link is gone, please let me know the new web URL or FB link. Anyone finding bad links, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.]
Site Update (Feb 18 2018):
Additions and updates since Feb 11 2018
Rifles - Ashbury Precision Arms/APO (removed almost all rifle links - new site delays in adding back); Barrett (removed 98B, appears discontinued after recall)
Rifle Components - H&P Manufacturing (3D printed suppressors - video up, no other info); Valdada (scope mounts, QD)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Go West Trading/GWT (.338 LM brass, direct sales and thru resellers); RCC Brass (hammer-forged and lathe-turned brass, including .505 Gibbs and .50 BMG); Warner Tool Company/WTC (added a 400 gr .375 caliber bullet to their Flat Line series)
Reloading Equipment - Sinclair (stainless steel bullet comparator/caliber inserts)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Steiner (binoculars with LRF, hunting and military models, max 1860 yards)
Admin - I’ve started on my semi-annual link check [Rifles page complete - dropped some companies that no longer have a web presence or have otherwise gone away, added some FB links. If your link is gone, please let me know the new web URL or FB link. Anyone finding bad links, please e-mail me at email@example.com. Thanks.]
Site Update (Feb 11 2018):
Additions and updates since Feb 4 2018
Rifles - Lethal Precision Arms (gone, combined with AB Weapons Division; the “.375 Lethal Magnum” cartridge will continue to be available, thru ABWD)
Rifle Components - B&T (has added the CAL (cant & lock...but no pan) series of bipods, include KMW Pod-Lok vs wheel); David Tubb (muzzle brake)
Reloading Equipment - K&M (added them to the Presses section - “Arbor Press with Force Pack”)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Bushnell (announced “Ballistic app powered by Applied Ballistics” - that’s powered by AB’s Ultralight; come 2/25 app its supposedly to be free from the Apple App Store and Goggle Play); Leupold (announced the “RX-1600i TBR/W” LRF, max 1600 yds; no, I did not make up that name)
Site Update (Feb 4 2018):
Additions and updates since Jan 28 2018
Rifles - Applied Ballistics Weapons Division/ABWD (M30-TS spec posted); Nosler (“M48 Long-Range Carbon” model added)
Rifle Components - JMS Tactical (Rem 700 LA chassis)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Atlas Development Group/ADG (brass casings including induction-annealed .338 Edge and .338 LM w/ or w/o anneal line - very well priced, .338 NM coming, KY-based); PPU-USA (added a .338 LM match ammo offering with 240 gr. solids)
Ranges - CCC Shooting Complex (removed - max chambering is now .308)
Feb 1 2018
In subsequent e-mail communications with Jagemann (senior sales management), I was unable to confirm their statement regarding a MAP of $1.00 each for the upcoming Jagemann .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge cases. I was advised that their brass will not be available from Midway. Finally, I was unable to confirm the comparability of Jagemann product quality to Lapua product quality. I’ve revised my original post accordingly (SHOT Show Day 4).
Site Update (Jan 28 2018):
Additions and updates since Jan 21 2018
Rifle Components - MC3 Stocks/McCubed (this McMillan Fiberglass spin-off is now listing Rem 700 LA versions of the McMillan A5 design - 5 versions from $259 - $459, depending on feature set, already shipping or shipping in Feb)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Safran/Optics 1/Vectronix (has added a separate website for the upcoming “Terrapin X” LRF - 8X, 3000m max range, 905nm laser, Bluetooth connectivity, pricing unknown, count-down clock says it is coming on May 3)
Admin - moved 2014 Updates to the News Archive page (link at the bottom of this page)
2018 SHOT Show (ELR-Specific): Day 4 (Friday, Jan 26, 2018):
First the NNs (sorry for any dups) - Accurate-Mag, Alexander Arms, Alliant Powder, Best D… Gun, Blaser USA, Boyds Gunstock, Caracal USA, Celestron, Cerakote, Dillon Precision, Eberlestock, Feddersen, Fierce Arms, Griffin, Harris (bipods), Huskemaw, Hyskore, JP Enterprises, Kowa, LimbSaver, MagnetoSpeed, Millett, PGZ, PPU, Precision Hardcore Gear, Proof Research, Protektor, RAUG Ammotec USA (I think), Rudolph Optics, Tangent Theta, Trigger Tech, and Weaver Optics.
Accu-Tac – was showing the “HD-50” bipod; full-feature, very heavy structure, intended for .50 BMG-weight-class rifles; MAP of $408, shipping late Jan/Feb.
AG Composites – was showing a couple of their new 100% carbon fiber stocks, the “Prairie Varmint” (beaver-tail forearm) and the “Vertical” (straight-side forearm); both are in-house design, include a Pachmayr Decelerator pad, and come in a Rem 700 LA inlet (flat top models by the end of the year); available now (through resellers), MSRP of $540. Very interestingly, they claim to be using aerospace production tech which is superior to that used by the more-well-recognized, major brands (who air cure their CF models) - they used that tech to win Barrett’s Fieldcraft stock contract. They further claim their stocks to be a step above their competitor (3rd/top tier in a three-tier world – Manners and McMillan Fiberglass being 2nd tier). I was hoping to receive a detailed description of the tech that makes their products better but have yet to receive it.
American Reserve Munitions - has partnered with Dynamic Research to produce Dynamic Research's "Predator" line of turned brass solid, ELR/VLD bullets; the product line will include bullets in .338, .375, .408, .416, .458, and .510 calibers; the 236 gr .338 is the first to ship (MSRP $1.10/each, shipping now); the next, in approx 2 months, will be either the .375 or .510 (recent expressed demand for the .510 may push it ahead of the currently-panned .375); the .338 bullet will be used in Predator-branded, .338 LM ammo (shipping now, MSRP $5.99/round - GWT brass, CCI long rifle magnum primers, and Retumbo powder, 3100 fps MV from a 26" barrel, https://armunitions.com/product/338lapua-236gr-predator/ .375 (or .510) ammo will follow in about 3 months (the "loser" shipping in June).
Annealing Made Right – was demonstrating their new “Aztec mode” software app that allows the end user to analyze their brass (100% sampling process) and, based on that analysis, both cull out less desirable cases and create a custom annealing profile – vs sending brass samples down under for analysis and profile development; $250 for current machine owners (downloadable software upgrade) or a $250 option with new machines (all new machines will ship with the app installed and either turned on or locked – those that don’t purchase during machine purchase can purchase a key through their major resellers at a future time); required software patches will be provided free of charge. The app will be available in March.
David Tubb - spoke with him as he was a captive audience (sitting outside the show entry doors getting his shoes shined). I asked him about the possibility of him providing/selling the rim-rebated 375 CT brass he and Team Tubb have been using. He replied that he doesn't feel that cartridge is optimal for ELR (incomplete case fill and an extreme spread/ES higher than he wants)…and is looking into alternatives. He is so convinced that there is a more optimal solution that he is now working with Peterson Brass to develop a new case/cartridge. The design he is (currently) considering would have 1xx grain case capacity, a better case fill, and fit...the .338 LM bolt face. The expected result, low, single-digit, ES. He is also considering providing (or through Peterson providing) formed brass. He would also supply dies (7/8-14 thread dies). Before Ko2M? We'll see.
Freedom Armory - was showing the "Dragoon 338" Ti suppressor (end-user takedown; very quick and slick, quick-attach design with a parallel-bevel feature that insures perfect alignment without threads in the suppressor; included muzzle brake; MSRP of $1495 with one barrel-thread interface; additional interfaces for additional barrel-thread patterns have an MSRP of $165; both shipping in March).
Horus Vision - released two new spotter scope reticles, the Tremor4 and the H322 - already available in the Bushnell Elite Tactical - https://www.horusvision.com
Innovative Arms - expects to be shipping a quick-detach version of its .338 LM-rated suppressor in February.
iota - has a new stock model, the "Klutch"; carbon fiber (CF) core, molded-in color, adjustable cheekpiece (via set screw), small ambi thumb rests, flat-top or inletted (including Rem 700 LA/clones and Stiller TAC338); available in April with an MSRP of $749 - https://iotaoutdoors.com/iota-catalog.pdf
Jagemann – was showing .338 LM brass, which they say is expected to be shipping in Feb/Mar through major resellers.
Kestrel – was showing the new 5700 (basic) meter with integrated AB; see http://kestrelinstruments.com/ballistics-shooting for a nice comparison chart (comparison to the current 5700 Elite); at a MAP of $399 (compared to a MAP of $599), looks like a real winner; shipping Feb 15.
Leapers/UTG - has released two new "Recon Flex" bipods, the TL-BPDM02 (M-LOK-attach) and TL-BPDK02 (Keymod-attach), both are 8-12" height - http://www.leapers.com/index.php?mitem=bipod&mtrack=m
Lehigh Defense - was showing its new 353 gr, .375 caliber, match, copper solid bullet (# 04375), which will be shipping soon; they were also showing models in their new line of Ti-tipped "Flash Tip" bullets - the 240 gr, .338 and the 338 gr, .375 - https://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/bullets/match-solid Sniper Extreme was also displaying in their booth - showing their ammo with Lehigh Defense Flash Tip bullets - http://www.sniperextreme.com/operational-ammunition.html
Minox – advised they have a new model scope for long range shooters, the 5-25x56 ZE-LR; FFP, 34mm tube, shipping in Mar/Apr at an MSRP of approximately $2200.
OSS Suppressors - introduced the "HX-QD Magnum Ti" model in .338 caliber (.338 LM rated, quick-disconnect, new end cap, "lighter, shorter, quieter", shipping in Feb, MSRP $1599).
Primary Arms Optics - announced the 6-30x56, "Athena BPR Mil" scope, ACSS reticle - https://www.facebook.com/primaryarmsllc/photos/a.789411484416325.1073741827.115702531787227/1806717459352384/?type=3
Stocky's - announced three, own-brand, Rem 700 LA and clone model stocks: (1) the A5-ish "STS', MSRP of $699 - https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocky-s-adjustable-target-stock-sts.html?___SID=U ; (2) the "M50" with integrated aluminum bedding block, MSRP of $300 - https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks-by-brand/stocky-s/stocky-s-accublocks/stocky-s-long-range-accublock-laminated-m50-remington-700.html , and (3) the Manners EH1-ish "LRC", also with an integrated aluminum bedding block and MSRP of $200 - https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks-by-brand/stocky-s/stocky-s-accublocks/stockys-lrc-accublock-finished.html
Swagger – was showing its “Precision Series” bipods, more conventional design than the original, full-featured, three leg lengths up to 24” fully extended; MSRP of $349-379; video on their FB page (https://www.facebook.com/swaggerbipods ).
Timney – was showing their new (Rem) “700 BR” benchrest trigger, pull as light as 2 oz, MAP of $204, available in Feb.
Velocity Triggers - is planning on releasing a Rem 700 model; adjustable pull (2-4#), various trigger shoes (straight and curved, each either smooth or serrated), and a safety that can be engaged after firing a round, before loading another round; available by the NRA show with an MSRP of approximately $120.
Western Powders – released “Ramshot LRT” (long range target) powder; specifically targeted at .338 LM shooters, its burn rate is very similar to Retumbo, shipping now.
2018 SHOT Show (ELR-Specific): Day 3 (Thursday, Jan 25, 2018):
Sorry to report that, as I was preparing to head into the show this day, I dropped my camera and damaged it to the extent that it would not power up. So, the below may include some pics but they will not be mine from the show.
Starting with the NNs - AAC, Alliant, Bell & Carlson, Burris, Bushmaster, CZ USA, Dakota Arms, ERGO, Federal, FN, Forster, Hodgdon, Hornady, H-S Precision, IWI US, Knight's, KFS Industries, LaRue Tactical, Leica, Lothar Walther, Lyman, Magpul, Magtech, MEC, MTM, Nesika, Nobel Sport, Norma, RCBS, Remington, Revic, Savage, Sellier & Bellot, Sierra, Steyr, SWORD, Thunder Beast, Trijicon, Truvelo, Weatherby, and Zeiss.
ATN - was showing the "X-Sight 4K BH", Buck Hunter series, electronic scope with integrated ballistic calculator, Smart Range Finding (image height bracketing), and 7 reticles (all user-selectable, electronically), the 5-20 power model has an MSRP of $699 (https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight-4k-buckhunter-rifle-scope-5-20x); optionally you can add the "ATN Ballistics Range Finder/ABL" for automatic range finding and communications directly to the scope (mounts to the front of the scope, 1000 and 1500 yard versions, MSRP $379 for the 1500 yard version, https://www.atncorp.com/range-finder).
Barnes - has added the 250 gr, .338 caliber, tipped, "LRX" bullet (#31150, .602 BC - higher than their current 265 gr LRX, http://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/lrx/)
Bushnell - announced the "DMR II Pro 3.5-21x50" scope (10 mil/rev, zero stop, throw lever, and "ED Prime" glass), expected to be available in June.
Falke/Schmeisser - was showing the Falke Pro Series 5-30x56 scope and Schmeisser USM quick-detachable (to Pic rail) scope mount; the scope is SFP, 34mm tube, approx 24 mil elevation, with HD(S) glass, currently approx 800 Euros in Europe, available in the US in May; the mount attaches using two, spring-loaded, side bars and aligns via a spring-loaded, beveled, cross bar (the bevel allows attach to not-so-perfect-to-spec rail slots); MSRP $300-350, available his Summer; Pics/docs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Geissele - was "showing" (inside a rifle) its Rem-700-"compatible", "Super 700" trigger; can be user-configured for single or 2-stage operation (back and forth), top safety, trigger pull from 3/4# to 3.5#; MSRP $250 (available for pre-order at Brownells - https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/remington-700-super-700-triggers-prod114411.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=GEISSELE%2bAUTOMATICS%2bLLC)
Medwell Precision Rifles (UK) - was showing an example of its Vanquish rifle; come later this year they expect to launch a version in .338 LM (Mauser 98 clone action, fully adjustable, modern chassis, takes AI CIP-length mags, Recknagel trigger, action DLC coated over polished surface yields brilliant glossy finish, all parts except the trigger are built in house); looking for US partner to import; https://medwellprecisionrifles.com/the-rifles
Meopta - added the TGA 75 series spotting scope (20-60x75 and 30x75, very rugged; http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/en/overview/spotting-scopes-5/tga-series-32.html
Nikon - was showing two new LRFs, the "Monarch 3000 Stabilized" and the "Black RangeX 4K" (3000 and 4000 yards max reflective ranges, respectively; the first with image stabilization; both with incline/decline technology; $419 and $449 SRP, respectively) - look out SIG!
Schmidt & Bender - was showing a zebra-pattern painted (feature-hiding paint scheme) 3-21x50 Competition/Hunting scope with "LRH-MOA" reticle (FFP/mil and SFP/MOA models in development), 76-78 MOA elevation, illuminated, 34mm tube, single-, double-, and multi-turn with locking (double-turn with zero stop); MSRP: TDB, available between Summer and Fall; also (brochure) showed switch-activated/deactivated "multi-functional turrets for elevation and windage" for what appears to be most of the current PM II models.
Seekins Precision - added the "Procomp CH2" stock (CH stands for Carbon Hunter, a carbon fiber design, inlets will include Rem 700 LA, showing very nice looking CF layup pattern; expected to be shipping by early Summer).
Sightron - was showing the SVED 4.5-24 ED scope with Schott ED glass, FFP, locking turret, 10 mil/revolution, 35 mil elevation - will actually rotate to 40 mil but not "approved", illuminated reticle; also showing the SIH1340X50 (13-45x50) and SIH1545X60 (15-45x60) spotting scopes (fixed eyepiece, smaller and lighter than prior models).
SKB Cases - has added the SKB-3i-6018-8BL long rifle case (60x18x8 interior, layered foam, wheeled); MSRP $450, shipping in February.
Steiner - was showing the T5Xi 5-25x56 scope (https://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/t-series/t5xi-5-25x56).
2018 SHOT Show (ELR-Specific): Day 2 (Wednesday, Jan 24, 2018):
NNs - Drake Associates, Gemtech, GRS Riflestocks, Kinetic Research Group/KRG, Oakwood Controls, Pelican (for very long rifle cases), Precision Reflex, SilercerCo, Torre Pines Logic, and Yankee Hills Machine/YHM.
Armtech Armory - will be adding a .338 LM-capable version to their suppressor line, steel or Ti construction, $600-700 direct to user, available approximately June.
Elite Iron - was showing the new, quick-release, Picatinny rail mount for their Revolution bipod, pics 1, 2
Fifty Caliber Shooters Association/FCSA (booth) - Brett Berger was showing his latest version of his super tricked out rifle/rifle stock system (not a commercially-available product, just a wealth of ingenious tech); pics 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (also see slides of his "stock system", and its manufacture, at
http://www.bergers.com/stock.html); hopefully Brett will be writing a detailed article for a future issue of FCSA's quarterly magazine, "Very High Power/VHP".
H & P Manufacturing - was showing a very unique line of suppressors (up to .338 LM), pics 1, 2, 3; manufactured by 3D printing in Monel powdered metal (they may also offer in Ti); advantages are very short length (6" added to the .338 LM model) with the weight towards, rather than away from, the shooter; they expect to be shipping in 6-8 months.
LabRadar - will be adding a no-charge Android app to display screen data on your cell phone (no commitment for iPhone); registered owners will be e-mailed when the app is available (expected to be 1-2 months).
Nemesis Arms - was showing the "Advanced Nemesis Sniper Rifle/ANSR", a quick-take-down, enhanced version, of their earlier, multi-caliber (but smaller caliber) model rifles; designed to advance the line (and compete for government contracts), it was displayed in .338 NM; interesting features include a 2-pin-swap of bottom metal, ambidextrous standard, and (by ship date), their "feature-set" version of the Luth-AR MPA-1 buttstock (in aluminum); they expect to ship to commercial customers in 6-8 months; pic 1
Sako - has release the TRG 42A1, the A1 indicates, primarily, a new buttstock - http://www.sako.fi/en-us/rifles/sako-trg/trg-2242-a1
Tactical Imports (Canada) - was showing the Sero GM6 Lynx, a semi-auto, recoiling-barrel, .50 BMG bullpup; a very serious, and expensive, firearm which they are shipping into the US ($12K direct to your FFL) - see http://www.tacticalimports.ca/gm6-lynx-p-3.html Pics 1, 2, 3, 4
Ultimatum - a .338 LM version of their action will be available in the Spring (deciding whether to incorporate into their LA design or provide as a .338 LM-unique model).
Upriser Arms - was showing an interesting chassis design with dual gas pressure rods to mitigate recoil, and both a thumbhole and an offset hand grip, plenty of bling; demo rifle was in .338 LM, Defiance Deviant action Pics 1, 2
Valdada (in the American Rifle booth) - showed the 4.5-30x56 Recom G-2 scope; this design is FFP, mil/mil, 40 mm tube, with a whopping 42 Mrads (150 MOA) of elevation; still uses HD Schott glass but is being manufactured in Japan (not an IOR-built model - declined to disclose the Japanese manufacturer); expected to be available in May; pics 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Victrix/Beretta - added models; Scorpio TGT (LE/Mil, including a . 338 LM version - http://www.victrixarmaments.com/portfolio/scorpiotgt/?lang=en); Scorpio MilLe (including a .338 LM version, 2018 catalog, pgs 40-41 - http://eu.beretta.com/victrix-us?__hstc=&__hssc=&hsCtaTracking=55074e57-fe2e-4017-a1d5-453739d9470f%7Cf4420ca4-1f90-44ab-bdf1-906968b2d89e); Tormentum MilLe (2018 catalog, pgs 42-43 - http://eu.beretta.com/victrix-us?__hstc=&__hssc=&hsCtaTracking=55074e57-fe2e-4017-a1d5-453739d9470f%7Cf4420ca4-1f90-44ab-bdf1-906968b2d89e).
Wolf Precision - was showing the "secret sauce" for their "chamber cylinder system", a brass pressure ring and matching relief in the barrel (pic); SA now, LA by end of '18; patented, totally proprietary design and implementation (to utilize this design you need to buy one of their rifles or their barreled action - no wildcats, only, specific, standard, cartridges that they have selected - LA cartridges as TBD).
2018 SHOT Show (ELR-Specific): Day 1 (Tuesday, Jan 24, 2018):
As in recent years, on Day 1 I went to specific booths throughout the entire show area, ones that I had particular interest in (heard that something was coming or just a company of usual ELR interest). I did wall-to-walls on subsequent days. I only talk to folks about ELR and ELR-related products, so typically no info on other products. Photos are taken as I go but, because of the bandwidth available in hotels, I do not include them in my forum posts – I add them to my News page when I get home. "NN" denotes "nothing new" – for booths that I visited but where I found nothing that had not already turned up in one of my site's weekly News updates. [Please check recent weekly updates if you think I missed something that you felt was new "at SHOT". And, since I am certainly fallible, please e-mail me to let me know that I actually did miss something new and ELR-related - my call on whether to conclude as ELR-related and new "at SHOT". Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.] So here goes, in alpha order. [28 Jan 2018 - I’ve added company links that are now up.]
NN - We'll start out with NN/nothing new exhibitors (recall that if a company recently announced, prior to the start of SHOT, those announcements are NOT included here) - Accuracy International, Ashbury Precision Operations/APO, B&T AG, Capstone (Lapua and VihtaVuori, excluding Berger), Christensen Arms, Cutting Edge Bullets, Desert Tech, Fort Scott Munitions (and X-Treme Bullets), GA Precision, Kahles, Kelbly, Krieger, Leica Sport Optics, Lilja, March Optics, MPA, Newcon Optik, Nightforce, Pacific Tool & Gauge, Safety Harbor, SIG Electro-Optics, Stiller, Strategic Armory Corps/SAC (all brands - ArmaLite, AWC, McMillan Firearms, Nexus, and Surgeon), Swarovski, US Optics, Vortex, and XLR.
American Rifle Company/ARC - the recently introduced Nucleus long action will undergo very high press testing in .338 LM this quarter, that noted, appears, for other reasons, it will never see the light of day, at least in the current Nucleus configuration (ask Ted); for those that have been hoping for a single-shot version of the Mausingfield, its probably time to move on, super low interest in spending time on that project.
Barrett - NN but I was able to find out that the new .416 Barrett super ammo uses CCI primers (IMO, a missed opportunity to go with RWS, since the case is produced by Raug).
Berger - the Applied Ballistics Munitions/ABM branded ammo is gone, same ammo, now in yellow-box Berger packaging, is currently being phased in. See http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/ammunition/
Bighorn - the 2017 SHOT Show, ".338 LM-capable, command-to-design" action has morphed into the 2018 concept of a multi-caliber action, .338 LM and CheyTac-capable. Possibly available in both repeater and single-shot, we'll wait and see if this actually sees the light of its commercially-available day.
Bullet Central - was showing a prototype of a Bix 'n Andy trigger for Barnard actions (pics to follow; amazingly, this model was developed in response to requests from down-under shooters); expected to be available in April at an MSRP of $450. Pics 1, 2
Cadex - technically NN but I missed the new CT bottom metal/DBM and mags (pages 56-57, 2018 catalog) in my recent News Update; also, those hoping for single-shot action offerings in their recently-announced, stand-alone-available actions line...sorry, not happening.
Defiance Machine - a CheyTac-capable action is again back in the thought process (last prototyped in 2012).
Gunwerks - added three new stocks, which, come Summer, will be available stand alone (ClymR, Magnus (Gen II), and Verdict); see https://www.gunwerks.com/stocks
Manners Customs Stock/MCS - an "LTR+" model will be shipping by early May (5" longer forearm and the barrel and action areas will be molded in as part of the processing, rather than being added in; cosmetics (optional glossy and metallic finishes across the board for their carbon fiber stocks).
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks - was showing (under the table but already taking order for) the "Beast 2" (pics to follow), with a substantially reconfigured buttstock, raising the shooter's head much higher up (so much so that the current iteration requires that the barreled action be removed to clean the barrel). Pics 1, 2
Noreen Firearms - was showing the "#2 Noreen", a new iteration of an older Peter Norren action design; patterned after (a reproduction of) the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action, they expect to build 10-20 units this year, in four lengths (the longest supporting up to the .460 Weatherby, max .590 bolt face) at a price of $10K each, including bottom metal, magazine box, and customer's choice of trigger. There are no castings in this design. Pics 1, 2, 3, 4
Peterson Brass - .338 Norma Magnum is in development; expected to be available in 3-4 months.
Ritter & Stark - will be adding (this Summer) the .338 NM as another cartridge option for their SX-1 MTR rifle.
Serbu - Hot news! Coming your way in the fairly near future, the "Serbu .338 LM RN-50" - the RN-50 (modified break action) "rifle" in .338 LM. In fact, they are also getting close to a quick-change/multi-caliber RN-50. The .338 LM RN-50's MSPR is $1050, SHOT Show special (thru the end of Feb) is $850. Note, the .338 LM RN-50 does NOT include a muzzle brake - depending on which buttstock you use (e.g., the Safety Harbor SHF Steel or Mono) you may not need one...and they have yet to finalize the muzzle thread. The RN-50 is also on show special for $950 (.50 BMG and .50 DTC). Actually, all their rifles and shotguns are on show special (call).
Vigilance Rifles - after introducing the "Windrunner M18" rifle very recently, it was great to see the prototype in the THOR Global Defense booth; beyond that prior write-up, I can say that the workmanship looks excellent; also, seems a Huber trigger may become a (substantial) added-cost option.
Warner Tool Company/WTC - was in MPA's booth showing a 400 gr, .375 Flatline bullet (looks great); also an example of their "micrometer-adjustable, wildcat, seating die" - which integrates with their sizing die (pic here - https://warner-tool.com/collections/reloading-dies).
Site Update (Jan 21 2018):
Additions and updates since Jan 14 2018
Rifles - Accurate-Mag (has introduced the Sport-Tact Advanced Multi-Caliber Sporting Rifle and the Sport-Tact Advanced Multi-Caliber Sniper Rifle, both identified as the AMSR and both available in .338 LM and .338 NM; claimed barrel change for either model in one minute with one Allen key; the basic difference is a two-piece wooden stock for the Sporting model and a modern rifle chassis system for the Sniper model); Christensen Arms (added .338 LM to the cartridge options for their Modern Precision Rifle/MPR); PGW Defense (removed the link to their sole US reseller, per that reseller they had rifles on order and licenses in hand and communications with PGW stopped without any explanation; I’ve e-mail PGW but so far no reply); Vigilance Rifles (has added the “Windrunner M18”, a bolt-action, single-shot or repeater, in .50 BMG, .50 DTC, and other chamberings down to .338 LM, based on customer request - the link is to a posting I did based on phone conversations with the designer/company owner)
Rifle Components - American Rifle Company (has changed the name of the original Mausingfield action to Mausingfield S1600; also introduced “Barloc” quick-change barrel devices for barrel swapping, versions for barrels with and without shoulders); B&T Industries (announced multiple bipod and monopod options for 2018); Caldwell (new for 2018 - many bipods); Zero Compromise Optic/ZCO (scopes)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Barrett (finally got its act together big time - CIP-correct .416 Barrett ammo with Cutting Edge 452 gr MTAC bullets, Raug match brass, RL50 powder, 3005 fps from a 32” barrel...$8.90/rd; other .416 Barrett ammo options gone!); Peterson (now offering nickel-plated cases in 338 LM, 375 CT, and 408 CT)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Halo Optics (LRFs)
Misc/Spotting Scopes - Vortex (New for 2018, Viper HD line)
Site Update (Jan 14 2018):
Additions and updates since Jan 7 2018
Rifle Components - Bushnell (adds to Elite Tactical scope line with XRS II 4.5-30x50 model)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Lapua (announced they will be offering .338 NM brass in ‘18)
Site Update (Jan 7 2018):
Additions and updates since Dec 31 2017
Rifles - Savage (has added the “110 Long Range Hunter 338 Lapua” - new adjustable stock design, included Pic scope rail, the old large (ineffective) brake, and an apparently-included 5 round mag; barrel in the photos looks VERY skinny, rifle weight is 1-3# less than other Savage models in 338 LM - ouch!)
Rifle Components - JP Enterprises (announced a very nice benchrest forearm adapter that attaches to a Pic rail)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Leica (announced the Geovid HD-B 2700 and 3000 BLRF models, max 3000 yards; at retailers in Feb)
Site Update (Dec 31 2017):
Additions and updates since Dec 24 2017
Rifle Components - Blaser (enters scope market); Bushnell (enters the $3000 scope business w/ the 34mm tube, FFP, mil 4.5-30x50 XRS II)
Associations - King of 2 Miles (2018 match rules posted); URSA (“URSA 3000 Yard Challenge 2018” added to the ELRC events list)
Site Update (Dec 24 2017):
Additions and updates since Dec 17 2017
Rifles - Cadex Defense (has posted their 2018 catalog - adding the CDX-R7/Lite Comp/folding stock and Field Comp/fixed stock model rifles, both available in 338 LM)
Rifle Components - Cadex Defense (in 2018 they will FINALLY be selling their actions - CDX-33/338 LM, CDX-40/CT, and CDX-50/.50 BMG - separately!!!; they will also be offering a lite version of their Falcon bipod; and they will offer the Lite Comp and Field Comp chassis)
Misc/Other Misc - Oehler Research (announced the ongoing development of their System 89, a single-target derivative of their System 88).
Site Update (Dec 17 2017):
Additions and updates since Dec 10 2017
Rifles - McCutchen Firearms (single shot and mag-fed rifles and AR15 uppers, all in .50 BMG - modified Zel Custom designs); Zakłady Mechaniczne “Tarnów”/Polish Armaments Group/PGZ (Poland, “ALEX-338” in .338 LM and “TOR” in .50 BMG); Zel Custom (closed, sold designs to one of their suppliers, McCutchen Firearms)
Rifle Components - Kreativ Solutions (Mirage caps/modifier disks for Nightforce scopes - if interested in this product, e-mail him to make sure you get the right version for your scope); Pierce Engineering (announced the development of their “BigX” action for CT-size cartridges; repeaters and single shots, available in mid-’18)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Warner Tool (has added load data for its Flatline bullets)
Site Update (Dec 10 2017):
Additions and updates since Dec 3 2017
Misc/Other Misc - Hawkeye/Gradient Lens Corp (borescopes)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Target Vision (has added a new model, the LR2 ULTRA HD with 5 megapixel, 2492x1944, resolution camera but reduced max distance, 1200 yards, MSRP: $899, shipping 12/20)
Misc/Shooting Rests - 4AW (windage and elevation adjustable rear rests)
Site Update (Dec 3 2017):
Additions and updates since Nov 26 2017
Ammo & Ammo Components - VihtaVuori (announce a new powder, N565, specifically for 338 LM with 250 gr bullets, “available in 2018”)
Site Update (Nov 26 2017):
Additions and updates since Nov 19 2017
Misc/Target Impact Viewing Systems - TargetCam (removed, phone disconnected, site gone)
Site Update (Nov 19 2017):
Additions and updates since Nov 12 2017
Rifle Components - Athlon Optics (scopes); Vixen Performance Optics (scopes)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Athlon Optics (rangefinder); Torrey Pines Logic (Venom)
Misc/Spotting Scopes - Athlon Optics
Retailers/E-tailers - Graf (now carrying Peterson brass - save a few bucks thru them vs direct to Peterson)
Info/Pubs - NBRSA’s monthly “Precision Rifleman” magazine has moved to the NBRSA site (from ISSUU), now all issues from 2012 to present are posted - free access)
Site Update (Nov 12 2017):
Additions and updates since Nov 5 2017
Rifles - Applied Ballistics Weapons Division/ABWD (initial focus on high-end ELR custom builds)
Rifle Components - JJ Rock Co (‘Super XL” actions for CT bolt face cartridges)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Cutting Edge/CEB (added 302 gr .338 caliber MTAC); HSM (catalog link added, includes 26 SKUs of 338 LM ammo, only 13 of those on the I.Q. Metals site - other ammo adds included); IMR (AccurateShooter has posted a Bulletin article on a new Endron-family powder for large magnums, IMR 8133 - nothing yet on the IMR website, expected to ship in Feb 2018); Southern Ballistic Research/SBR (added a .50 BMG Match cartridge, 650 gr, brass solid); Swift Bullet Company (.338 LM ammo)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Leica (announced the Rangemaster 2700-B LRF, max 2700 yards)
Misc/Target Impact Viewing Systems - MagnetoSpeed (finally showing and about ready to sell/ship the T1000 hit indicator - the design is somewhat changed from what they showed at 2017 SHOT Show)
Site Update (Nov 5 2017):
Additions and updates since Oct 29 2017
Gunsmiths - Cutright Precision Rifles/Jay Cutright (removed - very disrespectful FB page)
Site Update (Oct 29 2017):
Additions and updates since Oct 22 2017
Reloading Equipment - M2 Precision (I spoke with Mike Matter on 10/23 to place an order. He advised that the part I wanted was not in stock and that he would not be building any more. He further advise that he has another business and is winding down M2. Once the current inventory is gone, he will close down M2. He builds excellent gear and its sad to see the company go away. If you are interested in any of his products, I suggest you call him NOW!)
Training - Charlie Mike Precision (TX)
Site Update (Oct 22 2017):
Additions and updates since Oct 15 2017
Rifles - ORSIS (announced the “F17” multi-cartridge rifle - including 338 LM; nothing on their website yet)
Rifle Components - Mirage ULR (muzzle brakes thru .408 CT)
Ammo & Ammo Components - added caliber ID to Bullet line items (that noted, the Bullet Matrix - top of that section - has type, weight, and product page links for each caliber group); Hammer (added .416 cal, 420 gr Hunter); Hornady (announced their 2018 additions - including 338 NM brass, .338 caliber 230 and 270 gr ELD-X bullets, and “338 LM 270 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter” ammo); TulAmmo (.50 BMG ammo)
Reloading Equipment - A&D Weighing (electronic scales); Dewey (CR Crocogator - primer pocket cleaner); Hornady (announced their 2018 additions, including Vibratory Trickler, Rotary Case Tumbler, and Rotary Media Sifter); Pacific Tool & Gauge (case prep tool)
Gunsmiths - Gila River Gun Works/Michael Scherz (removed - non-responsive to multiple e-mails for status on company operations/still in business)
Ranges - Nice Shot Shooting Range (removed - very dated website and FB page, non-responsive to multiple e-mails on company operations/still in business)
Site Update (Oct 15 2017):
Additions and updates since Oct 8 2017
Rifle Components - TriggerTech (introduced the “Rem 700 Diamond Trigger” for competition shooters, $260 list, starts shipping 11/1/17)
Gunsmiths - Asteroid Precision Rifles (TX)
Associations - added “King of 2 Miles”/Ko2M (while not an “association per se, acts as one with competitions, rules, and a FB page)
Site Update (Oct 8 2017):
Additions and updates since Oct 1 2017
Rifles - Kalashnikov Concern (removed - “Record 338” no longer shown on their site and they didn’t reply to multiple inquiries); TrackingPoint (M1400 EMR renamed ShadowTrax8, announced a limited offering of a .50 BMG model, the Mi50 - based on the semi-auto Barrett M107A1)
Gunsmiths - Shooters Corner (IN); Vanden Berg Custom (TX)
Info/Pubs - removed the “P.O. Ackley: America’s Gunsmith” (more of a semi-technical biography, nothing I found of current ELR value)
Site Update (Oct 1 2017):
Additions and updates since Sep 24 2017
Ammo & Ammo Components - Peterson (announced that 338 NM brass is in development)
Site Update (Sep 24 2017):
Additions and updates since Sep 17 2017
Rifles - Victrix Armaments/Beretta (announced the Minerva/Corvus in .50 BMG)
Rifle Components - Valdada (introduced the “Rex Ninja” QD scope mount)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Chinchaga (added a 350 gr. .338 rebated BT, ULD bullet); Kinetic Industries (new supplier of “match” grade .338 LM brass)
E-tailers/Retailers - Monmouth Reloading/Monmouth USA
Site Update (Sep 17 2017):
Additions and updates since Sep 10 2017
Rifles - Alliance Custom Armory; TenXCustoms; Tracking Point (added the ShadowTrax8 in 338 LM)
Rifle Components - 4AW (Australia, muzzle brake); Barnard (Whidden advised they are still offering the GP, i.e., they are offering the full Barnard line); Stiller (is now “Stiller Custom Actions” with a new URL; Python model gone; unclear whether the TAC408 in 1.45” diameter is still available, call - same number as before; includes an e-commerce capability but its in Beta; prices are somewhat higher than thru their resellers and a scope rail is no longer standard)
Gunsmiths - Arrow-Dynamics; Chou Brothers Precision (Ontario, Canada; F-class champion shooters and rifle builders - Canadian customers only); Elite Accuracy; RGS LLC/Robert Stone; Southern Indiana Precision
Info/Info Sites - 4AW (Australia; the folks with the “MarkandSam AfterWork” YouTube channel)
Admin- I’ve started to included Canadian gunsmiths, listed by name and province.
Site Update (Sep 10 2017):
Additions and updates since Sep 3 2017
Rifles - Eberlestock (removed their rifle, not currently in production in 338 LM or other site-defined ELR chamberings)
Ranges - Fouled Bore Precision (OK, targets to 1764 yards, .50 BMG OK)
Admin – “How to use ‘Search’ on this website”
This website is built on a rather old website development application, WebPlus X5 from Serif. That application is no longer available or supported. That noted, I have looked around and found no alternative solution that I like. So, the way this site works now is how it will work for the indefinite future.
To “search”, enter your search term in the search field (bottom/center of the page navigation menu) and click the search button. This will provide a list of the pages where the term is included. This is where this search tool’s capability ends and you go to your web browser to actually find the instances of the search term on the listed page or pages.
Described below are how you proceed from here using Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and Google Chrome 60 web browsers, respectively.
Using Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 (IE):
1. Click on the top (underlined) line of each entry – this will open another browser tab for that site page.
2. Go to the upper right corner of the IE screen and click on the “gear-shaped” icon. Then hover your cursor over the “File” line and click on the “Find on this page…” selection of the side pop-out menu. This will add a “Find” task bar near the top of the page.
3. Enter your search term in the field next to the word Find. Once entered all instances of that term will be highlighted on that page. You can scroll down to review each highlighted instance or, since some of my pages have a lot of colors on them, you can use the “next” button on the Find task bar. [The first instance on the page will be at the top of the page after you enter your search term.]
4. When done with your search, just click the “x” at the far left of the Find task bar and that task bar will be removed.
Using Google Chrome 60 (Chrome):
1. Click on the top (underlined) line of each entry – this will open another browser tab for that site page.
2. Go to the upper right corner of the Chrome screen and click on the “3 vertical dot” icon. Then click on “Find”. This will open a search window in the upper right.
3. Enter your search term in the search window. Once entered all instances of that term will be highlighted on that page. You can scroll down to review each highlighted instance or, since some of my pages have a lot of colors on them, you can use the arrows to the right of the search term you just entered. [Instances selected using the arrows will be roughly in the center of the page, vertically.]
4. When done with your search, just click the “x” at the far right of the search window and that search window will be removed.
Site Update (Sep 3 2017):
Additions and updates since Aug 27 2017
Rifles - Remington Defense (its back with the same dated content..but at least I could move the product links back)
Rifle Components - Barnard (their GP action is “also(?)” now being imported by Warner Tool Company/WTC; still shown on the Whidden site)
Gunsmiths - Real Precision Shooting/RPS International (Alberta, Canada)
Site Update (Aug 27 2017):
Additions and updates since Aug 20 2017
Rifles - JARD (finally showing the .338 LM-bolt face model J70 on their website); Remington Defense (replaced Remington link - site gone - with vendor and other info site links)
Rifle Components - Area 419 (muzzle brakes); Accuracy Solutions (“BipodeXt” bipod extension)
Admin - link check complete (and many Facebook links added). Readers - please alert me to link problems. E-mail me at email@example.com. Thanks!
Site Update (Aug 20 2017):
Additions and updates since Aug 13 2017
Rifles - Armalite (the AR50 in .416 Barrett has been discontinued)
Rifle Components - Pierce Engineering (release their “Featherweight” titanium action - 16 oz in their .338 LM-capable long action version)
Ammo & Ammo Components - PNW (removed - site certificate problem, site won’t load; Facebook page nowhere near current - gone?)
Misc - Horus Vision (ballistic app appears gone, removed from Ranging and Target Solutions Aids); LightReact (the newest player in the target impact viewing marketplace): Zeiss (added the “Victory Harpia” 85 and 95 to its spotting scope lineup)
Admin - link checks complete for Rifles thru Misc
Site Update (Aug 13 2017):
Additions and updates since Aug 6 2017
Rifles - Iron Brigade Armory (removed, gone)
Misc - Gunwerks/G7 (introduced the G7 BR2500 Ballistic Rangefinder)
Admin - began semi-annual link check. Adding lots of Facebook links. Readers - please alert me to link problems. E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Site Update (Aug 6 2017):
Additions and updates since Jul 30 2017
Rifles - EDM Arms (notwithstanding that EDM died in November 5, 2016, the EDM website is now showing, “Vigilance Rifles now servicing EDM Arms rifles. For service, parts, upgrades visit www.vigilancerifles.com”); Gunware (custom builds); Oestergaard Rifles (Denmark - the rifle and action spin-off of Danish Gun Tech, custom builds based on their .50 BMG action)
Rifle Components - Oestergaard Rifles (Denmark - the rifle and action spin-off of Danish Gun Tech)
Retailers/E-tailers - Gunware
Pubs...Photos - added a nice cartridge case comparo pic of .375 CT thru .375-.50 BMG
Site Update (Jul 30 2017):
Additions and updates since Jul 23 2017
Rifles - Cloud Peak Gunworks (custom builds); Hofmeister Custom Shop (custom builds)
Reloading - PMA (has added a micrometer-like “die adjuster”/lock ring for 1 1/2-12 dies)
Site Update (Jul 23 2017):
Additions and updates since Jul 16 2017
Misc - MOA Targets (steel, incl. .50 BMG-capable)
Site Update (Jul 16 2017):
Additions and updates since Jul 9 2017
Rifle Components - Warne (introduced the “ANGLEYE” adjustable scope mount system)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Wildcut Bullets (Italy, added Hunting and Match lines to their brass solids offerings)
News - KO2M (equipment lists for 7 of the Top 10 posted)
Site Update (Jul 9 2017):
Additions and updates since Jul 2 2017
Cartridges - Added 375/416 (incl PTG reamer print, with attribution)
Site Update (Jul 2 2017):
Additions and updates since Jun 25 2017
Rifles - Savage (“110 BA Stealth Evolution” in 338 LM)
Rifle Components - Patriot Valley Arms/PVA (add the “Rocket Scientist” muzzle brake for up to .338 LM); Revic (finally posts scope details, pricing, and direct ordering ability)
Gunsmiths - Dixie Guns (GA)
Competitions - KO2M recap and top-2 rifle info
Site Update (Jun 25 2017):
Additions and updates since Jun 18 2017
Rifles - Texas Custom Rifles (custom builds)
Rifle Components - David Tubb (non-symmetrical bipod); TBA Suppressors (suppressors)
Site Update (Jun 18 2017):
Additions and updates since Jun 11 2017
Rifle Components - Dolphin Gun Company (UK, bipods)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Rocky Mountain Bullets (their site is back up with the addition of copper solids, .338 SnipeTac brass/Bertram, and online ordering)
Admin - started a “News Archive” (had no choice since the software used has a 72000 pixel page length limitation and I was almost out of space; there is a link to the News Archive page at the very bottom of this page)
Site Update (Jun 11 2017):
Additions and updates since Jun 4 2017
Rifles - Gunwerks (added the “HAMR” in 375 CT w/ Cadex chassis and ATACR 7x35)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Badlands Precision (.338 copper solids and aluminum-tipped copper solids)
Site Update (Jun 4 2017):
Additions and updates since May 28 2017
Nothing new this week.
Site Update (May 28 2017):
Additions and updates since May 21 2017
Rifles - Tuebor Precision (custom builds)
Rifle Components - Robertson Composites (removed - gone, apparently quite a long time ago; hard to understand that the company is gone but the copyright line at the bottom of the home page reads “1999-2017”, fooled me); Tuebor Precision (actions in 338LM, call)
Misc - RTAC (as reported on 3/30, the patent and manufacturing rights to their IRIS target hit indicator system have been sold, I have now been able to reach the buyer and they advised that the IRIS will not be produced and that no development is planned = gone; listing removed)
Site Update (May 21 2017):
Additions and updates since May 14 2017
Rifle Components - Delta P Designs (announced the development of .50 cal suppressors which will be manufactured in titanium using 3D printing); Silent Legion (suppressors)
Site Update (May 14 2017):
Additions and updates since May 7 2017
Rifles - Christensen (added 33 Nosler and 338 LM options for their Classic model); David Tubb Accuracy and Precision Gun Parts (Tubb “Adaptive Target Rifle” - multi-cartridge-capable, including 338 NM); Thunder Ammo & Arms (custom builds)
Rifle Components - David Tubb (bipod - call); Desert Tech (added an 8 rd .338 LM mag for the SRS A1); Meopta (scopes); Revic Optics (scopes - here’s the data sheet that was posted on SH - the elevation shown in the scope image is derived off-scope, then the shooter turns the elevation knob to match the number in the scope with that value; supposedly shipping in September at $3K, MOA only to start with - may change, may be a SH group buy); Timney (released the Calvin Elite Custom trigger for Rem 700); Wheeler Accuracy (wood stocks)
Reloading Equipment - Primal Rights (primer seaters)
Misc - Rudolph Optics (BLRF)
Site Update (May 7 2017):
Additions and updates since Apr 30 2017
Rifle Components - Cerus Rifleworks (wood stocks)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Explosia/LOVEX (Czechoslovakia, powder); LFB (Germany, copper solid bullets for .338 LM, .408 CT, and .50 BMG); NobelSport/Vectan (France, powder); Reload Swiss (Switzerland, powder); RWS (.338 LM ammo - added new item); Sax Munitions (Germany, ammo & bullets - bullets appear to be Lutz Moller designs); Taurus Bullets (Poland, solids)
Reloading Equipment - Explosia/LOVEX (Czechoslovakia, .338 LM & .50 BMG load data); NobelSport/Vectan (France, .50 BMG load data); Reload Swiss (Switzerland, .338 LM and .50 BMG load data)
Gunsmiths - KW Precision (PA)
Site Update (Apr 30 2017):
Additions and updates since Apr 23 2017
Reloading Equipment - Talon Advanced (IT, reloading press)
Misc - Nikon (just released a new binocular model with integrated LRF - LaserForce 10x42, max range of 1900 yards), RTAC (has posted a notice that they are no longer selling their IRIS target hit indicator system to the public - so far I’ve been unable to reach them to decode)
Ranges - K&M Precision Rifle Training Shooting Complex (TN)
Site Update (Apr 23 2017):
Additions and updates since Apr 16 2017
Misc/Material Suppliers - Earle M. Jorgensen Co/EMJ (steel & aluminum, country wide)
Ranges - Broadwater Rod & Gun Club (MT); Powder River Sportsmen’s Club (OR)
Site Update (Apr 16 2017):
Additions and updates since Apr 9 2017
Rifles - Montana Rifle Company (Extreme X2/X2 in .33 Nosler)
Rifle Components - GSL Technology (suppressors - .338 LM, .375 in development, call); Swagger (bipods)
Misc - ATN (rangefinders); Pelican (rifle cases - now offers a “Design Your Own Foam” service; Tactical AR500 Targets (targets)
Site Update (Apr 9 2017):
Additions and updates since Apr 2 2017
Rifles - Dave Miller Rifles/DMR (custom builds), Dixie Precision Rifles (custom builds), H&H Precision Rifles (custom builds); Sisk Rifles *STAR custom builds)
Rifle Components - Accurate Rifle Systems/ARS (chassis); Sisk Rifles (stocks)
Gunsmiths - Live Oaks Accuracy (TX), Schultz Precision Machining/SPM Arms (TN)
Ranges - Please note the addition of a new info source ID, ELRC [the associated data were extracted from the range map on the ELRC site. Please call ahead to confirm max range distances available and whether your desired cartridge rifle is OK.]; Great Falls Shooting Sports Complex (MT - up to 1760 yards); LRC Montana (MT - up to 1900 yards); Spearpoint Range (KS - up to 2000 yards); Widji Bandi Sports Association of Western Australia (Western Australia - up to 2500 meters); Worland Shooting Complex (WY)
Info Sites - Applied Ballistics (has launched their ELR Central/ELRC website and “open” FB page)
Site Update (Apr 2 2017):
Additions and updates since Mar 26 2017
Misc - IEA Mil-Optics (Germany, ballistic computer); Infrared Research & Development/IR&D (ballistic computers)
Gunsmiths - Hewitt’s Gunsmithing (TN)
Ranges - Bar 3 Range (MS); Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club (DE); Central Indiana High Power Rifle Shooters/CIHPRS (IN - up to 2000 yards); Granby Bow & Gun Club (MA); Lander Valley Sportsmen’s Association (WY - up to 1300 yards); Marksmanship Training Center (MI); United Sportsmen;s Club (ID)
Info/Info - Applied Ballistics “Rifle Range Locator” app
Site Update (Mar 26 2017):
Additions and updates since Mar 19 2017
Rifle Components - Cadex Defence (removed all Cadex actions, except the Shepard, since, per Cadex, “The Catalog is just showing the Actions for information only.”); Hensoldt (in late Feb they spun off from Airbus and now have their own dedicated website - scope link and spotter scope (Misc Products page) link updated accordingly)
Site Update (Mar 19 2017):
Additions and updates since Mar 12 2017
Rifle Components - Killer Innovations/Mega Arms (stocks); KMW (stocks)
Misc - Oehler Research (added info on their BC-derivation-focused System 88)
Training - Marksmanship Training Center (MI)
Site Update (Mar 12 2017):
Additions and updates since Mar 5 2017
Misc - Midwest Steel & Aluminum (metals - stumbled across these folks, great prices and hav some large sizes of 7075); Oehler (finally provided some access to System 88 chrono info, I’ve asked for more - this is the system the Applied Ballistics crew is using to prepare for the 2017 KO2M); Shooting Rests (I’ve added a sub-section and started to populate it; front and rear rests; not benches; not bipods - already on the Rifle Components page; not PSR-style pinch bags)
Gunsmiths - SG Rifles (Speedy Gonzales, TX)
Info Sites - Applied Ballistics/ELR Central (Applied Ballistics/Bryan Litz has collaborated with many well established shooters and suppliers in the ELR shooting community to develop “guidelines” for ELR competitions and records; AB will support the effort through a site they will maintain, ELR Central/ELRC - URL not yet set up; they have posted a capstone document, “Extended Long Range (ELR) Central: Applied Ballistics’ Role in the ELR community”; for purposes of comparison with other efforts in ELR shooting disciplines, I refer to this as “ELR Tactical”; AB/Bryan has made a large commitment to making ELR competitions happen in the US and beyond and I most strongly commend them/him; way too much stuff to get into here, read the doc, its pretty short)
Site Update (Mar 5 2017):
Additions and updates since Feb 26 2017
Rifle Components - Stiller Precision (Jerry has sold off the non-rimfire portion of his action business to Dale Troutt of Thoroughbred Rifle - also in TX - and Jerry will be with them, under contract for the better part of a year. Info thread at http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11873539/From_Jerry_Stiller#Post11873539)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Leica (Geovid HD-B 42 "Edition 2017" - binoculars with integrated LRF - to 2200 yards); LongRifles/LRI (another tripod mount for the Sig Kilo 2000 - watch the difference between the Type = Gen I vs Gen II); Swaroviski (BTX binocular spotting scope & binocular eyepiece module - available in May); Zeiss (Conquest Gavia 85 spotting scope)
Info/Pubs - “P.O. Ackley: America’s Gunsmith” (new book)
Site Update (Feb 26 2017):
Additions and updates since Feb 19 2017
Rifles - Nosler (Model 48 Long Range Rifle in 33 Nosler)
Rifle Components - CarbonSix (carbon fiber wrapped barrels)
Info/Info Sites & Forums - Snipershide on Scout (is now history, all forum posts locked up tight; prior links on this site/my site removed; proceed to the new “old” site)
Site Update (Feb 19 2017):
Additions and updates since Feb 12 2017
Rifle Components - Really Right Stuff/RRS (scope bases and rings; interestingly, they also have a clamp-style tripod mount for the SIG Kilo 2000)
Misc - Field Ballistics (Windows phone exterior ballistics app)
Ranges - Hurtig Shooting Center (ID, to 1450 yds; .50 BMG OK except on their steel)
Info/Info Sites & Forums - Snipershide (after 2+ years of being on Scout, Lowlight has taken the site back “home”, to the “old” URL, dedicated servers, and, hopefully, back to where you can search without getting hits in a “...ball” channel; all the Scout content is shortly going away, presumably to be totally lost, which was not the case back in 2014 when they went to Scout AND retained all the old SH content on the old site - still there, just mind-cycle back to 2014. If you have content of Scout that you want carried over, you need to copy and paste it over to the “new” old site.)
Admin - completed link checks. If you find a problem, please alert me at email@example.com Thanks.
Site Update (Feb 12 2017):
Additions and updates since Feb 5 2017
Rifles - Noreen Firearms (removed “ULR Extreme” - no longer offered); SAI (Denmark - removed the CRS-338, discontinued; they are in development of a replacement which they expect to release by the end of ‘17); Surgeon (removed Remedy XL and PSR models - no longer offered; now only “custom” builds off the Remedy XL action); Swiss Arms (removed - SAN 511, their only ELR rifle, no longer offered)
Rifle Components - Harrell’s Precision (muzzle brakes - very inexpensive but high quality); Receiver Matrix (updated - added Cadex and Jard actions); TIER-ONE (UK - bipods and scope rings/rails)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Bore Tech (removed - their bullet line has been removed form their site, presumably discontinued); UNIS GINEX (primers, added note, “also available for .50 BMG”)
Misc - Nightforce (added tripods)
Training - Gunsite Academy (AZ)
Admin - link checks continuing, now through Reloading Equipment
Site Update (Feb 5 2017):
Additions and updates since Jan 29 2017
Rifles - American Rifle Company/ARC (removed the “M2” rifle, thus their rifle listing - they decided not to produce it); Armalite (removed the AR-50A1BNM/National Match model has - discontinued when they determined that the base model A1B was producing equally good performance); Bergara (removed - no longer producing a “production” rifle in at least 338 LM and no longer listing such an option for their custom builds); Diverse Capabilities Ltd (removed - site gone); Gila River Tactical (removed - site gone); McMillan Firearms (after making a lot of noise a couple of years back about the recoil reduction gained with its R2 version of the TAC-50 A1, that model has now been discontinued)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Windcut Bullets (Italy, brass solids in all the popular ELR calibers, e.g., .338 to 345 gr, .375 to 439 gr, and .510 to 1215 gr - limited tech info at http://windcutbullets.com/content/4-chi-siamo - use a translator)
Gunsmith - Todd Ramirez Rifles (TX)
Admin - I have started doing link checks, only completed the the Rifles page so far. There are several MIA products that I am following up on. If you have a link issue with that page, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks.
Site Update (Jan 29 2017):
Additions and updates since Jan 22 2017
Rifle Components - JARD (actions and chassis); Leapers/UTG (scope bases and rings); Manners Composite Stocks (added a “New for 2017” tab to their site); Schmidt & Bender (“New Products 2017” brochure)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Nosler (has added a .338 caliber projectile to its AccuBond Long Range/LR series - 265 gr. .778 GI and .380 G7 BC)
Misc - Newcom Optik (added the “Seeker M” QD, mountable LRF, 3000m range); Target Hit Indicator Systems/THIS (hit indicator that uses a camera flash unit; review)
Site Update (Jan 22 2017):
Additions and updates since Jan 20 2017 (beyond links added from SHOT Show 2017)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Nexus Ammunition (338 LM)
Gunsmiths - Jack Keister Custom (VA)
2017 SHOT Show: Day 4 (Jan 20 2017):
See intro comments/context at the beginning of the Day 1 posts. Fairly light day…ended with an interesting meeting - which I hope to be able to tell you about soon. To Day 4:
1. Annealing Made Perfect – was showing their new, .50 BMG-specific, model annealer (looks the same, including the size, as the current model except for the larger case fitting; same price as the current model; the “Mark II”?); they also advised that a case feeder will be coming (approx $400 MSRP); and finally they advised that they are now starting to capture and publish setting data down to the case-lot-number level (http://www.ampannealing.com/settings). The .50 BMG annealer and the case feeded are expected to be shipping in Jun/Jul.
2. Best Dxxx Gun – was showing their “Modular Aluminum REM 700 LA – AR15 Chassis core”. Imagine the center section of an XLR chassis with rear attach receptacle for AR buttstocks, AR pistol grip attach fittings, and an interchangeable front piece for AR handguards. The “inlet” is for Rem 700 LA and clones and those triggers; floorplate with internal mag or DBM (Wyatt, AICS, and Accurate-Mag thru .338 LM, CIP length). Bottom line, supports R700 and clone actions and mags in a rifle otherwise using AR furniture. They indicated they might be willing to do a single-shot variant. More info and pricing at http://bdguns.corecommerce.com/CHASSIS/modular-aluminum-chassis-core-r700la-ar15.html They are working with multiple handguard suppliers to develop brand/model-specific interface modules. Shipments are expected to begin in about 2 weeks. NOTE: Their website is clearly marked “Dealers Only”, so call for dealer contact info.
3. Horus – was showing their new Tremor 4 Spotting Scope reticle - https://horusvision.com/
4. Infinition – this is the name of the company that was displaying in the same booth as LabRadar. Offering a product verbally described as a “plus $100K doppler radar chron”, there was no one in the booth to speak to capabilities – only a photo of their model BR-29015 integrated into the booth’s rear wall. More info at http://www.infinition.com/site/index.php/us/products-us/10-ghz-en-us/br-29015-en-us
5. Liberty Suppressor – advised that they have a .338 LM model (Ti) in beta testing, expected to be released in 30-45 days.
6. MagnetoSpeed – was showing their new “hit identification system”, a small, linear, bank of LEDs that attaches, magnetically, to the back of a steel plate, and extends about ¾” beyond the target edge. When the target is hit the light comes on and when the target is missed (unclear at up to what distance) the light also lights up (different colors). It comes with one “spare” of the acetate-looking portion that is exposed beyond the target. Nothing yet of their website or FB page. [No, I do not know whether it would be visible at ELR distances – the product focus is ranges shorter than 1000 yards. So I’m “giving” the product the benefit of the doubt that it may be visible at closer ELR distances in some lighting conditions.]
7. Precision Armament – checked out their muzzle brakes supporting .338 LM and was surprised to find that a quite small break (with rear-angled side vents) can be more efficient (in reducing recoil) than a much larger break with straight-to-the-side vents (compared their M4-72, smaller brake, to their much larger M11 brake) - https://precisionarmament.com/ [NOTE: the M4-72 is not shown selectable in .338, I suggest you call before assuming the “store” function will allow you to add a note.]
8. Timney – advised that they have released a version of their Calvin Elite trigger for Rem 700s with multiple (as in 4 – all included) adjustable trigger shoes, “Calvin Elite A” (“A” for adjustable). See the Jan 17 video on their FB page - https://www.facebook.com/timneytriggers
9. X-treme Bullets – has added a .50 BMG SKU to their primers line (R50BMG). I was advised that they are sourced from General Dynamics. The pricing provided, adjusted by the high end of the mark-up they suggested, yields a number less than 20% of CCI 35s. They are packaged/sold in cases of 5K. [Quite frankly, this appears to be a mis-statement on the price sheet, should probably be for qty 1K, not 5K. Bottom line, call or e-mail them.]
10. NN (nothing new) – Dillon Precision, Fierce, Hard Core, Harris (bipods), Kowa, Lehigh, Shilen, Target Vision, and TPS (scope mounts).
2017 SHOT Show: Day 3 (Jan 19 2017):
See intro comments/context at the beginning of the Day 1 posts. Today was a rather painful day, legs are big-time aching. Did a wall-to wall of the main show floor, top level. To Day 3.
1. Black Hills Ammunition - was showing an addition to the Black Hills Gold line, .338 LM with 285 gr., Hornady ELD-M projectile (2800 fps MV, 4961 ft lb ME).
2. Burris - has added a non-illuminated version of their XRT II 4-20x50 scope.
3. FCSA (Fifty Caliber Shooters Association) "related" - Brett Berger had the "prototype" of his personal, SOLIDWORKS-modeled, .50 BMG, tube gun on display in their booth. Word is he is looking to build a couple more and sell them off to help defray the cost of development. Pic #1,2.
4. Gunwerks - advised that their "effectively-limited-edition", .375 CT, "HAMR" rifle is shipping (not on display, nothing on their website, supposedly only 50 to be built, based on the Stiller Tac 408 action).
5. Minox - has added illuminated reticle versions to its ZX5 scope line (ZX5i).
6. Newcon Optic - had their "LRB 6K" (6000m NATO target) version of their LRB 12K LRF in the "New Products" area. Specs not yet on their website. $9500 (MSRP), available now.
7. Nikon - was showing their new Monarch Fieldscopes (spotters) and eye pieces - see pics and specs at http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/fieldscopes/monarch/index.page
8. Nosler - had samples of their new 265 gr., tipped, spitzer .338 on display (.778 G1 BC). A .338 caliber version of their heavily-advertised RDF projectile series will be available "in the future".
9. Oehler - their at-least-two-year-old, high end, System 88 chrono has received a software upgrade to provide "extended range training". Call or e-mail for their 8-page "Luckenbach Ballistics" narrative. [Based on what's happened in the last two years, don't expect to view System 88 info on, or download it from, their website.]
10. Remington - will be launching a .338 LM "Chassis" (rifle) latter this year (Oct?). Otherwise totally mum except that it will be different from the MSR.
11. Sierra (update) - a .338 TMK (tipped Match King) is NOT on their radar.
12. SIG Electro-Optics - has updated the Whisky5 series to "Whisky5 5-25x52 with Levelplex" - Levelplex is an anti-cant feature (.5 degree left or right). They also added a "Lockdown Push Button" (zero stop) feature and a "TH-100 elevation turret" (100 clicks).
13. SKB Cases - had the new # 3i-5616-9B-L long gun case on display (interior - 56x16x9). Pics and specs at http://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=9&pid=185
14. Steyr - had their updated SSG-08 rifle on display (the SSG-08A1) - long top rail, adjustable LoP, spiral bolt fluting, and an AR-style, hinged dust cover over the ejection port. Shipments expected to being this quarter.
15. Truvelo (South Africa) - had one of their not-new-but-awe-inspiring CMS 12.7x99 (.50 BMG) sniper rifles on display in their Vegas-based importer's/reseller's booth (Phoenix Defence/Gun Mountain) - http://www.gunmountain.com/truvelo/ Interestingly, they advised they have a couple of orders for the substantially larger, gorgeous CMS 14.5x114 (Russian) - LE/Mil sales. Somebody LE-foe is going to be getting thundering surprise when that baby comes a knocking. Pic #1,2,3,4,5,6.
16. Versa-Pod - was advised that their much-improved 350 Series bipods (which were introduced at SHOT 2016) are still not up to the top of the new tooling queue. It has many of the features of the Sierra 7 line at a much reduced price. Draw your own conclusions.
17. Victrix/Beretta - had samples of their Scorpio Evo (.338 LM) and Tormentor (.375 CT) rifles on display. They are expected to be shipping right after SHOT (2017). A scale-up of the Tormentor, in .50 BMG, is expected by late 2017. Scorpio Evo pic #1,2,3,4,5. Tormentor pic #1,2,3,4,5,6.
18. Zeiss - was showing three implementations of their new "Conquest Gavia 85" 30-60x85 spotter. Pics and specs at https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_de/hunting/spotting-scopes/conquest-gavia.html
19. NN (nothing new) - Barnes (ammo & projectiles), Barrett, Bergera, Blaser, Bushmaster, Christensen, FN, H-S Precision, Hersoldt, Leica, Leupold, Magpul, Thunder Beast, and Weatherby.
2017 SHOT Show: Day 2 (Jan 18 2017):
See intro comments/context at the beginning of the Day 1 posts. Today was a very light day, basically a wall-to-wall of the "LE/Mil" areas plus the "New Products" display area. To Day 2:
1. B&T Industries (the Atlas bipod and Accu-Shot monopod folks) - only thing new is the BT57-QK monopod for AI's AT rifle and ATAICS chassis system; not a drop-in, machining required.
2. Big Horn - HOT news, after many years saying no need to build a .338 LM bolt face action, the company owner has passed the word, "Develop a .338 LM-capable action." The designer told me that means it WILL go into production. Current thought is 1.450 OD with .750 bolt body. While it could go into production this year, SHOT 2018 looks like the more probable launch event.
3. Drake Associates - was showing their new long action version of their "Hunter Stalker SOCOM" chassis and rifle, now available in 338 LM. They will also be offering the associated action and barreled action - $1000 for the action, add $200 for an integrated 20 MOA rail - call.
4. IOR/Valdada - announced another variant of their FFP scope line, the 9-36x56 "Patriot"; Mil or MOA reticles; pics and info at http://www.valdada.com/9-36x56-40mm-patriot-ffp-mil-mil-mp-8-dot-mod-or-ffp-moa-moa-mp-8-dot-mod/
5. JARD - was advised that their older J50 semi-auto .50 BMG rifle has been retired, the J51 improved version replaces it. They were also showing one of their J70 open-top "modern rifles" - available in .338 LM and the action (Rem 700 clone footprint) is available stand alone for $750. It has the large Savage tenon thread (1 1/16-20) but will not accept Savage pre-fit barrels because of it has a 45 degree cone bolt nose..This product needs to be reviewed and the word gotten out - American made, supports up to .338 LM, and $750. J70 rifle and action pics and info are at http://www.jardinc.com/jard-j70/ - the .338 LM info is not yet there but the pricing is. BTW, the J70 chassis is also available stand alone, see http://www.jardinc.com/jard-bolt-action-chassis/
6. Operators Suppressor Systems/OSS - was showing their Helix HX Mag suppressor in .338 LM; they also have a .50 cal in development, timing TBD.
7. Small Arms Technologies - had one of their .50 BMG suppressors in the New Products area. Pics and info at https://www.smallarmstechnologies.com/rifle-2
8. NN (nothing new) - Badger Ordnance, Elite Iron, GAP, Gemtech, Griffin, Kinetic/KRG, Oakwood Controls, Raug Ammotec, Safety Harbor, Serbu, Silencer Co, and Tangent Theta.
2017 SHOT Show: Day 1 (Jan 17 2017):
As with last year's reporting, on Day 1 I went to specific booths throughout the entire show area that I had particular interest in (heard that something was coming or just a company of usual ELR interest). I will do wall-to-walls on subsequent days. I only talk to folks about ELR and ELR-related products, so typically no info on other products. "NN" denotes "nothing new" - booths I visited but where I found nothing that had not already turned up in one of my site's weekly News updates. [Please check recent weekly updates if you think I missed something that you felt was new "at SHOT". And, since I am certainly fallible, please e-mail me to let me know that I actually did missed something new and ELR-related - my call on whether to conclude as ELR-related and new "at SHOT". E-mail me at email@example.com.] So here goes, in alpha order.
1. Accuracy International/AI - announced and displayed the new "AX50" rifle with quick-change barrel and right-folding buttstock. Bolt, LoP, and checkpiece are all now tool-less, the bolt shroud now matches (in style) the rest of the AI line, and there will be a double-stack, 10-round mag. Availability - second half on '17. Check AI distributors for pre-order opportunities. Pic #1,2. The now-older-style AX50 is no longer in production but stock is still in distribution. I was also advised that .338 Norma Magnum barrels (for the AXMC) are now in distribution.
2. American Rifle Company - advised that Mausingfield actions will now be shipping with DLC-coated bodies and bolt heads and nitrided bolts (other than the noted bolt heads).
3. Ashbury Precision Ordnance/APO - announced their "ULR Package" ASW .375 CT rifle with a heavier-contour/stiffer barrel, barrel lengths up to 32", new twist (1:8), and carbon fiber handguard - also available in .408 CT. They also announced the ability to upgrade .375 CT rifles to Proof carbon fiber barrels (29", 1:9 twist).
4. Berger - multi-caliber solids continue in development. Apparently over 50 iterations already evaluated. That noted, they are "very enthusiastic" about ELR-focused projectiles.
5. Bix 'n Andy (Austria) - "TacSport" trigger for the Rem 700. [Note: What was previously announced under this name has now been renamed as the Marksman.] This is their $235 "Jewel Killer" ($255 for two-stage). Externally adjustable from 10 ounces to 4.5 # (ONE spring for all weights), super-crisp break, low reset pressure, SS construction, with safety and bolt stop. Bullet Central, the US distributor and reseller, expects to start shipping in April. Tried and breaks beautifully! See pics at https://bulletcentral.com/new-tacsport-may-exciting-product-shot-show-2017/ They were also showing the new BAT "TR" long action repeater (action) - an "update" (my term, not theirs) of the current HR receiver action. This model is an exclusive for Bullet Central. Expected to ship in March/April. Pic and more info at http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s=BAT+ction&submit=Search
6. Cold Shot/Heritage Arms - launched their adjustable "Mil Radian Angle (scope) Base"/M.R.A.B. With 72 and 144 mil versions, also identified as Gen 3 (from the improvements made in the current MOAB model and carried over). Imagine a MOAB with much finer threads for the adjusting screw, mil-calibrated wheel, and new info text on the side. Available for immediate ordering, same pricing as the MOAB. Pic #1,2. NOTE: Within the next 2-3 weeks they will be posting an article on the demonstrated accuracy of the MRAB.
7. Cutting Edge Bullets (CEB) - no new products but I was able to confirm that they will still do "customs" - minimum 250 pieces.
8. Explorer Cases (Italy) - released the "X-Long Gun Case" (#15416) rifle case. Designed for .50 cal and other very large rifles, the interior dims are 60.6 x 14.9 x 6.3. Has wheels and a two-hand side handle. Available in mid-Feb.
9. IWI/Isreal Weapon Industries - had the previously (years ago) announced "DAN" .338 LM rifle on display. Supposedly now committed for US distribution. Nice two-page layout in their 2017 catalog (print catalog). Zip so far on their US website.
10. Long Range Arms/LRA - had one of their “Send-It” multi-indicator-light cant indicators in the Christensen booth - no info, no rep. Pic #1,2. [Update - their website is now up - https://longrangearms.com/]
11. Lyman - was showing the "Bag Jack" rifle rest (a very sturdy, scissor-jack-style rest; available with a large, X-pattern, front rest bag; also released a .338 LM "Ammo Checker" (checks to SAAMI minimum specs).
12. Manners Composite Stocks - introduced the "Platinum Series", built with a new layup process which produces stiffer and stronger stocks. First models are the MCS-PRS1 (with butt hook) and PRS2 (bag rider). The BIG news for ELR is the MCS-LRT (long range tactical) for the Ko2M competition - two models, one for actions up to 1.6" diameter and the second for action as large as 2.0" in diameter AND .50 BMG-size action length. These stocks are extremely strong, have a 3" wide forearm, and are 7-8" longer than "standard" MCS stocks. They will come standard with KMW checkpiece hardware. There will be no mini-chassis available because of the low volume for this model and the wide variety of potential mini-chassis that would be required. One "got-ya" but a possible solution. Because of the extremely bolt length of 12" long actions (e.g., BAT EX), the checkpiece will need to be removed to completely remove the bolt - TBD solution, a folder version. The tang and trigger areas will need to be custom cut by your smith. Order now for availability (hopefully) in time to get load development in before Ko2M 2017 (late June). Pic #1,2,3,4. [Update: they added a “New for 2017” page to their site.]
13. March (Japan) - formally released the "High Master Series" of SFP scopes with "Super ED" glass. Available in 10-60x56, fixed 48x52, and 40-60x52 - the last with "eyepiece zoom" where the zoom function is in the eyepiece. Available now with a 20% SHOT Show discount thru 1/30/2017. Pics and more details at http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/01/march-unveils-impressive-new-high-master-series-of-scopes/http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/01/march-unveils-impressive-new-high-master-series-of-scopes/
14. McMillan Fiberglass Stocks - was displaying their "ELR Beast" stock for "King of Two Mile" competition. Will accept 2.0" round actions and barrels as large as 2.0" straight cylinder. Sample not shown with, but production units will be available with, an adjustable checkpiece - a simple wrap-over to clear the very long bolts of the very large actions. Availability - about 4 months.
15. Noreen - no new products but was able to confirm that they will sell the brutish action used in their ULR rifle as a stand alone. This is a case-holder style, single shot action.
16. Peterson Cartridge Company - their previously announced .375 CT (9.5 x 77) and .408 CT (10.36 x 77) brass are now up for ordering; expected to ship in 7-10 days from 1/19. While there was no commitment on a date for first shipments of the pre-orders, they noted that they have committed to ship to OEM ammo partners within 30 days.
17. RCBS - was showing the "ChargeMaster Lite", a fairly full-function, lower-cost, version of the ChargeMaster powder measure. Pic #1,2,3.
18. Ritter & Stark (Austria) - had a chance to look over their SX-1 MTR rifle. These are the folks with the rifle that has the scope rail attached (pin and two screws) to the barrel (for perfect alignment when swapping barrels). A single tool (4mm Allen) will disassemble most everything, supports an AI double-stack mag, does not currently include a barrel extension but one is coming (at which point the scope will mount to the barrel extension and the customer can get barrels made to thread to the extension), and it shoots <.5 MOA with Swiss P match ammo (what they have tested with so far). They will retail for $6555 (.338 LM version). Availability within approximately 6 weeks. They are working with a reseller in Utah for most-immediate end-user purchases. They have an office in the US.
19. Schmidt & Bender - announced the "Long Range Reticle - Mil" (LLR-Mil) reticle (initial release expected in May/June) for four PM II models. Three pages in their "New Products 2017" mini-catalog - way too small images and text to produce decent pics. Also announced a removable magnification throw level and an advanced version of their multi-turn turret adjustment, the "Multi-Turn II". [Update: “New for 2017” catalog.]
20. Surgeon - has added the J. Allen rifle stock as an option. They said they have a CT-capable action in development (for use, as a rifle, with "probably" a J. Allen or AI-sourced stock).
21. U.S. Optics - explained what's "new" in their "B series" models (B-25 example) - same light gathering capability with a smaller objective (developed and tested with ray tracing; able to be mounted closer to the barrel centerline), reduced extraneous light is bright conditions, smaller turret body (able to be mounted closer to the barrel centerline), internal elevation and windage adjustments (only a "revolution counter" feature remains visible in the turrets), and 30 mils elevation (can't check what it was since the "old" 25 model is no longer on their website).
22. Velocity Tactics - advised they have completed the design of a .375 caliber solid brass projectile but have yet to take it further - no current commitment to produce. BTW, they are currently selling 338 LM ammo loaded with their current 250 gr solid brass projectiles (1.359-claimed G1 BC) under the Fort Scott Munitions brand.
23. Warner Tool (in the MPA booth) - advised they expect to have a 400 grain .375 caliber Flat Line model within six months; a .408 model is also in development (weight undisclosed).
24. XLR - "Envy" chassis - a very streamlined, update (my term, not theirs) of the Element chassis with integrated Pic rail in the bottom of an open-top, fixed forearm with integrated trigger guard and QD mounts. Comes standard with a new butt stock - no castle nut, smooth transition at the attach point to the main chassis section (basically the "Tactical" buttstock with a long screw thru the tube in place of the nut). The castle nut buttstocks are also available. Supports up to a 1.25" straight cylinder barrel. Currently only SA but LA version coming this Summer. BTW, notwithstanding what it appears to suggest on their site, they will still do custom inlets for their Evolution line - based on what they perceive as potential demand, seems at least two (2) units because of the way the Evolution line is manufactured. Since only the SA model was shown, no pics.
25. NN (nothing new) - Cadex (since their very-recent release of their 2017 catalog - see their website), Celestron, Defiance, Desert Tech, Hodgdon, Kahles, Krieger, LabRadar, Lapua, Nightforce, Pacific Tool & Gauge, Redding, SAC (other that the noted Surgeon "news"), Sierra, and Swarovski.
Site Update (Jan 15 2017):
Additions and updates since Jan 8 2017
Rifles - Victrix (acquired by Beretta)
Rifle Components - SEB Engineering (Indonesia, bipod)
Reloading Equipment - Corbin (added Facebook link); Lethal Precision Arms/LPA (now offering formed brass and die set for its .375 Lethal Magnum); Ohaus (scales); Sartorius (scales)
Site Update (Jan 8 2017):
Additions and updates since Jan 1 2017
Rifles - EDM Arms (removed, business closed)
Rifle Components - Vortex (2017 catalogs are out, includes “new-for-2017” Viper PST Gen II and Diamondback Tactical scope models plus the Razor HD spotter)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Bullett’s Bullets (removed, site gone); Monolithic Munitions (removed - ceased commercial ammo production on 12/31/2016); Unis Ginex (primers)
Site Update (Jan 1 2017):
Additions and updates since Dec 25 2016
Rifles - Cadex Defence (Canada, new rifles for 2017 - “CDX-MC/Multi-Caliber System/KRAKEN”, incl 338 LM, 3-lug bolt, Bartlein barrel; “CDX-R7/SHEPHERD”, multi cartridge options, incl 338 LM, 4-lug bolt, built-in aluminum micro-chassis - see 2017 catalog); R. Crouse Rifles (custom builds)
Rifle Components - Brugger & Thomet/B&T (Switzerland, suppressors); Cadex Defence (full line of repeater actions, 338 LM thru .50 BMG; “Strike-Nuke”, conventional/non-folder chassis with built-in aluminum micro-chassis, for Rem 700 clones and their LA repeaters; “Lite Competition” and “Field Competition” chassis for Rem 700 clones and their LA repeaters; “Falcon” bipod; .338/CT/.50 BMG suppressors - see 2017 catalog)
Misc/Target Impact Viewing Systems - Target Vision (now has a 2-mile-range version of their camera system, the “ELR”); Vectronix (is now Safran Optics 1)
Site Update (Dec 25 2016):
Additions and updates since Dec 18 2016
Rifles - Sero (TFB has a great article, a tour of the Sero plant in Hungary where they produce the Gepard line of rifles; heavy on the GM6 Lynx .50 BMG rifle)
Cartridges - .375 HE/Hubel Express (added, a necked-down/wildcat of the .585 HE - a public domain design; cases, dies, and reamers are or will shortly be available); .375 Mercenary (added - generally based on a up-sized, unbelted .585 Hubel Express case but with almost 200 gr H2O capacity; reamers, brass, and dies available from or through the designer); .375 Warlord (removed - designer has moved on from this design in preference for another of his designs, the .375 Mercenary, which is proprietary)
Site Update (Dec 18 2016):
Additions and updates since Dec 11 2016
Rifle Components - Nightforce (announced the ATACR 7-35x56 F1 scope)
Misc - Newcon Optik (added LRM 3500M LRF monocular, not yet on their site); Sightron (added spotting scopes and tripod links); Zoro (material /rubber - replaced Rubber Sheet Roll, site appears suspect)
Site Update (Dec 11 2016):
Additions and updates since Dec 4 2016
Rifle Components - Kinetic Development Group (QD scope mounts); Xtreme Hardcore (SHOT Show announcement - adding the XHCG chassis, support for AI .338 LM CIP length mags)
Reloading - ADI (added link to Load Data for their powders, including .338 LM and .50 BMG)
Misc - Explorer (added US distributor link - many additional rifle cases shown, including the just announced #15416 X-Large case - 60.6 x 14.9 x 6.3 interior - see the 2017 catalog download); TZ Case (rifle cases to 60.75” long, interior)
Site Update (Dec 4 2016):
Additions and updates since Nov 27 2016
Ammo & Ammo Components - Chinchaga Bullet Co (.338 up to 325 gr and .375 up to 435, rebated BT projectiles with pointie silver tips - very similar to Rocky Mountain Bullets)
Misc - SIG Sauer/SIG Electro-Optics and Applied Ballistics (announced the “SIG Sauer Kilo 2400 ABS” LRF with Applied Ballistics calculator/software)
Site Update (Nov 27 2016):
Additions and updates since Nov 20 2016
Rifle Components - Advance Long-range Systems/ALS (muzzle brakes for .50 cal rifles - not shown on website as available separately, call); Lothar Walther (announced they are now offering special rifle steel and SS barrel blanks in .408 caliber, 36”, 1:13 twist - also on US site pages)
Info/Sites & Forums - Silencer Talk (forum)
Info/Pubs... - “Rifle Sighting Systems: SFP vs FFP” by Greg Dykstra, Part 3 of a 4-part series on the Primal Rights website
Site Update (Nov 20 2016):
Additions and updates since Nov 13 2016
Ranges - Extreme Tactics & Training (TX, .50 BMG OK except on their steel, max 1200 yards)
Site Update (Nov 13 2016):
Additions and updates since Nov 6 2016
Rifles - Ritter & Stark (nice article but in German, enjoy the pics)
Ammo & Ammo Components - GS Custom/GSC (has been acquired by CheyTac); Peterson (now taking pre-orders for .375/9.5x77 and .408/10.36x77 brass; $124/50, which is $24 under Bertram/HSM); Sniper Extreme/Lehigh Defense (has added .375/9.5x77 and .408/10.36x77 “CT” ammo)
Reloading Equipment - Triebel (Germany, dies incl .375 and .408 CT plus custom)
Misc/Chamber Reamers - Triebel (Germany)
Gunsmiths - Sinister Arms (CA)
Cartridges - added designations for CIP proposals on “CT” .375 and .408 (proposed as 9.5x77 and 10.36x77, respectively)
Site Update (Nov 6 2016):
Additions and updates since Oct 30 2016
Rifle Components - Cold Shot (having recently updated the MOAB adjustable base from Gen 2 to Gen 3, they have now updated 3 to 3.5 - “Gen 3.5, elevating wheel is now threaded and held in place with a 7/8 diameter adjusting ring, lash can be controlled to .0002 or less with a large surface area to absorb recoil and not lose adjustment”; updates from 3 to 3.5 are for the cost of the return shipping); Granite Mountain Arms/GMA (“African Magnum” Mauser-style action, up to .505 Gibbs/CT class); Heritage Arms (brakes)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Peregrine (added .338/305 gr RangeMaster red copper solid with .429 G7 and .416/500 gr RangeMaster copper solid with .416 G7; links to RangeMaster chart added to projectile matrix; now selling direct thru US branch/website - call re new items and out of stock)
Reloading Equipment - MEC (has entered the rifle cartridge reloading press market with their “Marksman” single stage press)
Site Update (Oct 30 2016):
Additions and updates since Oct 23 2016
Rifles - Norma (33 Nosler chamberings in the Model 48 Custom, Heritage, and Liberty repeaters in Q1’17); RPA (nice pic of the first of the new “Ultra 338 Lapua” rifles - sweet!)
Rifle Components - American Rifle Compnay ( .338 LM testing has been completed successfully and it is now shown as a supported option for the Mausingfield action)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Ed Hubel (brass - formed .375 Warlord + base .585 Hubel Express/.585HE); Nosler (33 Nosler ammo & brass in Q1’17)
Cartridges - 33 Nosler (based on the .404 Jeffery- like the other fairly new cartridges from Nosler; ballistics close enough to .338 LM to include); .375 Warlord (based on the .585HE; reamers available from JGS and PTG]
Site Update (Oct 23 2016):
Additions and updates since Oct 16 2016
Rifle Components - Christensen Arms (“Slayer” muzzle brake for .338 LM)
Ranges - Bolder Rifle & Pistol Club (NV, max .338 Edge/.338 LM); OFP Match Worx (MS, up to 1700 yards, .50 BMG OK, suppressors required for .338 and larger); Outback Precision Rifle Club (TX, up to 1700 yds and .50 BMG); South Hills Rifle Range (TX, 1060 yards, max .338)
Site Update (Oct 16 2016):
Additions and updates since Oct 9 2016
Rifle Components - Hardy Rifle Engineering (NZ, barrels, including carbon wrapped, in .338; 2 US resellers)
Info/Info Sites - Applied Ballistics (has added a Resource Website, including “Tall Tree Test”, a PDF)
Site Update (Oct 9 2016):
Additions and updates since Oct 2 2016
Ammo & Ammo Components - Woodleigh (Australia; 395 gr, brass solid, VLD projectiles for .416 Barrett)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Nikon (introduced the Monarch 7i VR, “vibration reduction”, rangefinder, max 1000 yards)
Training - Ashbury Precision/APO (announced “APO Riflecraft”, max 2200 yards)
Site Update (Oct 2 2016):
Additions and updates since Sep 25 2016
Admin - link checks completed; readers requested to let me know if they find a link problem, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks!
Site Update (Sep 25 2016):
Additions and updates since Sep 18 2016
Rifle Components - Era-Tac (added link to second US reseller - better prices than Eurooptics); Status Guns & Engineering (New Zealand, no sooner than I had posted about the discontinuance of their .50 BMG actions, they advised they will be continuing to produce them); TACOMHQ (“structured barrels” and TARAC “inclined-base-alternatives”)
Ammo & Ammo Components - CheyTac (is now offering ammo loaded with GSC projectiles - no ballistics); Desert Tech (now offering ,50 BMG ammo with Hornady A-Max projectiles); IMI (Israel, added link to their .50 BMG ammo with 661 gr M33/Nato or Hornady A-Max projectiles)
Retailers/E-tailers - New England Custom Gun Service/NCEG
Admin - completed link checking the Ammo & Ammo Components page
Site Update (Sep 18 2016):
Additions and updates since Sep 11 2016
Rifles - PGM (the “PGM 338” has been discontinued, to be replaced in 2017; added link to their 2016-17 online catalog, which still shows the discontinued model); Ritter & Stark (Austria, “SX-1 MTR” in 338 LM; interestingly the scope rail attaches to the barrel); Steyr (the 338 LM model has been removed from the “SSG Carbon” line); Victrix (Italy, their Facebook page has details of the new “Mars/Tormentum” model in 375 and 408 CT)
Rifle Components - Status Guns & Engineering (New Zealand, their .50 BMG action has been discontinued but may be coming back soon depending on how many of several recent inquiries turn into orders)
Admin - have completed link checks of the Rifles and Rifle Components pages
Site Update (Sep 11 2016):
Additions and updates since Sep 4 2016
Rifles - Armalite (the AR-50A1B-416 has been dropped from production, “lack of sales”)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Leica (introduced the “Rangemaster CRF 2000-B” LRF which includes an inclinometer and temp sensor; max 2000 yards)
Misc/Target Impact Viewing Systems - MGM Targets (“Electronic Flash Target” - not a “target” but a camera flash unit and sensor to trigger the flash when the sensor-attached target is hit, reasonably priced, includes a tripod)
Admin - starting on another round of link checks; I would very much appreciate it if folks would let me know if they find broken or wrong links. Just e-mail me at email@example.com. Thanks!
Site Update (Sep 4 2016):
Additions and updates since Aug 28 2016
Rifles - Kovan Match Rifles (custom builds - Emil Kovan recently authored an article for AccurateShooter.com, “The Anatomy of a Modern F-Class Open Rifle” detailing the rifle he built and uses to win in F-Class events - that noted, he is available to build rifles up to .50 cal with up to a 2.0” diameter x 45” long barrel)
Rifle Components - Cold Shot (has launched Gen 3 of its MOAB - Minute of Angle Base - adjustable elevation scope mount, which provides, “improved clamping, a new backlash-free design, new engraving (“Gen 3” - so you can, going forward, know which version you have), and closer tolerances” all to help those with high-caliber rifles and heavy scope - Gen 2 units can be upgraded to Gen 3 for $60 and shipping/ins; they also let it out that the MRAB - Mil Radian Adjustable Base - is on the horizon, about 6-8 weeks out; note that the info on the base site is ancient (Gen 1), follow their products on their Facebook page)
Training - Evolved Ballistics (TX, max “approaching one mile”)
Site Update (Aug 28 2016):
Additions and updates since Aug 21 2016
Rifles - Desert Tech (has posted some great looking wallpapers)
Rifle Components - A-TEC (Norway, suppressors); Total Solutions Engineering/TSE (Australia, barrels)
Retailers/E-tailers - Dolphin Gun Company (UK)
Info/Sites and Forums - Lobaev Journal (Russia, in Russian and English)
Site Update (Aug 21 2016):
Additions and updates since Aug 14 2016
Rifles - Horizon Firearms (Elite Custom in .338 LM)
Reloading Equipment - Warner Tool (now on Facebook)
Misc/Ranging & Target Solution Aids - Hornady (has introduced a new ballistic calculator, the 4DOF, based on projectile drag coefficients rather than BCs, max 2000 yards)
Info/Pubs... - McMillan Stocks posted a nice YT video of the 2016 KO2M shoot (Applied Ballistics team only)
Site Update (Aug 14 2016):
Additions and updates since Aug 7 2016
Reloading Equipment - Recreational Software, Inc./RSI (“Pressure Trace II” rifle chamber pressure tester)
Misc/Ranging & Target Solution Aids - Recreational Software, Inc./RSI (“Shooting Lab” - ballistic calculator, target analyzer ++)
Admin - completed adding Facebook links, including on the following pages - Info Sites & Forums, Legal
Site Update (Aug 7 2016):
Additions and updates since Jul 31 2016
Products/Misc - Vortex (added the 22-48x65 and 27-60x85 models to their Razor HD spotting scope line); Zeiss (added the Conquest Gavia 85 spotting scope)
Admin - completed adding Facebook links on the following pages - Products/Misc, Gunsmiths, Ranges, Training, and Associations
Site Update (Jul 31 2016):
Additions and updates since Jul 24 2016
Rifles - Bix ;n Andy (added link to US importer, for special orders)
Rifle Components - Ivey (has started shipping the MOA version of their adjustable scope mounts; not yet listed on their site, call)
Misc/Material Suppliers - BuyMetal (good selection of aluminum alloys and sizes, esp 7075)
Admin - completed adding Facebook links on the Ammo & Ammo Components page and the Reloading Equipment page.
Site Update (Jul 24 2016):
Additions and updates since Jul 17 2016
Rifles - Bix’n Andy (Austria)
Admin - started adding Facebook links to Ammo & Ammo Components page
Site Update (Jul 17 2016):
Additions and updates since Jul 10 2016
Misc/Other Misc - Arisaka (optic leveler - aligns off Pic rail and bottom of the turret cluster)
Training - CORE Shooting Solutions (FL, up to 1100 yards, possibly longer)
Info/Forums - Calguns
Site Update (Jul 10 2016):
Additions and updates since Jul 3 2016
Rifles - Adams Custom Rifles (custom builds); Lethal Precision Arms (“the King” in .375 Lethal Magnum)
Cartridges - .375 Lethal Magnum (a brand new wildcat based on the .585 Hubel Express, a belted, CT-action/boltface-compatible case; used by the winning shooter at the recently-completed 2016 “King of 2 Miles” event)
Admin - added Facebook links to Rifle Components page (balance of that page)
Site Update (Jul 3 2016):
Additions and updates since Jun 26 2016
Rifle Components - Burris (scope bases and rings); Knight’s Armament (bipod); Mastin Custom Stocks (Australia, added back, new site)
Misc - Leica (introduced the Rangemaster CRF 1600-R LRF, replacement for the CRF 1000-R, 1600 yard max range)
Site Update (Jun 26 2016):
Additions and updates since Jun 19 2016
No additions or updates this week.
Site Update (Jun 19 2016):
Additions and updates since Jun 12 2016
Gunsmiths - Wheeler Accuracy (MT)
Admin - added Facebook links to Rifle Components page (partial)
Site Update (Jun 12 2016):
Additions and updates since Jun 5 2016
Misc - Sig Electro-Optics (OSCAR7 20-60x82mm spotting scope introduced)
Admin - added 80+ Facebook links to the Rifles page. Please note that I only included links to Facebook pages that appear relatively current. [Somewhat amazing, to me, many of those companies do not have a Facebook link on their website and many of those that do have a link on their website do not use the universally-recognized Facebook icon. Marketing 1 grade = D.]
Site Update (Jun 5 2016):
Additions and updates since May 29 2016
Rifle Components - Grayboe (stocks)
Misc - Explorer Cases (cases)
Admin - as I find time I’ll be adding Facebook links for companies that appear to stay current (starting with the Rifles page).
Site Update (May 29 2016):
Additions and updates since May 22 2016
Gunsmiths - Billy Goat Machine (CA)
Legal - “Listing of Federal Firearms Licensees - 2016”
Site Update (May 22 2016):
Additions and updates since May 15 2016
Rifle Components - Blackhawk (suppressor - available late Summer 2016); Falkor Defense (bipods)
Site Update (May 15 2016):
Additions and updates since May 8 2016
Ammo & Ammo Components - Cutting Edge Bullets (added a 250 gr Lazer and two 265 gr Lazers, a 267 gr MTAC, and a 265 gr MTH in .338; a 402, 427, and 452 MTAC and a 450 gr MTH in .375; a 472 gr MTAC and 450 and 470 gr MTH in .416 - they also dropped 5 MTH in .338 and one MTH in .375)
Info/Pubs - Applied Ballistics (announced another Bryan Litz text, “Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting, Vol II”, available now for pre-order, shipping in mid-June)
Site Update (May 8 2016):
Additions and updates since May 1 2016
No additions or updates this week.
Site Update (May 1 2016):
Additions and updates since Apr 24 2016
Misc - Roberts Tactical Precision/RTAC (IRIS remote controller with new extended range antenna brings total system capability to at least 3000 yards - tested at the URSA SoCal shoot on 4/24); Target Vision (announced their latest target impact viewing system, the LR-2, now available for pre-order)
Training - Cross-Hairs Long Range Hunting School (ID, up to 1200 yards)
Admin - today (May 1, 2016) is this site’s 5th anniversary. Thank you, Lord!
Site Update (Apr 24 2016):
Additions and updates since Apr 17 2016
Rifles - TrackingPoint (added “M1400 338LM”, “Precision Guided .338 LM” gone)
Rifle Components - Geissele (scope mounts)
Misc - Celestron (spotting scopes and tripods)
Ranges - Frontline Defense (NC - .50 BMG OK)
Training - White Feather Precision Shooting (TN)
Site Update (Apr 17 2016):
Additions and updates since Apr 10 2016
Ammo & Ammo Components - Hammer Bullets (.338 and .375 solid copper, HP)
Site Update (Apr 10 2016):
Additions and updates since Apr 3 2016
Rifles - Steel Core Designs (USA site now up; registration requirement removed); Truvelo (added US reseller link)
Misc - Kestrel Ballistics (application/education-focused website added)
Site Update (Apr 3 2016):
Additions and updates since Mar 27 2016
No additions or updates this week.
Site Update (Mar 27 2016):
Additions and updates since Mar 20 2016
No additions or updates this week.
Site Update (Mar 20 2016):
Additions and updates since Mar 13 2016
Ammo & Ammo Components - Clearwater Swiss Precision (Switzerland, has advised that they will export their monolithic copper and brass solids and their formed .416 Barrett and .460 Steyr brass to the US - to meet legal restrictions, they require a copy of the buyer’s drivers license and caliber-associated DROS); Warner Tool (formally announced and started taking orders for their high-BC, 361 gr, .375 Flat Line solids)
Reloading Equipment - Clear Water Swiss Precision (Switzerland, large cartridge press)
Cartridges - added the still-pending, 2015, .338 LM ANSI/SAAMI spec sheet and link to the 2015 ANSI/SAAMI standard
Site Update (Mar 13 2016):
Additions and updates since Mar 6 2016
Rifle Components - CheyTac (scope base & rings); Witt Machine (has added suppressors)
Ammo & Ammo Components - CheyTac (interesting note on the new CT site, ammo page, “We offer .375, 350 grain SMK; CheyTac® modifies SMK meplat plate to increase ballistic coefficient > 10%”); G9 Bullets (new company, announced a 232 gr, 338 brass solid; apparently exclusively sold through Mile High Shooting)
Site Update (Mar 6 2016):
Additions and updates since Feb 28 2016
Rifles - Prechtl (Germany, added MANSORY model in 338 LM); Victrix Armaments (Italy)
Rifle Components - SIG Sauer (suppressors); Terminator Products (New Zealand, added higher performance muzzle brake models - 6-ports/side T5 and 6-ports/side T6; comparative videos; thread chart)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Gunwerks (removed - no products shown on new site)
Reloading Equipment - Fluxeon (“Annie” induction annealer); Turban (Germany, presses)
Site Update (Feb 28 2016):
Additions and updates since Feb 21 2016
No additions or updates this week.
Site Update (Feb 21 2016):
Additions and updates since Feb 14 2016
Rifles - Robar (added RC50/RC50F, in .50 BMG, and SR-21, in .338 LM); Safety Harbor (notwithstanding the fact that the SHTF .50 BMG rifle is still shown on their website, apparently they are no longer offering complete .50 BMG rifles...but continuing to offer their AR uppers, call to confirm)
Rifle Components - David Tubb (noticed that he is listing a .50 BMG-specific T7T trigger - unclear what the differences are but it is $100 more than the base Rem 700 model); Ivey (notwithstanding there is nothing yet on their website, they have advised that they will be offering MOA versions of their new model adjustable scope mounts by Jun/Jul ‘16 and have started a list of folks interested in purchasing them, same model range and pricing as the Mil versions)
Misc - Cadex (has added hard cases with cut-out foam to match their CDX-33 rifle for $505.95, a great price for a wheeled case with cut-out foam); Ferrell Industries (Clear View, Pic-rail-attach scope levels)
Site Update (Feb 14 2016):
Additions and updates since Feb 7 2016
Rifles - Xtreme Machining (added back now that info is again on their site, notwithstanding that the rifle spec does not mention cartridge, presumably their .338 Xtreme)
Rifle Components - STW Systems (suppressors, .338, .375, and .408)
Gunsmiths - Bryant Custom (TX; just came out of retirement and is taking orders again)
Site Update (Feb 7 2016):
Additions and updates since Jan 31 2016
Rifles - Serbu (RN-50 page added, incl 3 videos, $875 pricing good until 2/19/16, “in production”)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Peterson Cartridge Co (confirmed that .375 and .408 CT cases are to be released in June/July 2016)
Reloading Equipment - Wilson (338 LM case gauge)
Misc - Lyman (“TargDots” remote paper target advancer, Spring 2016); Pentax/Ricoh (spotter scopes, multiple models); SilencerCo (pic-rail-mounted, “Radius” LRF, 1 mile max)
Ranges - Pennsylvania 1000 Yard Benchrest Club/Williamsport (has scheduled two FCSA 1000 yard matches in 2016, 6/11-12 and 9/17-18)
Feb 1 2016
Per Dale Poling at Elite Iron (this date), my prior SHOT Show coverage post that current Revolution bipod owners could upgrade to the new model (to gain panning capability) with a parts swap is now a “TBD”.
Site Update (Jan 31 2016):
Additions and updates since Jan 24 2016
Rifles - ABT Rifle Systems (UK, removed - cannot confirm they actually produce ELR models); Christensen Arms (removed ID that they have .416 Barrett and .50 BMG models - neither on their revised website nor in their 2016 online catalog; the new online catalog shows six .338 LM-optioned models but their site’s product pages show no .338 LM offerings - I’ve e-mailed them to advise); Templar Tactical (removed - currently not taking rifle orders, too much suppressor business)
Rifle Components - Minox (Germany, added scope lines, including the ZP5 5-25x56 w/ MAP: $2999); Phoenix Tactical Procurement (UK, HD bipods - will export to the US)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Peterson Cartridge Company (338 LM brass - target is to provide Lapua-level quality)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Leica (added the Leica Geovid Range series of binoculars with integrated LRF, good to 2000 yards)
Site Update (Jan 24 2016):
Additions and updates since Jan 17 2016 - beyond SHOT show coverage
Gunsmiths - Patriot Valley Arms (PA)
2016 SHOT Show: Day 4 (Jan 22 2016):
1. McMillan Fiberglass Stocks – they were showing 6 new-for-2016 models. [Of course no online data. I’ll try to photograph their flyer and post it this weekend during my “pic-add” session.] The most interesting one was the “Sentry”, McMillan’s first stock with AR-back-end offering. It is targeted towards shooters that like their AR buttstock and grip and might be interested in moving them to a bolt gun. In addition to sans-buttstock-and-grip (so the shooter can accessorize at will), they will probably be offering some specific non-McMillan pieces, so folks could get a “full” stock. All the new models are 12-14 weeks if ordered “now”. I flipped the flyer over and found that they also have 3 new paint finishes (appear like being viewed through a fog) and 3 new molded-in finishes, including “GAP Ambush” (I’m assuming “GAP”, as in GA Precision – all the text is bolded). Pic (Sentry) - #1
2. Cadex Defence (Canadian spelling) – was showing their new Shadow/CDX-40 (in .408 CT) and Tremor/CDX-50 (in .50 BMG). All the critical components, including the actions, but less the Bartlein barrels, are built in Canada in their own facilities. Most regrettably, they will NOT be offering their actions stand-alone. Their 2016 catalog (www.cadexdefence.com/media/) remains the only source for detail info on these models. Pics - #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
3. Savage – as noted in the Drake Associates “item”, Savage was showing the new, factory-blueprinted, Drake-stock-sporting, “110 BA Stealth” rifle (in 338 LM the SKU is 22640, MSRP: $1622). The flyer from the Drake booth notes, “A similar Savage/Drake combination recently took first place for Top National Guard Team and 8th place overall at the 2015 US Army International Sniper Competition.” Pics - #1, 2, 3
4. Truvelo (continued from Day 3, pissed pics) – I went back to photograph the bolt from their CMS 338. While there I was informed that Gun Mountain in Henderson, NV will be a reseller for Truvelo rifles. See www.gunmountain.com. Looks like a really interesting place – their home page flashes the offer of an M34 Mini-gun for $325K (as used in “Terminator”, “Predator” and other movies). The very kind lady in the adjacent booth is the proprietor. Pics - #1, 2
2016 SHOT Show: Day 3 (Jan 21 2016):
1. Minox - was showing their "MD 88 W" spotting scope (20-60x88, angled eyepiece only). This made-in-Germany spotter has a MAP of $1799. I was informed that the specs were on their site. As of 1/21/16 8:20 PM, Pacific, they are not.
2. Newcon Optik - was showing their latest spotting scopes, the Spotter LRF and Spotter LRF Pro. They include, as the names suggest, an LRF, an industry first. The Pro is 1550nm and has a max range of 3000 yards, the non-Pro is 905nm and has a range of 2000 yards. The spotter side is 15-45x60. Specs at http://www.newcon-optik.com/regular_optics.html Pics - #1, 2, 3
3. RCBS - was showing the M1000 scale (up to 1000 gr., replaces the model 1010).
4. Redding - was showing their new "Precision Inside Chamfer Tool" and their new "Piloted Case Chamfer and Debur Tool." The first cuts the inside chamfer at 15 degrees. The second handles both the inside and outside chamfer/deburr, the inside at 30 degrees. Both adjust for case length and align off the primer flash hole. Images at http://www.redding-reloading.com/media-center
5. Rifle Accuracy Systems/RAS (Bostrom Gunsmithing) - was showing their redesigned line of barrel harmonics tuners and tuner/brakes. The back story is their two year development of a tuner for the AR15 platform. The quite substantial knowledge gained during that development process has been rolled into the earlier benchrest and F-class-focused product family...plus they added a turner and a couple of tuner/brakes for barrels as large as 1.260" at the muzzle. [Note: Their tuners can be used with other manufacturer's brakes and their tuners and tuner/brakes can be used with larger diameter barrels - they'll provide the "How To" info.] See http://www.bostromgunsmithing.com/#Page_Products and also read their "Improved Rifle Accuracy Study" for what's it all about.
6. SIG - was showing the quite frankly incredible Kilo2000 LRF. At about 4' x 3.5 x 1.25" it is very compact and light weight. With bright data display and center target circle, a range of 3400 (3.4K) yards, 7x magnification, and a MAP of $499...maybe Vectronix saw this coming when they killed Terrapin. See http://www.sigoptics.com/product/kilo2000/ [Yes, I know this is not "new". That said, it is worth getting the word out. Bottom line, if I was in the market for an LRF, I'd buy this one in a heartbeat.]
7. Sightron - was showing several new models, the "most" interesting being the 34mm-tube, SV (as in, S five) Series. All models are 10-50x60, Mil or MOA, with or without illumination. They were also showing tripods (a new product area for Sightron). See http://info.sightron.com/ Pics - #1, 2, 3
8. Truvelo (in Phoenix Defense's booth) - the shipment (their "CMS 338") and "handler" finally arrived! VERY long conversation about a bunch of possible future opportunities. Access to components remain a possible, dialog fully initiated. While there are plenty of data on the Truvelo site (http://truvelo.co.za/armoury/cms-338-lapua), and the this rifle is not "new", it was photographed a bunch. Brain fade, I did not pull and photograph the bolt (see Day 4). BTW, Phoenix Defense is located in LV (Las Vegas), not AZ. Pics - #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
9. Versa-Pod - was showing their USA-made, "350 Series" bipods...with handles (in place of thumb-chewing, grooved screws)! Always a very feature-rich and functional bipod, IMO the handles are a huge improvement. Shipping in early Spring. They expect to move to handles across all their lines (over time). Pics (side-by-side, "old" style, on left) - #1, 2
10. Zeiss - was showing the new Victory V8 line, including the 4.8-35x60. See http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us/hunting/riflescopes/victory-riflescopes.html
11. NN (without comment) - AAC, Bell & Carlson, Bushmaster, CZ-USA, Forster, Gunwerks, Hensoldt, Hodgdon, Magpul, H-S Precision, Nikon, Oehler (the System 88 was introduced last SHOT and available since), Remington, Steiner, Swarovski, Trijicon.
2016 SHOT Show: Day 2 (Jan 20 2016):
1. Brugger & Thomet (Switzerland) - NN [was showing their (not new but worth pics) "APR338", .338 LM, sniper rifle. They have resellers in the US. See https://www.bt-ag.ch/shop/eng/bt-apr/bt-apr338-bt-sniper-rifle-apr338-cal-338-lm] Pics - #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
2. Christensen Arms - was showing its new, lower-priced, "ELR" model rifle (lower priced than the current "Ultra ELR" model). The 338 LM model is expected to ship in late March-April.
3. "Guns & Gold 2" - showed a rather innovative product but actually a fairly old design, out of production since the '90s, the now-old "Liberty Arms" shell-holder action, bull-pup rifle in .50 BMG. [I spoke at length with the rifle designer, Wayne Barbuto, who is currently acting as a consultant to the company.] Quite regrettable they do not yet have a website but I took several pics and a lot of notes. So... some of the details. Its currently implemented with the .50 BMG Barrett chamber, 26" Krieger barrel, their own-design, 80-MOA, adjustable scope base (looks somewhat similar to the Cold Shot “MOAB"), own-design, HD brake, Fairly spacey looking and the bolt comes into battery with a really sweat "click". That sound alone is going to sell rifles. The brake (which might become available separately) is of a slab design, has a large rear through-hole (90 degrees) and a pair of somewhat smaller ports at 45 degrees to the rear placed in front of the through hole. The different port angles generate turbulence which dramatically dampens the otherwise very substantial side blast. It's also very effective at dampening recoil and is much smaller and lighter than the AR-50 brake. These will be built on state-of-the-art Mazak machining centers in the Salt Lake City area, Estimated retail is somewhere around $2800 including the adjustable scope mount and the brake. BTW, the action is only about 4 (four) inches long and the bolt is three-lobe. Also, the company is very flexible, so lots of variations and some separately-available components might become available. Pics - #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
4. Innovative Arms - This is a company I was not aware of prior to this show. They were showing, among other products, their 338 LM-class "Kryptic" and .50 BMG-class "Mojave" suppressors. These were "new" to me, include here accordingly. See info at http://innovativearms.com/silencers/
5. Mason Target Systems - another new player in the very long range (2 miles +, min) remote target viewing solutions market. The system includes a "target", a AR-500, mobile (as in on-wheels) frame, and a software package to display on smart phones and tablets. There are 4 sensors on the back side of the target (one in each corner) to provide shot image position data as a visual display as if shooting on a multi-concentric-circle paper target. The initial version uses an 18" square target and has an MSRP of $2500. The next iteration is expected to have an approximate 30" square target. BTW, their wireless tech is not WiFi. A possible step beyond IRIS when URSA shooters get proficient enough to be concerned with hit location on the target, not just a hit on the target (at and beyond 2000 yards). Their website is https://www.masontargetsystems.com/
6. McRee Precision - was showing a "slider" (a large, aluminum bag rider as a bolt-on extension) for the front of their M50 chassis. They will also offer a rear "slider" for that chassis. Expected to be available in Feb. Pics - #1, 2
7. Phoenix Defense (importer and distributor) - was showing the DRD Tactical "Kivaari" 338 LM, semi-auto, sniper rifle. They also had copies of the Vol 20, No 1 issue of "Small Ams Review/SAR" which includes a very extensive article on this rifle. This is one of the sniper rifles Phoenix Defense is offering. They are also going to be importing and offering the full line of Truvelo (South Africa) sniper rifles. [They have been waiting for the last two days for one of the Truvelo models to clear customs and ship to the show. Hopefully in the booth on Thursday.] They hope to be offering the Truvelo rifle line by Spring...AND, possibly the special-order availability of rifle components - which include the rifle actions Truvelo uses in rifles chambered in 12.7x99 (NATO), 14.5x114 Russian, 20x82, and 20x110. Pics (of DRT Tactical’s “Kivaari”) - #1, 2, 3, 4
8. Schmidt & Bender (continuation from Day 1, my oversight) - was also showing several new, actual-production scope models. I "skipped" (actually had brain fade on) them because all the info was already on their website last weekend - and, quite frankly, I was really focused on the Digital models. See http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/new-products.html
9. Sierra 7 - was showing their new bipods for Accuracy International AT and AX rifles and AICS chassis systems. No pics (I saw them in the "no-pics" New Products Showcase and they don't yet have these new models on their website).
10. Sniper Extreme (UK) - was showing their .50 BMG ammo, including the "12.7x99 EBB" (Enhanced Barrier Bullet, CNC-turned monolithic solid). This ammo will be manufactured in the US by Lehigh Defense. See http://www.sniperextreme.com/assets/edge_50_solid_ebb.pdf Interestingly, their UK test facilities include a 3000m range.
11. Southern Ballistic Research (SBR-USA) - was showing their new .50 BMG match ammo with 660 gr solid brass projectiles.
12. "The AK Guy" (Brandon Herrera) - was present and previewing his in-development, "AK-50" rifle, an AK platform, functional design, implemented from scratch, in .50 BMG. [Beyond being a product it is also intended to show that the AK platform can be very accurate and that it has legs even up to .50 BMG.] See http://www.theakguy.com/#!ak-50/c18bc. Note: The muzzle brake shown at SHOT was massively larger than the one shown on their website. Pic - #1
13. NN (without comment) - Kowa and March Optics
2016 SHOT Show: Day 1 (Jan 19 2016):
Did something a bit different this year. I went to specific booths throughout the show that I had particular interest in. I normally do wall-to-wall, one hall at a time. I only talk to folks about ELR and ELR-related, so typically no info on other products. "NN" denotes "nothing new" - so you can see the booths I visited but found nothing that had not already turned up in one of my weekly News recaps. So here goes, in alpha order.
1. Barrett - the only new "hardware" was the addition of a .338 caliber suppressor (plus others, smaller). Very "conventional" looking, not like their current .50 cal model.
2. Berger - NN [Still no hard commitment of when they will launch a .375 caliber Hybrid OTM.]
3. CheyTac - was showing the prototype of the Jim Erwin "Kraken" signature 375 CT rifle with Proof carbon-wrapped barrel. 13# with optics! Pics - #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
4. Cutting Edge - NN [Dan, the Pres, Smitchko was kind enough explain why their tipped, LAZER projectile line has lower BCs than their MTAC and MTH lines - the culprits are the large nose cavity and the lighter weight and different weight distribution from the tips. Software simulations did not tell them that, only live-fire testing/real-world measurement.]
5. Defiance - NN [The control feed/CF action they showed last year, but is still not on their website, is in production...but no 338 LM-class versions. Mausingfield currently owns this space, virtually uncontested, save for the possibility of using up the few remains parts for McMillan to build their now-discontinued, CF, G30 action.]
6. Drake Associates - beyond showing a very reasonably priced, Savage-SKU'd, rifle in 338 LM, they announced and are showing implementations of their patent-pending "TiTAN Barrel System", a Titanium overlay on a stainless steel core barrel that is claimed to be as much as 45% lighter than typical SS barrels. The samples in their booth were very impressive! They advised that they are going into the barrel business with this tech, possibly including selling blanks. This could be very big. Flyer
7. Elite Iron - is showing a version of their Revolution bipod with horizontal panning. Current Revolutions upgradability is TBD (this per Dale Poling on 1 Feb 2016). Availability - Summer. Pics - #1, 2, 3
8. Haenel (Germany) - never heard of these guys, right? I suspect AI (Accuracy International) wishes the German Government hadn't either. In a major competition for the German Army (late '15), Haenel's G29 (mil-speak for their RS9 338 LM, commercially-available, sniper rifle) came in first and won that contract. An interesting note, the Haenel G29 fired 4000 (4K) rounds without losing more than 10 m/sec muzzle velocity from first to 4000th round AND without losing spec accuracy! They build virtually everything themselves in their own facilities, including actions and barrels. Caracal (UAE) will be their US-importer. Timing (availability), TBD based on SHOW Show response. Seriously dynamite product! [Eurooptic, jump on this. Please!] Final note, Caracal has their own "competing" .338 LM sniper rifle (the CS338)...which was not on display. Pics - #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
9. Hornady - NN [need different equipment to move to .375 - .408-sized projectiles (their newer designs)...but "on the radar".]
10. IWI (Israel) - NN [they confirmed they have a couple of their DAN sniper rifles in the US but nothing firm on when a commercial offering will appear.]
11. Kahles - has adopted a dedicated, left-side windage turret; added the SKMR 3 mil reticle for their K624i model. Info just added to their site - http://www.kahles.at/fileadmin/kahles/Downloads/pdf_int/KAHLES_USACatalog_2016.pdf
12. Leupold - added a Horus TReMoR3 reticle option for some of their Mark 6 and Mark 8 scopes. Has also gotten into training business with their own 2200m-capable facility and "PSR-1" class which will accommodate shooting to that distance. The new effort is called the "Leupold Optics Academy." NOTE: when I just went to see whether there was a "Leupold Opics Academy" web page on the Leupold main site (there isn't one), I found that I had been misled by their booth staff...and there are more 2016 products. See https://www.leupold.com/new-products/
13. Manners/MCS - is showing their new "competition" mini-chassis (adds an integrated extension to the front of their current mini-chassis, used to support attachment of a tripod or barricade).
14. McMillan Firearms/Surgeon - the McMillan TAC 50 and the Surgeon Remedy now have Cadex-chassis options. Pics (McMillan) - #1, 2, 3
15. NECO - as usual, they had updates to QuickLOAD and QuickTARGET. labeled "JAN 2016", QL includes the recently announced Hornady ELD projectiles.
16. Oehler - NN [System 88 - for BC development work - still not on their site.] Pic of layout so folks can at least see what is actually shipping to get excellent BC data. Pic.
17. Pacific Tool & Gauge/PTG (Dave Kiff) - first product tech side. PTG has developed a new reamer design they refer to as "multi-helix". As point of reference, Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc./LRI had me specify this tech for a reamer I'm having PTG build for me (and which LRI will be using to chamber a couple of barrels for me - to use with my end-of-March, single-shot, Mausingfield action). Suffice to say, Chad is VERY high on this tech. Per Dave Kiff, it takes the useful life of a reamer (before regrind) from 300-350 chamberings to 5K (5000) chamberings. Beyond the multi-helix "configuration, these reamers are carbide with a PTG-developed, very special coating called "Inferno". I did not try to get Dave to parse down the productivity improvement attributable to each of the individual "pieces" (multi-helix, carbide, and the Inferno). OK, now to rifle hardware - PTG was showing their own design actions in the show (4-5 models), small stuff by my reckoning. These actions are NEW and NOT blueprinted Rem 700s! And...come Summer (2016) they will be adding .338 LM-sized AND CheyTac-sized actions. Mr. Stiller is about to lose his current CT action monopoly. [Ask your current CT action supplier before you question the "monopoly" quip.] Pics (of a multi-helix reamer) - #1, 2
18. Schmidt & Bender - their "Digital" line was on display (2 models)...and they are actively working with Vectronix to pair their products via Bluetooth. Their "Digital" vision (capture of LRF and environmental data and displaying it in the view through their scopes) is "open platform", supposedly available to all those that want to marry up with their implementation...and are willing to meet their functional and quality expectations. They feel this is a more doable and less expensive approach to getting that info to the shooter, in the scope rather than integrating an LRF and/or “Kestrel”. Availability...2016? Pics - #1, 2, 3, 4, 5
19. Serbu - showing a VERY innovative rifle, the RN-50. A collaborative design between Serbu and "YouTube celeb Royal Nonesuch" (the RN in the model name), this is a "modified break-action design with screw-on breech cap" in .50 BMG, exposed hammer and all. Intro price is $875 for a complete rifle less AR-style buttstock and bipod (as displayed). ALSO willing to sell it sans barrel for barreling (through your choice of 3rd party) in your choice of cartridges based on the .50 BMG. Pic - #1, video
20. Sierra - NN [a tipped version in .375...2017?]
21. Steyr - NN [the HS 460, while not "discontinued", is not on their website (or in their latest catalog), is "not active", and is "not in production." Really hard to build interest for a rifle that never had commercially-available ammo.]
22. Velocity Tactics - while they still have yet to post (website) info on their SHOT-Show-2015-released solid-copper projectiles, they are already into even sleeker designs (in copper) with a G1 BC of 1.10 for the .338 caliber (availability, 3-4 weeks). And...they were showing a 247 gr, .338 caliber, brass projectile with a G1 BC of 1.61 (one-point-six-one). Availability, longer than 3-4 weeks. Their .375s are "this year"...and they are thinking .50 cal beyond 2016. Pics - #1, 2
23. NN (without comment) - American Rifle Company, Armalite, and Lapua.
Site Update (Jan 17 2016):
Additions and updates since Jan 10 2016
Rifles - Desert Tech (great looking site update including a nice “rifle builder”, and pricing, app)
Rifle Components - Ashbury Precision/APO (has launch the “Ashbury Web Portal” which includes specs for their actions); Rangemaster Precision Arms/RPA (UK, has entered the barrel manufacturing business); Schmidt & Bender (tech data on the upcoming “PM II High Power Digital” line - “world's first solution for projecting data from external devices into a scope's field of view”, “currently only a demonstration of the technology”, 3-37x56 and 5-25x56 listed on site; AccurateShooter also has a brief article on the upcoming PM II High Power 5-45x56 model - nothing yet on their website)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Desert Tech (minor changes in ammo specs/performance)
Misc - Ballistic (announced Bluetooth integration with Kestrel meters); Caldwell (enters target camera system business); Wheeler (Digital Fat Wrench added)
Admin - completed link check, please e-mail me (webmaster at elr-resources.com) if you find any issues. Thanks!
Site Update (Jan 10 2016):
Additions and updates since Jan 3 2016
Rifle Components - CustomMuzzleBrakes.com (ah...muzzle brakes); Sierra 7/S7 (now offering AI-specific models); Stocky’s (stocks)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Hornady (450 gr, .416, BTHP projectile)
Misc - Newcon Optik (released the “Spotter LRF Pro” spotting scope with 3000m-capable LRF); Vortex (“Ranger 1500” rangefinder added, 1500 yard max, 2016 Hunter catalog)
Cartridges - “.338 TP” (removed, no longer offered by TrackingPoint)
Admin - continued link checks through Cartridges; Training page - removed several listings, unable to find specific courses listed on their sites - having distance capability noted but no courses offered that use that distance equals removed; know better AND can speak for the owners/operators? please contact me at webmaster at elr-resources.com. Thanks!
Site Update (Jan 3 2016):
Additions and updates since Dec 27 2015
Rifles - Shoot Long.com (custom builds); Steyr (added “SSG Carbon” model in 338 LM); Surgeon (added “Precision Sniper Rifle/SPR” in 338LM with AI AX chassis); Venom Tactical (added Copperhead II and Mamba models, both available in 338 LM)
Rifle Components - Barnard (sole US action distributorship moved to Whidden Gunworks); Huber (muzzle brakes - .338, .375, and .50 cal); Precision Arms (muzzle brakes - 338 LM); Terminator Products (added more muzzle brakes - T6, largest yet, and TE, a TRG/Blaser/Tikka replacement)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Hornady (338 LM ammo with the new 285 gr ELD projectile - on Graf’s site, not Hornady’s); Monolithic (added 416 Barrett ammo); PNW (added 338 LM ammo); Tactial Ammo (added 338 LM ammo)
Reloading - TARGETMASTER (high end powder trickler system - slick)
Admin - started link checking, some sites dropped (gone), as of now checked Products thru Reloading Eq; visitors are requested to e-mail me when bad links are found - webmaster at elr-resources.com
Site Update (Dec 27 2015):
Additions and updates since Dec 20 2015
Rifles - Steel Core Design (SC-127 Cyclone replaced by “HSR Cyclone”; “MSR Cyclone” added, 338 LM; new site requires registration); STL Rifles (added an English language site)
Reloading Equipment - Annealing Made Perfect (induction annealer)
Site Update (Dec 20 2015):
Additions and updates since Dec 13 2015
Rifle Components - Raven Arms (Russia, carbon fiber stocks)
Training - Altair Training Solutions (FL, open shoots for civilians being scheduled out to 2 miles); Blue Steel Ranch (NM, out to 1760 yards)
Site Update (Dec 13 2015):
Additions and updates since Dec 6 2015
Rifles - Barrett (MRAD barrel conversion kit available in 338 NM); Cadex (2016 catalog - info on the CDX-50/”Tremor”, .50 BMG model, and CDX-40/”Shadow”, .408 CT model); Caracal (UAE; CS338 bolt action repeater in 338 LM, very slow twist, 1:12; US branch office but, as of yet, no apparent resellers); Templar Tactical (added back, site returned)
Rifle Components - AG Composites (“CAT 700” full carbon fiber stock for Rem 700 ADL/BDL LA); KRG (Kinetic Research) announced the 5th generation of their Whiskey-3 Chassis
Site Update (Dec 6 2015):
Additions and updates since Nov 29 2015
Rifles - Allen Precision (some site updating and price updating; includes some “available” cartridges for rifle builds but no associated specs - for “.338 Ultra Maxx”, “.410 Allen Magnum”, “458 Allen Magnum”, and “.50 Allen Tactical”; lists BAT M, 1.55 OD w/ 3.350 port length, as the action for the Xtreme Heavy Sporter single-shot models but BAT does not list a CT bolt face for that action - s/b Model CT, 1.55 OD w/ 3.350 port length, or Model L, 2.0 OD w/ 3.800 port length?); Hill Country Rifles (4210 yard hit on 36” steel with 375 CT build - short (27”), skiny (.750 muzzle) Benchmark barrel, light (15# with scope); 250 total MOA scope setup; NO projectile info :(
Ammo & Ammo Components - Hornady (their 2016 “new product” catalog is showing .338 LM Match ammo using the recently-announced, 285 gr, ELD Match projectile, shows very minor ballistic improvement at 400 and 500 yards); IMI (.338 LM ammo with 250 gr projectile); and PRIME Ammo (.338 LM with 300 gr projectile)
Site Update (Nov 29 2015):
Additions and updates since Nov 22 2015
Rifle Components - McMillan Fiberglass Stocks (is now offering hydro dipping - I received an announcement but can find nothing on their website, call)
Info/Pubs - The Rifleman’s Journal (removed, site gone)
Site Update (Nov 22 2015):
Additions and updates since Nov 15 2015
Rifles - Templar Tactical Firearms (removed, site gone)
Rifle Components - SIG Electro-Optics (Tango series scope incl Tango6 5-30x56, 34mm tube, 80 MOA elevation)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Prograde (removed, site gone)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - SIG Electro-Optics (KILO2000 laser range finder, max distance of 3400 yards, ERP: $499.99)
Misc/Spotting Scopes _ SIG Electro-Optics
Site Update (Nov 15 2015):
Additions and updates since Nov 8 2015
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Kestrel (announced the 5000 series of weather meters including the now top-of-the-line Elite Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics)
Site Update (Nov 8 2015):
Additions and updates since Nov 1 2015
Rifles - Cheytac (has added a “newsletter” - in the first issue they announced a new CEO and that John Taylor (“the” John Taylor) is now Chief of the CheyTac® Technical Advisory Board); Weatherby (announced the Mark V Tacmark and Mark V Tacmark Elite rifles, both available in .338-.378 Weatherby and .338 LM)
Rifle Components - ionbond (Diamond Like Coating/DLC for actions and the exterior of barrels - can be applied over a nitrided surface; also the only recommended small volume applicator in the US, Club Custom Guns)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Desert Tech (added TACSOL Trajectory Solutions App for Apple and Android)
Pubs/Articles - Ackley (Improved) Info Sheet (from Pacific Tool & Gauge/PTG)
Site Update (Nov 1 2015):
Additions and updates since Oct 25 2015
Ammo & Ammo Components - Hornady (announced the addition of 285 gr, .338 , match projectiles with “Heat Shield” tips, see here; this is a 2016 product and apparently NOT a replacement for the 285 gr A-MAX)
Reloading Equipment - Hornady (announced the “Iron Press” for standard 7/8-14 dies, see here; this is a also a 2016 product)
Site Update (Oct 25 2015):
Additions and updates since Oct 18 2015
Rifles - Aztec Arms (removed, site gone); TrackingPoint (added back...provisionally)
Rifle Components - Barnard (added 40, 50, and 60 MOA scope rails for their actions)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Alliance Armament (removed, site gone); Berger (announced updated BC data (G7) and added “Optimal Twist” to their Quick Reference Sheet - see here, ignore the asterisks)
Info/Pubs - Applied Ballistics (announced two revised texts, Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting, 3rd Edition and Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets, 2nd Edition - the second adding projectile data for .416 and .50 caliber, a listing of which is available here)
Site Update (Oct 18 2015):
Additions and updates since Oct 11 2015
Rifle Components - Accu-Tac (bipods), Delta Optical (Poland, scopes), Kahntrol Solutions (muzzle brakes)
Site Update (Oct 11 2015):
Additions and updates since Oct 4 2015
Rifles - Albert Arms (Germany); Fuchs Fine Guns (Austria, for the seriously well healed); Haenel (Germany); Unique Alpine (Germany)
Retailers/E-tailers - Benchrite
Info/Forums - Biggerhammer (adopted “modern site”, plus link to archives)
Site Update (Oct 4 2015):
Additions and updates since Sep 27 2015
Rifle Components - Modular Evolution (bipods - nice design with QD legs)
Site Update (Sep 27 2015):
Additions and updates since Sep 20 2015
Rifle Components - MPA (introduced the BA SF chassis, a folder; great photo set)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Cutting Edge (introduced the .509/.499 802grMTAC undersize .50 cal projectile)
Misc/Other Misc - Bob Sled (Bob Hahin’s DBM insert to shoot single shot from a repeater; for .338 LM standard and CIP length AI mag rifles)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Nikon (introduced the PROSTAFF 7i LRF, max 1300 yards)
Training - Cross Canyon Arms (CCA) Long-Range Shooting School (SD, to 1200 yards)
Pubs/Articles - PRB has a great, detailed, hands-on review of the Remington MSR
Site Update (Sep 20 2015):
Additions and updates since Sep 13 2015
Ranges - Austin Gun Club (TX); Bismark-Mandan Rifle & Pistol Assoc (ND); CCC Shooting Complex (TX); Ryegate Gun Club (MT); and Three Mile Creek Shooting Sports Complex (UT)
Training - Asymmetric Solutions (MO, to 2000m); SIG Sauer Academy (NH)
Site Update (Sep 13 2015):
Additions and updates since Sep 6 2015
Rifle Components - Quicksilver (removed, site gone); X-Caliber Barrels & Mfg (barrels)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Leica (just introduced the Geovid 8x56 HD-B/-R(typ 500) binoculars with rangefinder - to 2000 yards)
Ranges - CORE Shooting Solutions/Center (FL - was K&M, 1100 yards, max); Mohave Sportsman Club (AZ); Nice Shot Shooting Range (IL, 1500 yards+, max); Parma Rod & Gun Club (ID, 1760 yards, max); Pawnee Sportsmens Center (CO)
Training - BangSteel.com (VA, 1 mile, max)
Site Update (Sep 6 2015):
Additions and updates since Aug 30 2015
Reloading Equipment - RCE (added, “also What Cheer hydraulic press, call”)
Site Update (Aug 30 2015):
Additions and updates since Aug 23 2015
Rifle Components - RLFCO/Fisher (removed; Mr. Fisher died a couple of years ago and it appears the company is no longer a going concern and the Fisher action and muzzle brake are no longer in production)
Info/Photos - .50 BMG and .50 cal variants (#5 in group)
Site Update (Aug 23 2015):
Additions and updates since Aug 16 2015
Rifles - Barrett (added link to their 2015 product brochure)
Rifle Components - USO (added link to their 2015 product catalog)
Misc/Ranging and Target Solution Aids - Knight’s Armament (anti-cant device)
Gunsmiths - LPR Gunsmithing (NH)
Retailers/E-tailers - Grabagun.com
Site Update (Aug 16 2015):
Additions and updates since Aug 9 2015
Rifles - Lobaev Arms (RU, the folks that recently published video of shooting out to 3400m/3720 yards - 338 LM and 408 CT)
Rifle Components - American Rifle Company (added an action wrench for their Mausingfield action)
Reailers/E-tailers - Mounting Solutions Plus/MSP
Cartridges - 9.5x70 ELR/9.5x70 Tornado (a variation of the 338 LM in .375 caliber); Viersco (VM long neck/VM2 dims link added; with the closure of the rifles and cartridges side of the Black Diamond/Viersco site I’ve substituted links from AECC)
Info Sites - Association of Spanish Cartridge Collectors/AECC (an extensive collection of data on cartridges worldwide, including several US ELR wildcats; select the caliber range you want from the “Fuego Central/CF” menu item in the upper left of the home page; in Spanish - translator)
Admin - periodic link check complete, several sites gone and dead links deleted; if you had a link and it is now gone, please advise current URL and I will add back.
Site Update (Aug 9 2015):
Additions and updates since Aug 2 2015
Rifle Components - American Rifle Company/ARC (has added an action wrench for their Mausingfield action)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Black Diamond/Viersco (deleted them as a source for SnipeTac and VM brass - changing business model, suggest calling to find alternates); CMA Custom Ammo (added 750 gr, .50 cal “List Bonded Super Match” projectiles); Dugga Boy Bullets (removed - gone); McMillan (removed Extreme Velocity ammo offerings - gone); Monolithic (removed the 200 gr 338 LM ammo offering - gone); Styria Arms (Austria, added their 338, 375, 408, 416, and 50 cal copper solid projectiles to the Bullets/Projectiles matrix - no current US distribution but they are willing to export to the US); Tactical Ammunition (removed the 338 LM ammo offerings - gone); Velocity Tactics (projectiles - not yet on their site, call or e-mail)
Misc/Targets - Target Vision (removed the “Portable Remote Target Changer” - gone from their site but they intend to add it back when time permits to produce more)
Gunsmiths - Area 419 (removed - site gone); Clark Fay (removed - site gone)
Pubs, Articles... - “ELR Target CAM w/DVR” (a very detailed How-To article including build bill of materials)
Site Update (Aug 2 2015):
Additions and updates since Jul 26 2015
Rifles - PMAC Precision (custom builds); Watson Firearms (removed, no longer show firearms)
Rifle Components - Aztec (removed muzzle brake listing, no longer an identifiable product); BAT Machine (removed muzzle brakes, no longer available); Defiance (removed DBMs - no longer producing for 338 LM); Flavio Fare (Italy, triggers); McCann (removed scope mounts line, rights sold to VLTOR in 2014 but no such product shown on their site); McMillan (G30 action replaced by G31 but the G31 is only available in full rifle builds - removed); My Guns Northwest (removed Pic rails listing - not built to Pic spec); Pacific Tool & Gauge/PTG (removed DBMs - no longer lists for 338 LM); Receiver Matrix (added dims for RPA GBMF and Barnard GP actions); Tier-One/Third Eye Tactical (UK, added muzzle brakes and suppressors); Xtreme Hard Core (muzzle brakes)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Cutting Edge/CEB (added 395 and 420 gr .408s to their MTAC line); Peregrine (South Africa, projectiles - including their RangeMaster line of copper solids in .338, .408, and .50 cal); Projectiles Matrix (in the process of updating links noted that Cutting Edge/CEB is not including G7 data derived using Oehler 43 acoustic chrono for some of their Lazer, MTAC, and MTH line items); Warner Tool (copper solid projectiles)
Reloading Equipment - Black Diamond/Viersco (custom dies, incl .416-Barrett-from-.50-BMG forming dies)
Training - Pump Precision Rifle Training (TX)
Info/Info Sites - Precision Rifle Podcasts
Site Update (Jul 26 2015):
Additions and updates since Jul 19 2015
Rifles - H-S Precision (added PHR, STR, TTD, and VAR models in 338 LM and 338/378 Weatherby and removed the SPR and VTD, gone from the site); Xtreme Machining (removed, no ELR offerings)
Rifle Components - updated Receiver matrix (added Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply/ATRS’s Maverick, American Rifle Company/ARC’s Mausingfield, Ashbury Precision Ordnance/APO’s SABER EX and VX, Defiance’s Deviant Tactical and Deviant Ultralight, Kelbly’s .338 LM Panda, Prechtl’s GS04 ML, and R Bros’ Rogue); Noreen/Only Long Range (removed action listing, no longer selling actions stand alone)
Site Update (Jul 19 2015):
Additions and updates since Jul 12 2015
Rifles - Concern Kalashnikov (Record 338), Sawtooth Rifles (custom builds)
Site Update (Jul 12 2015):
Additions and updates since Jul 5 2015
Rifles - Mauser (removed, no longer showing at least a .338 LM model); McMillan (removed older, no-longer-listed models); Newman Precision (removed, site gone); PGM (added “Mini Hecate 2” in .338 LM; removed Drake as distributor, they are now looking for US distribution); Primary Weapons Systems/PWS (removed, no longer showing at least a .338 LM offering); SIG (removed, discontinued Tactical 2 and SIG 50 models)
Rifle Components - Cadex (added their trigger line); Masterpiece Arms/MPA (added their chassis line); MAK Enterprises (removed, site gone)
Site Update (Jul 5 2015):
Additions and updates since Jun 28 2015
Rifles - Black Diamond/Viersco (removed, not taking new rifle orders), Coleman Rifles (removed, site suspended since 12/14), Hawk Hill Customs (removed, no longer showing rifles/rifle builds)
Rifle Components - Joe West Rifle Stocks (UK, stocks)
Ammo & Ammo Components - ADI (Australia, powder), Southwest Ammunition (removed, no 338 LM ammo listed for months); Ted Nugent (removed, site parked for over a month)
Gunsmiths - Crescent Customs (MO)
Site Update (Jun 28 2015):
Additions and updates since Jun 21 2015
Rifle Components - Kelbly (finally has a product page for the .338 LM Panda action); UTG/Leapers (added Heavy Duty Recon 360 bipod; $80, see video)
Reloading Equipment - Viersco/Dave Viers (custom dies)
Gunsmiths - 700BARRELS.COM (CA)
Site Update (Jun 21 2015):
Additions and updates since Jun 14 2015
Rifle Components - Dolphin Rifle Company/UK (chassis); Extreme Pod (bipod from Extreme Store)
Retailers/E-tailers - Case Club (case reseller that specializes in custom foam inserts)
Site Update (Jun 14 2015):
Additions and updates since Jun 7 2015
Rifles - Barnard (added Barnard-Dolphin GP Rifle in .50 BMG)
Rifle Components - Defiance (added the Deviant Ultralight action), Ivey (RTM50 MILDOT ring set with up to 50 mil radians of elevation, large image - apparently replaces prior product which is no longer listed); Precision Stock Works (removed, site gone)
Misc/Rifle Cases - Foam Factory (excellent prices on replacement foam)
Misc/Spotting Scope - Leupold (introduced new Golden Ring model with MOA grid, nothing yet on their website)
Retailer/E-tailers - CDNN Sports
Site Update (Jun 7 2015):
Additions and updates since May 31 2015
Ammo & Ammo Components - Barnes (added a line of “Precision Match” ammo incl 338 LM, very limited info, no ballistics); Fiocchi (Perfecta Sniper line, incl 338 LM and 50 BMG); Sellier & Bellot (Target/Match line, incl 338 LM)
Reloading/Aids - Dr. Mom/R. A. Bock Diagnostics (replaced Flexbar model otoscope with this product; superior quality, less expensive)
Misc/Rifle Cases & Associated - removed Proxxon foam cutter (poor tool for large-rifle-case-size foam)
Site Update (May 31 2015):
Additions and updates since May 24 2015
Rifle Components - EGW (scope bases and rings); March (new exclusive US distributor)
Misc/Material Suppliers - Fry Steel (less than half the price on aluminum, reasonable shipping charges, no min order qty, end-user friendly, 800#, SoCal will call, price them before you buy elsewhere)
Site Update (May 24 2015):
Additions and updates since May 17 2015
Rifles - TrackingPoint (removed - ceased taking orders, financial difficulties)
Rifle Components - Benchmark Barrels (announced that they are now offering carbon wrapped barrels - see http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3874074.new#new)
Misc/Target Impact Viewing Systems - Target Sight (removed, site gone)
Site Update (May 17 2015):
Additions and updates since May 10 2015
No additions or updates this week.
Site Update (May 10 2015):
Additions and updates since May 3 2015
Rifle Components - KFS/TACMOD (chassis info final published)
Site Update (May 3 2015):
Additions and updates since Apr 26 2015
Rifles - Valley Ordnance Works (XF-50 .50 BMG, single shot, left hand option)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Southwest Ammo (removed MV/ME data on 338 LM with 300 gr Lapua scenar - data highly suspect, no response to multiple requests to correct or advise)
Reloading Equipment - DSK Armoury (50 BMG decapping die); Guntap (SS tumbling media)
Misc - Drierite (compartment desiccator - for safes); McMaster-Carr (fasteners + tons of other hardware and tools - if you have not been to their website you have missed a tremendous resource)
Training - Center Shot Training (added max distance for students, 3000 yards)
Site Update (Apr 26 2015):
Additions and updates since Apr 19 2015
Rifle Components - Accu-Tac (bipods); Cadex (muzzle brake); Trigger Tech (triggers)
Ammo & Ammo Components - CMA Custom Ammo (.50 cal projectiles with custom, variable weights)
Misc - Cut2SizeMetals (materials supplier)
Gunsmiths - Anthony’s Precision Rifles (CA)
Training - removed Legion (advised me by e-mail that, “Right now we are not offering the facility up for civilians to use the ranges.”)
Site Update (Apr 19 2015):
Additions and updates since Apr 12 2015
Ammo & Ammo Components - CheyTac (removed brass offerings, no longer on their site); GSR Precision (Canada, .50 cal turned projectiles)
Misc/Rifle Cases - Plasticase (Canada)
Gunsmiths - Tier One Defense/T1D (NJ)
Training - Center Shot Training/Will Ross (CO, added back, semi-WIP site)
Site Update (Apr 12 2015):
Additions and updates since Apr 5 2015
Rifles - Collier Rifles (removed, not currently offering ELR cartridge builds); MG Arms (Banshee in 338 LM and Behemoth in 50 BMG - Behemoth link is an Ammoland announcement, no product page yet on company site)
Rifle Components - CheyTac (bipod)
Misc/Targets - ShootSteel.com (incl .50 BMG)
Site Update (Apr 5 2015):
Additions and updates since Mar 29 2015
Ammo & Ammo Components - Captech/Jamison (added link for ”.505 Gibbs Basic” for use in forming and fire forming for CT-based cartridges)
Articles - “7 Ways the New ARC Rifle Action Blends the Best of Old & New” (Precision Rifle Blog)
Site Update (Mar 29 2015):
Additions and updates since Mar 22 2015
Rifle Components - Miracle Machine Works/scope bases (removed, site gone)
Reloading Equipment/Aids - JBM has graciously extended their Trajectory Calculators “Maximum Range” to 4000 yards to help those that were frustrated by the prior 3000 yard “limit”
Training - Gunsite Academy/AZ (removed, max cartridge is .300 Win Mag)
Cartridges - Cartridges Matrix updated for JBM-calculated results now that 4000 yards max range is possible (only the >.375 page is impacted and only slightly)
Interim Update (Mar 24 2015):
Cartridges - updated Cartridges matrix to add “possible” “supersonic to (Yds)” values using current higher BC projectile offerings (Berger Hybrid OTM for .338 and Predator/Dynamic Research for .375 and larger). See notes on each page.
Site Update (Mar 22 2015):
Additions and updates since Mar 15 2015
Rifles - CheyTac (XLD/”Xtreme Long Distance” rifle introduced); Keppeler/Germany (2015 catalog)
Rifle Components - Terminator/NZ (added US reseller link for their muzzle brake line)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Corbon (deleted 338 NM and 375 RUM ammo SKUs, discontinued)
Misc/Targets - GongShot (brackets for gong stands)
Cartridges - updated Cartridges Matrix (see light green highlighting)
Info/Info Sites - Defense Technical Information Center/DTIC (includes archived articles and presentations)
Info/Articles - “20mm AMR - New Use of Unused Ammo” (from DTIC); “Rifle Scopes: First Focal Plane vs.Second Focal Plane” (from PrecisionShooting.com.au)
Site Update (Mar 15 2015):
Additions and updates since Mar 8 2015
Rifles - Noreen/OnlyLongRange (added BN408 page - their new 408 CT semi-auto); Remington (defense products now available to civilians)
Rifle Components - Border Barrels (of the UK - their back); JP Enterprises (also incl “Bennie Cooley Signature Series” muzzle brakes); Pacific Tool & Gauge (now offering own trigger)
Gunsmiths - admin (added “By State, then Alpha Sequence” section below “Alpha Sequence” sort); Young’s Gunsmithing (MT)
Retailer/E-tailer - Selway Armory
Associations - FCSA (“King of 2 Miles” Facebook page now up but they say they won’t shoot at that distance because of camera problems...Nonsense! Almost a year ago I personally demo’d my TargetCam with extended range antennas to 5 MILES; I’ve e-mailed the Match Director accordingly)
Site Update (Mar 8 2015):
Additions and updates since Mar 1 2015
Rifles - Alexander Arms (offering 20% off for a limited time on its 338 LM semi-auto Ulfberht rifle); Blaser (announced 338 LM is coming to their R8 rifle in April, has optional GRS stock); EDM (added a nice take-down view pic of a Windrunner); SAI (of Denmark, CSR-338 repeater in 338 LM)
Rifle Components - Barnard (has posted a nice article, “Helland & Brandt’s ‘Mjolnir’ PLM Rifle Build in 338 Magnum Lapua”); STL (of Germany, announced Rem 700-compatible triggers)
Site Update (Mar 1 2015):
Additions and updates since Feb 22 2015
Rifles - Savage (Model “112 Magnum Target”- single shot w/ a wooden stock model in 338 LM)
Rifle Components - American Rifle Company (Mausingfield action - support s.338 NM; a different action than used in their M2 rifle)
Reloading Equipment/Misc - Inline Fabrication (press risers, roller-handle press arms, etc.; excellent quality, free shipping)
Info Sites - “.50 Cal Headstamps: Manufacturing Marks of WWII”
Site Update (Feb 22 2015):
Additions and updates since Feb 15 2015
Rifles - VOERE (LBW-V Heavy Varmint in 338 LM with progressive/gain twist barrel; also added link to X3 product video - has a nice switch barrel segment)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Styria Arms/Aero (Austria; copper solid projectiles - SOLR and SLD/super low drag lines in .338, .375, .408, .416, and .510 caliber)
Misc/Rifle Cases - Cabela’s
Ranges - Superior Game Ranch/Border States Rifle Club (MI); added “By State, then Alpha Sequence” section below “Alpha Sequence” sort of ranges
Site Update (Feb 15 2015):
Additions and updates since Feb 8 2015
Rifles - Hankins Custom Rifles (custom builds); MasterPiece Arms (“MPA 338BA Bolt Action Rifle” in 338 LM)
Rifle Components - Ashbury Precision Ordnance/APO (“SABER EX” 338 LM-class and “SABER VX” CT-class actions - but insufficient info to add to the receivers matrix; press release)
Ranges - Imperial Valley Rifle & Pistol Assoc (CA), Tehama Shooters Assoc (CA)
Cartridges - added back the .338 Xtreme; added pics of the .338 Yogi and .338 Big Baer (from cartridgecollectors.net)
Pubs/Articles - P.O. Ackley’s Wildcats (article)
Site Update (Feb 8 2015):
Additions and updates since Feb 1 2015
Rifles - OnlyLongRange/Noreen Firearms (BN408 - placeholder added, see SHOT 2015, Day 3; “ULR Extreme” - ULR model using XLR chassis, call)
Rifle Components - GEMTECH (“ARROW”.338 LM suppressor and QD muzzle brake, to ship in Q2)
Ammo & Ammo Components - American Eagle/Federal (.338 LM ammo with 250 gr. JSP - pg 26 in 2015 catalog)
Product Review - nice, detailed review of American Rifle Company’s Mausingfield action on PrecisionRifleBlog (appears to support 338 Norma Magnum cartridge; have requested confirmation)
Site Update (Feb 1 2015):
Additions and updates since Jan 25 2015
Rifles - Rhino Arms (RA-PBA.338)
Rifle Components - David Tubb Accuracy and Precision Gun Parts (triggers, 2-stage); Defiance (has posted a video briefly discussing the new CRF option for its line of bolt action receivers)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Nosler (added 225 gr .338 spitzer, E-Tip projectile)
Misc/Targets - TargetVision (Portable Remote Target Changer, armored)
Ranges - Ridgway Rifle Club (PA)
Cartridges - .338 TP (TrackingPoint proprietary)
Site Update (Jan 25 2015):
Additions and updates since Jan 22 2015
Rifles - Cadex Defence (Patriot CDX-33); DRD Tactical (Kivaari 338, semi-auto 338 LM - Summer availability)
Misc/Spotting Scopes - Trijicon
Training - Trigger Time Training has added a new class, “PROJECT: ELR” - big hardware and 2400 yards +
SHOT Show 2015, Day 3 (Jan 22 2015):
Alexander Arms - pics of their 338 LM semi-auto “Ulfberht” (introduced last year) - 1, 2, 3, 4
Bix & Andy (in the Bullet Central booth - their US distributor/reseller) showed their upcoming 2-stage trigger for Rem 700 layout actions; available this year. Pics - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 [BTW, the action shown carrying the new trigger is what I believe is the next gen of super-highend benchrest actions - beyond incredible! Regrettably for us, in small caliber only.]
Defiance Machine was showing a new Deviant model with "controlled round case feed" - quite a departure from the current Deviant model. It will support 338LM with Remington style mag box or DBM for AI CIP-length mags. Pics - 1, 2, 3, 4
Gunwerks was showing a prototype from their own-design receiver line, which will include a 338 LM-capable model with support for AI CIP-length mags; due this Summer.
IMI (Israel) was showing ammunitions products, including .338 LM and .50 BMG. Other sources advised that both of those cartridges should be being imported by around May, though IMI's info sheet targets the .338 LM (250 gr "Long Range Tactical") for snipers - thus commercial availability is not assured, especially for the .50 BMG.
Ithaca had rifle models in their booth and a product flyer that include, "The Savior" (model) is Ithaca Precision's .338 Lapua. It is exclusively tactical, and not for hunting."
LabRadar - again a booth with product. They said they had recently completed FCC testing (passed) and expect to be shipping in about two months.
Meopta had their new Meopro 80 HD spotting scope on display. It has an integrated 20-60 eyepiece (eliminates two lens, produces brighter and higher quality transmission). See http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/us/meopro-80-hd/meopro-80-hd/ctgSSus.html
Noreen (OnlyLongRange) was showing a possible 2015 model, the BN408, a semi-auto in 408 CT. The design is very different from the current Bad News 338 LM semi-auto and has a quite- unexpectedly-small (read AR-size) brake. Availability seemed quite tentative because of possible foreign government commitments. Pics - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Pacific Tool & Gauge (PTG) was showing their "Pacific Tactical" (Rem 700 footprint) line of branded receivers which will include the B52 (338 LM) model; should be available in about two months. Also showing a PTG trigger (which will be available/optional with the new actions) - a "Karl Kenyon clone" with single-point adjustment from 3.5-6 oz.
Stealth Engineering Group (SEG) was showing the baffle tube for their upcoming .50 BMG suppressor (Ti) -massive! Pic.
THOR Global Defense was showing a new rifle in 338 LM, the TRMA338. It sports a Cadex chassis and is expected to be shipping by April.
T.Z.Case had their very-long-gun-friendly TZM0062 rifle case on display, 62" long (exterior) and of apparent good design and quality. Their website "details" take some time to load - see http://tzcase.com/main/index.php?page=sport.php&stylesheet=sport.php&usertable=sports#
Velocity Tactics, a new player in the solid projectiles marketplace, was showing solid copper .338s in 270 and 275 grs - both for ELR but substantially different in design approach. Availability: approx 4 weeks. No info on their website, hope they add it soon.
Zakłady Mechaniczne Tarnów (ZMT) of Poland had a hunting and sporting version of their bullpup military sniper rifle line on display and noted the possibility of importing the 338 LM and .50 BMG models in that line. See http://zmt.tarnow.pl/pliki/Products%20ZMT%20SA.pdf
SHOT Show 2015, Day 2 (Jan 21 2015):
BCM europearms (Italy) - importation licensing is in process for their full line of rifles (through Italian Firearms Group (IFG) in TX) Pics of one of their 408 CT models - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Black Hills - added 338 LM ammo with the Nosler 250 gr AccuBond projectile; ship in the March/April timeframe
Burris - XTR II 5-25/50 scope (FFP, Mil, illuminated, MSRP:$1249)
Cadex - is entering the rifle business including a 338 LM model (in production now) with a .50 BMG model to follow this year; will utilize a special chassis including Pic rail design that acts as a heat shield; they are building their own designed and manufactured receiver. Pics - 1, 2, 3
Christensen Arms - all bolt rifles are now available with titanium receivers, available now.
Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (FCSA) will be adding some excitement to their 2015 World Championship (Whittington range) - a 2200 yard, open-caliber competition (on steel) with the top five shooters advancing to a 2.1 mile shoot-off; they have booked the range for follow-on competitions in 2016 and 2017; more details to be provided on an upcoming Facebook page
Kahles - has updated their K624i model scope with additional Mil reticles (SKMR1 and 2), their first MOA reticle (MOAK), and improved turrets (with second rotation indicator and refined zero stop); same model name, new part numbers. See http://www.kahles.at/kahles-united-states-of-america-usa/products/k624i/k624i/
KRG - in passing mentioned that the Whiskey 3 chassis can be modified (post-factory) to accept 338 LM CIP-length, AI mags (requires approx .130" elongation)
Leica - ER 5 series added; data are suppose to be on their website but are not as of 1/21 PM
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks - grabbed some pics of their new Super 50 BR stock - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
McMillan Firearms - the TAC-50 now has a Cadex chassis options. Pics - 1, 2, 3, 4
MINOX - added the MD 60 Z and MD 80 Z spotting scopes with 12-40 and 20-60 magnification eyepieces; see http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=11216&L=2; also the MD 88 W spotting scope with angled eyepiece, very limited data in their new products brochure and nothing online (available in Apil); and finally new tactical rifle scopes including the ZP5 5~25x56, see http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=10972&L=2
Spotter LRF - 15-45, integrated LRF MICRO module (905nm wavelength, NATO target to 5,500m), etched mil-dot reticle, available approx March
Oehler - introduced their industrial System 88 Long Range Data model for "verification of BCs over very long ranges" (think very precise MV and very precise time of flight with target at 1000 yards or beyond); uses an acoustic target and wireless comm and requires connection to a Windows notebook PC and a USB connection for data display using their provided proprietary software app. Substantial tech info will be added to their website presently.
SIG - added SRD338Ti titanium suppressor for 338 LM (on display but with a Q2 launch). Pic.
Sightron - 10-50x60 SV (new series) scope, 34mm tube, Mil-hash or MOA reticle, locking turrets, and F.A.S.T. Focus. Pics - 1, 2, 3, 4
Steel Core Designs (UK) - showed the rifle products of the design and engineering talent from what was originally RPA; on display were ELR models from their Thunderbolt and Cyclone lines (including SC-86/338 LM, MSR/338 LM, and HSR/.50 BMG). Pics of the somewhat earlier HSR - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 The current version is much slicker (wall rendering, top model). They are looking for US distribution partners and their products well deserve it.
Steiner - added M5Xi (Military) scope line (http://www.steiner-optics.com/riflescopes/military), 5-25/56 model with Horus H59 reticle on display. Pic.
TrackingPoint - introduced the "Mile Maker" (BA338TP) rifle with custom Cadex chassis, lock range of one mile, and .047 MOA tracking precision using their proprietary .338TP ammo (cartridge design based on the 505 Gibbs, 35° shoulder, and correct head stamp). Pics - 1, 2, 3 Also see http://tracking-point.com/precision-guided-firearms/precision-guided-bolt-action-338-tp. BTW, list price: $49,995
Trijicon - HD Spotting Scope, 20-60x with 82mm objective lens, angled eyepiece, and a very slick case that can stay in place on the scope while still retaining full access to tripod and controls; see https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=Spotting_Scope
SHOT Show 2015, Day 1 (Jan 20 2015):
Accuracy International - confirmed re new site MIAs: AS50 (semi-auto) is gone but "possibly" a version coming back; AW model replaced by AT (which is only available in 308 = gone); AW50 replaced by AX50; and AX338 still available (i.e., you do not have to opt for the multi-caliber model, AXMC)
Ashbury Precision Ordnance (APO):
Misc - they are looking for a .50 BMG action supplier (prior supplier "declined" to fulfill their open orders)
VX action (for CT-based actions):
For rifle builds and for stand-alone sales; rifle builds (375 Super Sport) starting the week of Jan 26th
Order thru their Custom Shop; allocations split between rifle builds and stand-alone sales
APO design manufactured by Stiller's Precision; support Rem 700 footprint triggers but they are working with David Tubb on integrating his T7T double stage
Brugger & Thomet (B&T, Switzerland) - APR338 Sniper System (338 LM) now available to US dealers thru their US operations (B&T USA). Company PDF - http://produkte.bt-ag.ch/pdf/TS-APR338.pdf Pics - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Gemtech - adding a .338 LM-capable suppressor model (the "Arrow"), shipping in Q2
Manners Composite Stocks - added:
MCS-T7 ("more traditional style grip with midsized forend" - similar in appearance to their T3 but with a large butt hook - the largest they offer)
Elite Tactical models in "Moss" and "Swamp" patterns
Elite Hunter EH5/5A ("trimmed down version of the T5/5A... (with) narrow forend and compact butt section; 5A version with the "new lightweight aluminum/titanium adjustable cheek hardware from LRI")
Elite Hunter EH6 ("designed to be our smallest, lightest mountain stock; very compact, rounded bottom, more traditional straight pull but just as straight and stiff as the rest of the lineup.")
Elite Hunter EH7 ("old school safari stock designed for the CZ 550B action; 100% carbon fiber and strong enough to hold up to any big bore")
Elite Hunter EHTA Tikka ("adjustable version" of the current Tikka stock; with the "new lightweight aluminum/titanium adjustable cheek hardware from LRI")
EHF1/EHF1A ("folding versions of the EH1", adjustable and fixed cheek versions)
Primary Weapons System - their MK3 series model in 338 LM has been discontinued.
Rock Creek Barrels - found out that their .375, .408, and .510 barrels have 8R rifling. As previously reported they are again taking direct orders.
Site Update (Jan 18 2015):
Additions and updates since Jan 11 2015
Rifles - Desert Tech (added some owner pics of an HTI in 50 BMG - from Germany; the large brake is a one-off, very-custom in powdered metal); Hill Country Rifles (is back); Mauser (M98 Magnum - while not really an ELR rifle, nice to see they recognized worldwide interest in the 338 LM)
Rifle Components - Desert Tech (SRS QD brake and upcoming Elite Iron exclusive suppressor for .375); Steiner (released T series scopes)
Ammo & Ammo Componets - Lapua (338 LM ammo with new Lock Base (FMJBT) 300 gr projectile; that projectile)
Reloading - Giraud (flameless induction case annealer)
Misc/Other Misc - Lyman (AmmoTracker Chrono - accurate of +/- 0.5%, available in May)
Misc/Targets - Action Target (steel for 50 BMG - uses AR550 plate)
Training - Long Range Germany (removed - currently only able to shoot to 300m, hopes to be at 1000m by EOY)
Legal - ATF (has released the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide 2014)
Site Update (Jan 11 2015):
Additions and updates since Jan 4 2015
Rifles - FMR Unique (France, RS1 Sniper in 338 LM), G.A.C. Riflesn (Italy, Big One, Hurricane, Thunder, and Trident in 338 LM thru 408 CT)
Ammo & Ammo Components - Clearwater Swiss Precision (Switzerland, brass and copper solids in .375 - .510)
Ranges - Shots Ranch (AZ, up to 2200 yards+, membership required)
Training - Academi (removed - max only to 600 yards), Corbon (removed - closed), McMIllan (no longer restricted to McMillan rifle owners), Shots Ranch (AZ), Thunderbeast (removed - cartridge restrictions)
Info - Accurate Shooter (has added a Ballistics and Bullets forum and Applied Ballistics Pro Support thread with support from Brian Litz), TFB Firearms Patent Blog (firearm patents and patent applications)
Admin - site-wide link check complete (removed several other sites that probably shouldn’t have been there and are now gone or dormant)
Site Update (Jan 4 2015):
Additions and updates since Dec 28 2014
Rifles - ARMES Christian SALVA (France, BR and sniper rifles in 338 LM thru 408 CT; in French, use a translator); Center Shot Training/WY (removed, site gone)
Misc/Rifle Cases - Explore Products (aluminum, Kalispel style)
Training - Center Shot Training/WY (removed, site gone)
Link to News Page Archive (earlier News updates)